991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: GT3 to Touring Conversion

Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 PM
mdwac
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts

OP. Appreciate those who passed along constructive comments. Seems nobody has much information, just doesn't seem like it should be all that difficult. The parts that come off could ideally go back on for the next guy. Annoying that Porsche launched a pretty significant feature after locking all of the VIP allocations down....perhaps it was a genius plan to fry folks that flipped R cars, perhaps it was just poor planning. Who knows, but seems pretty poor business idea.

For the especially caustic folks, realize you really weren't attempting to be helpful or practical but: (1) pretty hard with allocation system to dump this car back to the dealer and just get back in line for the touring version.....small dealer....dealer already getting crap from customers who don't like the way VIP allocations work....the are not real excited about giving two allocations to the same guy (2) I won't daily drive it with the wing....flame away....I would without the wing, for me no wing and manual will be a great experience. When I ordered they had not confirmed GT2RS....and I expected to keep a TTS to DD and keep the GT3 for weekend. But since they confirmed GT2RS I would love to DD a GT3 and keep GT2RS for limited driving.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:57 PM
MM3.9GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Too funny. OP has to be trolling; no one is *this* dumb.
Originally Posted by STG
Based on his previous posts and threads, looks like he serious.
Originally Posted by STG
You'd be better off having the dealer sell this car to someone else and hope you can get another allocation.

The Touring has the retractable rear spoiler. You'd need a spoiler, paint, motor, rear grille, lots of wiring and software all with a new center console that has a button for it too.

Possible?? Sure. RJ put a 6 speed into an RS. Anything is "possible".

Worth your while?? Probably not. The cost could be like $15K and a big hit or resale. Worth it?

Maybe better off to see if you can put the RS wing on less the "wing"?

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/w...st-110305.html

For all the hassle and $$$, you could just get into a new allocation and even pay a ADM and still come ahead.

Regardless, getting out of the car is the easiest thing to do. If you didn't like the wing, why did you order it?
He has been a member since 2004, and his first post was in 2009. I seriously doubt he is trolling.

STG's advice is perfect. Get another allocation from the dealer since the dealer can easily sell your car.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:08 AM
bvineyards
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueGT3
then why did you order a GT3 to begin with?

with all due respect....why did porsche make a GT3 without a wing?

I agree with STG's assessment and solution.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:15 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Must have that wingless TTS model...
Old 09-22-2017, 10:58 AM
RDM2418
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd talk to your dealer and see if they'll give you another allocation - maybe someone will trade that wants a car sooner. I wouldn't modify the car for the reasons others mentioned. Or just get a CPO'd GTS and then wait new allocations to be released.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:12 AM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Drive without the engine lid/spoiler
Old 09-22-2017, 01:07 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwac
.....I was really hoping for wingless.....but my order is locked. The wing is a PR problem since I will drive the car every day -- don't want employees seeing it, don't want cops, my wife, etc....
Looks like someone else has done this. What's the story here?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=462178177

Old 09-22-2017, 01:40 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwac
OP. Appreciate those who passed along constructive comments. Seems nobody has much information, just doesn't seem like it should be all that difficult. The parts that come off could ideally go back on for the next guy. Annoying that Porsche launched a pretty significant feature after locking all of the VIP allocations down....perhaps it was a genius plan to fry folks that flipped R cars, perhaps it was just poor planning. Who knows, but seems pretty poor business idea.

For the especially caustic folks, realize you really weren't attempting to be helpful or practical but: (1) pretty hard with allocation system to dump this car back to the dealer and just get back in line for the touring version.....small dealer....dealer already getting crap from customers who don't like the way VIP allocations work....the are not real excited about giving two allocations to the same guy (2) I won't daily drive it with the wing....flame away....I would without the wing, for me no wing and manual will be a great experience. When I ordered they had not confirmed GT2RS....and I expected to keep a TTS to DD and keep the GT3 for weekend. But since they confirmed GT2RS I would love to DD a GT3 and keep GT2RS for limited driving.
IMO if you have the ability to secure allocations for a GT3 and GT2RS, you should have no problem securing an allocation for a touring pack car.

I'm sure there are plenty of dealers who would love to take your new GT3 on trade toward a touring pack GT3. Even more if you're willing to pay ADM on top.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:29 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono
Looks like someone else has done this. What's the story here?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=462178177

While that is technically wingless, I don't think that's what he's going for. I think he's looking for no tail, the clean simple look.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:20 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
While that is technically wingless, I don't think that's what he's going for. I think he's looking for no tail, the clean simple look.
Ah, OK then all he needs to do is swap with the guy who wants to put a wing on his touring!:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...ing-on-it.html

Let's make sure they coordinate and order the same color.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:46 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

Are they any threads for what's involved ?

I intend to trade my GTS 991.1 for a 991.1 GT3 for all the right reasons but I adhore the 911R and GT3 991.2 Touring, but out of my price point. I want a little stealth and would like to take off and store the original parts invest sensibly in a conversion that I can sell on. I think a 991.1 GT3 will be a long term keeper. I'd be happy to perhaps looks at a 911R front front splitter (smaller I think ?) and have a manually adjustable rear wing and look at the rear diffuser (under tray different from memory)

Any other alternatives, I like some ducktails but the 991.1 I don't love, plus it's only the back part of the rear lid

Thoughts appreciated. For those who want to tell me to leave it alone and drive it with the spoiler as Porsche intended, I do hear you, but that's not my question.

Although I'd prefer a manual I will leave the transmission and it's not trying to build a look alike car
Old 03-24-2018, 12:58 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Abhor= regard with disgust and hatred

Adore= worship; venerate.

Adhore= a little of both?
Old 03-24-2018, 01:39 PM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 59 Posts

Adore ! Was going to say typo but alas it was simply a misspelling
Old 03-24-2018, 05:50 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Makes sense 😉
Old 03-24-2018, 07:11 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

A real GT3 has a wing. Either live with it or move on. Jeebus.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice: GT3 to Touring Conversion