Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Got to love RL.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:53 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

So in the pre-Touring day’s I looked into this and the optimal solution is a GT3RS decklid without the wing with blanking plates to cover the wing mount. Not sure if it fits a GT3, but it gives a little duck tail which is tasteful (you can find pics of GT3RS with the wing removed) and does not move like all the other spoilers. On a Carrera/touring, the spoiler opens at speed and also opens on a switch and I believe also for cooling opens. This requires ECU/software and a wire to the decklid spoiler. Fitting a spoiler with just a switch should be easy enough, but you are losing a bunch of functionality.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:10 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

One word - Sawzall.
Problem solved.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:07 PM
Craigy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Easiest solution is to let your dealer have your current car and place a new Touring Pack order.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:17 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by shapiroeric
lol, right.....and I love the thought process....well if I'm going 80 in a 40 and don't have a wing the cops won't see me....and when I leave the house in the morning in my new wingless Porsche my wife won't see it.....but all hell breaks loose with the wing there....
Lol, don't forget the sound. Without the wing it's suddenly quiet when you're shifting around 8,500 rpm...
Old 09-21-2017, 06:19 PM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

then why did you order a GT3 to begin with?
Old 09-21-2017, 07:42 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

I wish Porsche never did this GT3 Touring variation. I think it mocks what a GT3 was meant to be from the beginning.

I think it is a complete embarrassment.

Sure- I am happy for those who wanted an "R" and this will fill that void. Do not get me wrong and this is not directed at any one who wants one and/or is getting one. Congrats to you all it will be a hell of a car

Porsche listened but stooped to levels I never tough they would go.

This is not a GT3 nor an "R" in my mind.

I wish they just called it some thing different and made it a separate model.- That's all
Old 09-21-2017, 08:07 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I wish Porsche never did this GT3 Touring variation. I think it mocks what a GT3 was meant to be from the beginning.

I have a feeling many here agree.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:15 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure- I am happy for those who wanted an "R" and this will fill that void. Do not get me wrong and this is not directed at any one who wants one and/or is getting one. Congrats to you all it will be a hell of a car

Porsche listened but stooped to levels I never tough they would go.

This is not a GT3 nor an "R" in my mind.

I wish they just called it some thing different and made it a separate model.- That's all
I'm getting one and even I broadly agree with you. Honestly I even have a problem with the word "touring" which conjures up images of Aston Martins and AMGs. When for me, and I'm guessing others like me, we want it for the retro/purist hardcore/sleeper mix that the R really nailed. In my mind it's closer to what Porsche's used to be.

OP should ignore the snidely tone of some here, but take their advice. Sell the car back to the dealer and try to get a Touring allocation.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Who really cares what it's called? You could paint Douchebag Edition on the back of a 911R and I'd still pay sticker for one.

And yes, I know, some people would say that should be what it says on the back of my car.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by _fletch
I'm getting one and even I broadly agree with you. Honestly I even have a problem with the word "touring" which conjures up images of Aston Martins and AMGs. When for me, and I'm guessing others like me, we want it for the retro/purist hardcore/sleeper mix that the R really nailed. In my mind it's closer to what Porsche's used to be.

OP should ignore the snidely tone of some here, but take their advice. Sell the car back to the dealer and try to get a Touring allocation.
Thanks.

I reread what i wrote and thought may be it was not well explained and would be misinterpreted

Will be a great car but i do not think i will see it on the street and say-"Hey- that is a GT3". I different model designation would of been ideal. Still it would never deter me to get one if this is what I desired because i would careless what the OP thinks
Old 09-21-2017, 08:29 PM
_fletch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks.

I reread what i wrote and thought may be it was not well explained and would be misinterpreted

Will be a great car but i do not think i will see it on the street and say-"Hey- that is a GT3". I different model designation would of been ideal. Still it would never deter me to get one if this is what I desired because i would careless what the OP thinks
Yup - I agree with many others on here. Should have been called Sports Classic or something similar. I don't care if it drops the GT3 moniker.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:32 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Who really cares what it's called? You could paint Douchebag Edition on the back of a 911R and I'd still pay sticker for one.

And yes, I know, some people would say that should be what it says on the back of my car.
Love your posts.

Humility you can not teach. Separates good from great
Old 09-21-2017, 08:56 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by mdwac
I have GT3 coming in before end of calendar year. Manual. Very excited. Think I am going to keep this longer than any car that I have in awhile.

I was really hoping for wingless.....but my order is locked. The wing is a PR problem since I will drive the car every day -- don't want employees seeing it, don't want cops, my wife, etc....
Who cares what other people think? Get what you want and simply own it.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:38 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Who cares what other people think? Get what you want and simply own it.
Agree with you, but it seems some people buy the GT3 to get noticed because of the wing and somehow think the Touring Package diminishes the size of their... wing.

Quick Reply: Advice: GT3 to Touring Conversion