Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERIOUS test drive in 2015 GT3 today. holy hell

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Catorce
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Great, now I am looking for one. Thanks :-)
Old 09-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Why not just trade the turbo S for a GT3. Way more fun and you can dd it.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:17 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Unconscionable
Great question! It's the reflexes and seriousness of it. Race cars tend to be twitchy and amazingly responsive to even fingertip inputs. I noticed that right away with the GT3. The brake pedal is very firm, like it's saying, "don't push me unless you mean it." It gives you confidence the harder you drive. It has excellent grip. It revs into space. And you're not as cocooned from the elements or sounds as you are in a Turbo S.

Basically, it's taut and serious. It's happiest when it's being flogged around corners and powering out of them. #racecar
Love the enthusiasm towards the GT platform and hearing your experience.

However, I'd define it as a track focused car - not a race car. Apples and oranges.

Enjoy the hunt and purchase wherever you decide to buy!
Old 09-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Why not just trade the turbo S for a GT3. Way more fun and you can dd it.
Omg I want to... but I literally bought the Turbo S a month ago!

I think I'll trade the Spyder for a base GT3 or the ACR and Spyder for a GT3 RS. The ACR is special though.

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
Love the enthusiasm towards the GT platform and hearing your experience.

However, I'd define it as a track focused car - not a race car. Apples and oranges.

Enjoy the hunt and purchase wherever you decide to buy!
I understand. It definitely has race car DNA, whatever that means. Feels like a race car that was turned into a road car rather than the inverse.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:47 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats a great reaction Porsche are very good at developing cars that connect with people in different ways.

However, from a driving perspective and engagement towards the edge my own personal findings have been 997 cup > 996 GT3 > 997 GT3 > 991 GT3.

The 991 is relatively easy to drive (I haven't driven a .2) this is by no means a bad thing - from my perspective if you want engagement some of the earlier models do deliver it in spades allbeit with less over all performance (in the hands of a capable driver).

Anyhow, the most important thing is the test hit you hard which is good
Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

I just had to share this experience.

I'm already bored of my Boxster Spyder I got two weeks ago and went into the dealer today to complain, drive a 718 S, and see if I could find a 981 Spyder in someone else's inventory.

The 718 S, to be honest, bored the crap out of me. It's not just because it's slow and sounds meh. There's no sense of thrill to the power band. It seems to plateau around 4500 RPM and just stay there. No drama. No excitement. The brake pedal feel is a little mushy. Steering input is excellent. Grip was difficult to judge but seemed typical of a Boxster S.

Worst of all, there's no immediacy to the throttle response, which is something I have noticed on other turbo cars like my 991.2 Carrera Cab, Mclaren 570, and even my Turbo S to a lesser degree.

So I told the SA I was considering a GT3 and asked to drive a used one they just got in. SA was shocked I'd never driven one before.

We drove to a closed course on private property and I drove the snot out of it. Back roads, highway, all sorts of switchbacks and tight banked turns. It is a RACE CAR. Everything is immediate and needs to be handled delicately. Throttle response is instantaneous. Steering is taut and even a little twitchy. Grip is immense. Braking, even without PCCBs, is crisp and serious. The engine just revs for days and pulls hard from 5500 RPM. The PDK kicks you in the butt on every upshift and it's even a little jerky on downshifts. The machine literally plugs into your synapses. I know that's hilariously cliche, but it is the only way to describe it. I have owned many serious machines and I've never experienced anything like that.

At the end, when I was ready to give up because I actually thought we'd run out of fuel, my heart was pounding, I was sweating, and I wanted more.

I never drove a 991.1 GT3 because I always wanted the RS. I didn't realize how insane it is for the money ($130-150k???)

Ultimately, I think I decided to order a 991.2 GT3, but I am still undecided. The RS prices are coming down and the dealer wants $30k markup for the GT3. But I know I need one. I simply MUST have one.

Porsche GT cars are truly remarkable in the breath of usability while at the same time having remarkable performance limits and capability always punching way above their weight .This is especially amazing since they are able to provide a sense of occasion every time you get behind the wheel. The reputation of Porsche GT cars are legend and they are never out of place even in the company of supercars many times their price.

Nice .1RS's can be had for anywhere from $10000 to $20,000 over MSRP depending on color and mileage. Word has it that the .2RS will be a very short production run and limited with the base price around 240k. With ADMs and well optioned expect prices near 300k or more.

What does this mean? Now could be the best time to buy a.1 RS as prices could well creep up in the future.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:32 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm already bored of my Boxster Spyder I got two weeks ago and went into the dealer today to complain, drive a 718 S, and see if I could find a 981 Spyder in someone else's inventory.

The 718 S, to be honest, bored the crap out of me. It's not just because it's slow and sounds meh. There's no sense of thrill to the power band. It seems to plateau around 4500 RPM and just stay there. No drama. No excitement. The brake pedal feel is a little mushy. Steering input is excellent. Grip was difficult to judge but seemed typical of a Boxster S.

Worst of all, there's no immediacy to the throttle response, which is something I have noticed on other turbo cars like my 991.2 Carrera Cab, Mclaren 570, and even my Turbo S to a lesser degree.

So I told the SA I was considering a GT3 and asked to drive a used one they just got in. SA was shocked I'd never driven one before.

We drove to a closed course on private property and I drove the snot out of it. Back roads, highway, all sorts of switchbacks and tight banked turns. It is a RACE CAR. Everything is immediate and needs to be handled delicately. Throttle response is instantaneous. Steering is taut and even a little twitchy. Grip is immense. Braking, even without PCCBs, is crisp and serious. The engine just revs for days and pulls hard from 5500 RPM. The PDK kicks you in the butt on every upshift and it's even a little jerky on downshifts. The machine literally plugs into your synapses. I know that's hilariously cliche, but it is the only way to describe it. I have owned many serious machines and I've never experienced anything like that.

At the end, when I was ready to give up because I actually thought we'd run out of fuel, my heart was pounding, I was sweating, and I wanted more.

I never drove a 991.1 GT3 because I always wanted the RS. I didn't realize how insane it is for the money ($130-150k???)

Ultimately, I think I decided to order a 991.2 GT3, but I am still undecided. The RS prices are coming down and the dealer wants $30k markup for the GT3. But I know I need one. I simply MUST have one.

You are right about .1 it is amazing.

I have had many P cars

I am really pissed at my dealer in CT . I am a long time customer, given them a deposit for an RS at MSRP. ......They said i was next but never got the car. Now they are selling .2s at 30K over ???.. That just stinks and Im not the only one who thinks that way .two of my buddies cancelled and are done with Porsche and went to McLaren.

I understand supply and demand concept but this practice will hurt PNA customer loyalty . We as a group should refuse to pay that markup .
I keep my awesome .1 for now
just my 02s
Elliot
Old 09-25-2017, 12:24 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbohead

I have had many P cars

I am really pissed at my dealer in CT . I am a long time customer, given them a deposit for an RS at MSRP. ......They said i was next but never got the car. Now they are selling .2s at 30K over ???.. That just stinks and Im not the only one who thinks that way .two of my buddies cancelled and are done with Porsche and went to McLaren.
I also went to McLaren for a 720S with a long wait, however I will still retain 2 P cars which I very much like. There are plenty of choices these days and its a competitive market place.

Would I consider a GT car again, absolutely, they are without doubt still the best club car you can get (if thats your thing).

The 718 S, to be honest, bored the crap out of me.
Interesting - Motor Trend Best Drivers Car 2017 - (1) Ferrari 499 GTB (2) 718 S (3) 991.2 Turbo S. Have you considered your driving may be the problem, not the car.

Last edited by randr; 09-25-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

I have had many P cars

I understand supply and demand concept but this practice will hurt PNA customer loyalty . We as a group should refuse to pay that markup .
I keep my awesome .1 for now
just my 02s
Elliot
yeah. Probably the same dealer I'm buying from. They went down to $25k for me. I'm going to bite the bullet I guess.

Originally Posted by randr

Interesting - Motor Trend Best Drivers Car 2017 - (1) Ferrari 499 GTB (2) 718 S (3) 991.2 Turbo S. Have you considered your driving may be the problem, not the car.
Meh. Mushy brakes. Weird power delivery. Throttle response is slow. Pronounced turbo lag. No idea what those guys love about the car.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:56 PM
Unconscionable
Racer

In other news, I just drove an RS now. Much shorter drive. Still had some fun.

The RS is a little angrier, hairier, quicker, sharper, rougher... but I'm not convinced it's a substantial improvement. My takeaway is that a GT3 with exhaust, upgraded brakes and maybe aggressive alignment could be just as ferocious.

I defer to those who know the cars better rhan me. And for what it's worth, I am trying to buy the RS lol. It's a beast.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

"yeah. Probably the same dealer I'm buying from. They went down to $25k for me. I'm going to bite the bullet I guess."

No way would I give New Country any thing over msrp.
They have no customer loyalty and are being rippers.

I know there are dealers in NJ at msrp .(not exactly rural area )

Elliot
Old 09-26-2017, 05:31 PM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
..... Now could be the best time to buy a.1 RS as prices could well creep up in the future.
Have you been seeing what has been happening with .1 GT3 prices lately?

Yesterday, there were 169 on Autotrader. Now there are already 171 as of this afternoon. I bet that count will only increase as the .2's continue to get delivered, and winter sets in. Starting to see asking prices in the high $120's these days.

I have not driven a .1 RS, but from the specs and from what all everyone says, I find it extremely difficult to justify the price difference we see currently in today's market. I can't imagine that gap to grow larger in the future, but who knows, crazier things have happened.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:23 PM
Nemesis07r
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mchrono

Yesterday, there were 169 on Autotrader. Now there are already 171 as of this afternoon. I bet that count will only increase as the .2's continue to get delivered, and winter sets in. Starting to see asking prices in the high $120's these days.

I have not driven a .1 RS, but from the specs and from what all everyone says, I find it extremely difficult to justify the price difference we see currently in today's market. I can't imagine that gap to grow larger in the future, but who knows, crazier things have happened.
Good. .1 gt3 is a great car, but lacks the motorsport heritage seen in previous iterations and the up coming one. I'm torn on a .1 myself if I can' get a .2 allocation (chances are looking bleak)
Old 09-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Unconscionable
Racer

"yeah. Probably the same dealer I'm buying from. They went down to $25k for me. I'm going to bite the bullet I guess."

No way would I give New Country any thing over msrp.
They have no customer loyalty and are being rippers.

I know there are dealers in NJ at msrp .(not exactly rural area )

Elliot
I thought that too, but I've called around and the only one available (out of like 20 dealers) was at $40k markup. I've bought a lot of cars in the last year from new country.

If you know of any selling at MSRP, I'll gladly give you a finder's fee lol. Like I said... 20 dealers in the northeast have been emailed.

Originally Posted by mchrono

This is conjecture, but I tend to agree. I think the 991.1 gen will be far less loved than other generations simply because of the greater volume and the PDK. Even the RS is available in high volume.

For $120-130k, what better car can you buy? Viper ACRs are even out of that range now.

I was told that the RS needs the track to be appreciated.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:02 AM
mchrono
Three Wheelin'

Received 413 Likes on 257 Posts

.....I think the 991.1 gen will be far less loved than other generations simply because of the greater volume and the PDK. Even the RS is available in high volume.

For $120-130k, what better car can you buy? Viper ACRs are even out of that range now...
I would pick up a .1 now for $100k if I knew it had a G engine. If a .1 was to depreciate “normally” (say 15% each year), then a 2015 with a $150k MSRP *should* go for about $92k as the 2018’s are being delivered. The reality is that even those .1's asking in the $120’s now, aren’t moving and inventory of .1’s is slowly rising. Winter is Coming.

Quick Reply: SERIOUS test drive in 2015 GT3 today. holy hell