Sponsored by:

track insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Geico auto insurance covers you as long as it is a HPDE and not a racing event.
I was about to say 'In before someone comes along and claims they're covered by their regular insurance'...

You are NOT covered on track at all by GEICO. Zero. I have insured with them for over 20 years and have spoken with them about this multiple times. It doesn't matter if you're doing a parade lap, you have no coverage from GEICO when you are on a race track.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Well I have my policy and reading the fine print it does not exclude it. I then followed up with a call and spoke to them live after giving them the details and it was confirmed. Specifically they stated on a track in an event that is not sanctioned racing it is covered. I got that from the CA based agent supervisor I also got the conversation recorded and agent number. Not sure what else to do.
Anyone with GEICO, I recommend you call them yourself before you believe this nonsense. I've spoken with them multiple times and they've said 'absolutely no' every time, both for cars and for motorcycles. As I believe dozens of other Rennlisters have.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bossing
This is the verbage I saw in Geico's coverage doc...

"Principal exclusions include: ...damage caused by participation in and/or preparation for any race, speed, demolition, or stunting activity..."

We know HPDE is not a race... but this makes me wonder if they can interpret it as "speed" related activity. Makes me wonder how they define "speed"?
Exactly. "Speed activity" covers anything on track. And you're reading the comprehensive section, not collision. You wreck your car, your coverage will be under the collision coverage.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Exactly. "Speed activity" covers anything on track. And you're reading the comprehensive section, not collision. You wreck your car, your coverage will be under the collision coverage.
I know, it applies the same principal exclusions..... here to make it clearer.
Attached Images  
Old 09-21-2017, 06:41 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Regarding Geico and I am not lawyer, however I would not hang my hat on this provision " damaged caused by participation in an /or preparation for any race, speed, demolition or stunting activity" Wreck a $200K car and see how creative the interpretation of "speed" becomes if you hit a wall at 100++ mph. Personally, I rather drive without worry. This policy would leave me very uneasy on the track.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:44 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Anyone with GEICO, I recommend you call them yourself before you believe this nonsense. I've spoken with them multiple times and they've said 'absolutely no' every time, both for cars and for motorcycles. As I believe dozens of other Rennlisters have.
If you don't have a coverage letter from a Geico underwriter, it is worth excrement.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:28 PM
GeoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 223 Posts

I had Lockton for years, but I went with TheOpenTrack for an annual policy and now find myself tracking more with a single day here and there... rather than trying to take advantage of a six-pack policy that would cover me for multiple days over a weekend.

It's hard for me to commit that much continuous time, but because Lockton covers you by the "event," I often felt like I had to track non-stop from Fri am to Sun pm to get my money's worth.

Now that I have unlimited coverage, I can track whenever my schedule allows, and that also helps with the family time balance.

For my GT4, coverage at $125k, ran just over $5k for a year, taxes, fees included.

As for Geico or any other major carrier, I heard that one guy got dropped just for asking about HPDE coverage. Good luck with those conversations. Always get it in writing...
Old 09-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
If you don't have a coverage letter from a Geico underwriter, it is worth excrement.
Yup. There is no coverage by GEICO or any other major insurer out there. But every time one of these threads pops up, someone comes out the woodwork to spread misinformation.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:41 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Regarding Geico and I am not lawyer, however I would not hang my hat on this provision " damaged caused by participation in an /or preparation for any race, speed, demolition or stunting activity" Wreck a $200K car and see how creative the interpretation of "speed" becomes if you hit a wall at 100++ mph. Personally, I rather drive without worry. This policy would leave me very uneasy on the track.
Originally Posted by GeoJoe
I had Lockton for years, but I went with TheOpenTrack for an annual policy and now find myself tracking more with a single day here and there... rather than trying to take advantage of a six-pack policy that would cover me for multiple days over a weekend.

It's hard for me to commit that much continuous time, but because Lockton covers you by the "event," I often felt like I had to track non-stop from Fri am to Sun pm to get my money's worth.

Now that I have unlimited coverage, I can track whenever my schedule allows, and that also helps with the family time balance.

For my GT4, coverage at $125k, ran just over $5k for a year, taxes, fees included.

As for Geico or any other major carrier, I heard that one guy got dropped just for asking about HPDE coverage. Good luck with those conversations. Always get it in writing...
Yup. There is no coverage by GEICO or any other major insurer out there. But every time one of these threads pops up, someone comes out the woodwork to spread misinformation.
agree with all the above^^
I use Lockton now, but plan to switch to OpenTrack for my 3 cars and unlimited days now that I will have more free time next season
Old 09-22-2017, 07:22 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Is there a European equivalent for OpenTrack ?
Old 09-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Nick Yoskin
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Insurance agent here.
Here is a thought, most commercial ISO forms do NOT exclude "on track surfaces"
Why may cars are titled in my business? LOL
Old 09-22-2017, 04:26 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Lockton has been good by us. Have had claims and they are fair and responsive. Buy it by the event. I know it's cheaper to buy the packages but I don't want to feel compelled to go just to get my money's worth.

If you track enough its foolish not to buy it. With sports/hobbies like HPDE's its not a matter of "if" but "when" if you do it often enough and are pushing to always improve.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:11 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 224 Posts

One thing to note is the max coverage, its in fine print. I bought Lockton coverage for $225K for my RS and it charged me the premium as such, then when I got my document it said the max coverage was $150k (or $175K I can't remember). So i called lockton and asked why do they allow you to buy more when every policy is capped, they said they just do but they would refund me the premium difference which they did.

i still think its a little deceiving to have such a practice but it is what it is, there are only a few carriers and I think Haggerty or someone is the only one that will provide unlimited coverage you select the others all have some sort of max.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:44 AM
tgibrit
Rennlist Member

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by RFGGT3
If you plan to do more than 7 days a year , The Open Track has an annual car only fee with a 5% deductible and unlimited days at many tracks in NA. My rate this year was $4650.
I use Open Track as well, found them easy and responsive to work with and I really like having thew option to run the odd day at short notice and not have to pay a hefty price to Lockton for a one day event.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:24 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Here’s another datapoint for those with geico. They will cover you but with specific caveats.

I had an incident at njmp two years ago and it was covered. I live in NY state. At first they tried to deny coverage but I argued with them that the exclusion list doesn’t include hpde. How you describe the incident is extremely critical but ultimately they covered me. Oddly enough they didn’t drop me and only raised my premium $150 a year.

Quick Reply: track insurance