Sponsored by:

Why so much bashing for GT3 Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 01:03 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

For most of porsche history you could have whatever you wanted. Top of the line S, but a targa? No problem. Comfort shocks on an S? No problem. Wide wheels on a 912? Sure. There were some limits, but basically options were just that, options.

For example, I would quite happily take the GT3 engine and 6MT in a base C2 with 5 lug wheels, narrow body with no aero, no RWS, no PDCC, no PTV, no PASM. But I get why that does not happen with Porsche (OTOH you can get a Ram with zero options, but the top of the line cummins engine). GT3 touring is as close as it gets.

I would even be happy if I could get wood trim and wheel and leather to sample on my GT3 touring. I don't get why those options are not available. Seems like free money to Porsche, even if only I ordered it that way. For things like interior and exterior details and paint, the only reason Porsche has for making them not available across the entire line is marketing. Anthracite aluminum reserved for GTS/GT, wood only for Carrera/turbo. No LTS on GT cars. No LWBs on non-GT cars. No ventilated seats on GT cars. It's all silly. There is about $9k in interior options available on the Carrera I would get on my GT3, but can't.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:36 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,083 Likes on 384 Posts

So a car has to have wing to be a bona fida track does it?

Well, just take a look at this video of the 1993 Supercup race when the 964 RS (lightweight and touring) did not have a wing. This one of the most famous Porsche races ever. The driving is downright awesome. These guys had big ***** and did not need a wing to prove it.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:44 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

So you're the guy who keeps speccing wood on these 911's.

GUYS WE FOUND HIM
Old 09-15-2017, 02:47 AM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
So a car has to have wing to be a bona fida track does it?

Well, just take a look at this video of the 1993 Supercup race when the 964 RS (lightweight and touring) did not have a wing. This one of the most famous Porsche races ever. The driving is downright awesome. These guys had big ***** and did not need a wing to prove it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?gl=BE&v=l14d54j28PQ

Man...thank you for posting that. It made my day watching it.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:55 AM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by zmon
this is amusing to read... just because a car does not have a wing its now not a track car!?! like others have said here if you really want a track car, p makes cups and clubsports.

80% of the GT3 an GT3RS on track are not even utilizing their big **** and are getting passed by caymans with no wing

and all the 997 GT3 and GT3RS are now too scared to drive their hard core track car on the track hah
^ Winner
Old 09-15-2017, 02:56 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

GUYS WE FOUND HIM
LOL...always wondered who that was!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:08 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

All this begs the question, does the big WRX/STI wing even do anything?

Yeah we know, all that downforce etc. so does the touring wing not have sufficient downforce? They the same?
Old 09-15-2017, 03:42 AM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GUYS WE FOUND HIM
Haha, thanks for the chuckle
Old 09-15-2017, 03:47 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

GUYS WE FOUND HIM
Ha. What's wrong with wood? Maybe it is all the time I have spent with rovers, jags, and old sports cars, but I absolutely love it (ever see a 993 with the full wood package on the doors and dash, so amazing ....).

To show you how nuts I am, I thought I would get my C2 order with all the available wood (except the shift ****) and black natural leather (see signature threads) before my GT3 and planned to swap the interior into the GT3 and vice versa to get rid of alcantara then sell the C2. I also planned to swap the wing, but that's another story. That way I would have the interior I want: wood, natural leather, heated and ventilated seats, without spending the $40k or so it would be in CXX which actually is not even possible for the MFH wheel or ventilated seats.

Then Porsche came out with the touring and made my life easier.

Now all I have to do is to figure out how to retrofit the wood wheel to the GT3. That will be sufficient wood (with the dash and console trim which are easy) plus I can change radio stations and volume from the wheel. I mean even my negative options Tacoma utility package has buttons on the wheel ....

Did I mention I run snow tires on all my cars year round, even the ones that I don't drive in the snow? And yes, the GT3 is getting snow tires before it leaves the dealer. And cocomats. Because that is how I roll. Old school and uncool.

PS the GT3 touring will match the super V8 Jag (last year of the chrome trim) and the dearly departed Range Rover LWB which succumbed to the tin worm.
Attached Images    

Last edited by evilfij; 09-15-2017 at 04:02 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:51 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Ha. What's wrong with wood? Maybe it is all the time I have spent with rovers, jags, and old sports cars, but I absolutely love it (ever see a 993 with the full wood package on the doors and dash, so amazing ....).

To show you how nuts I am, I thought I would get my C2 order with all the available wood (except the shift ****) and black natural leather (see signature threads) before my GT3 and planned to swap the interior into the GT3 and vice versa to get rid of alcantara then sell the C2. I also planned to swap the wing, but that's another story. That way I would have the interior I want: wood, natural leather, heated and ventilated seats, without spending the $40k or so it would be in CXX which actually is not even possible for the MFH wheel or ventilated seats.

Then Porsche came out with the touring and made my life easier.

Now all I have to do is to figure out how to retrofit the wood wheel to the GT3. That will be sufficient wood (with the dash and console trim which are easy) plus I can change radio stations and volume from the wheel. I mean even my negative options Tacoma utility package has buttons on the wheel ....

Did I mention I run snow tires on all my cars year round, even the ones that I don't drive in the snow? And yes, the GT3 is getting snow tires before it leaves the dealer. And cocomats. Because that is how I roll. Old school and uncool.
Why do you want a GT3 over a C4 or GTS exactly? You're driving the thing year round on snow tires!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:53 AM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
For most of porsche history you could have whatever you wanted. Top of the line S, but a targa? No problem. Comfort shocks on an S? No problem. Wide wheels on a 912? Sure. There were some limits, but basically options were just that, options.

For example, I would quite happily take the GT3 engine and 6MT in a base C2 with 5 lug wheels, narrow body with no aero, no RWS, no PDCC, no PTV, no PASM. But I get why that does not happen with Porsche (OTOH you can get a Ram with zero options, but the top of the line cummins engine). GT3 touring is as close as it gets.

I would even be happy if I could get wood trim and wheel and leather to sample on my GT3 touring. I don't get why those options are not available. Seems like free money to Porsche, even if only I ordered it that way. For things like interior and exterior details and paint, the only reason Porsche has for making them not available across the entire line is marketing. Anthracite aluminum reserved for GTS/GT, wood only for Carrera/turbo. No LTS on GT cars. No LWBs on non-GT cars. No ventilated seats on GT cars. It's all silly. There is about $9k in interior options available on the Carrera I would get on my GT3, but can't.
Well said. Bring back some of the purity of simplicity.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:05 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mech33
Why do you want a GT3 over a C4 or GTS exactly? You're driving the thing year round on snow tires!
Oh no, I would never drive the GT3 in snow (or rain, at least not intentionally in rain). My days of sports cars year round (including snow) ended with the Elise. The flak I caught on lotustalk for that is legendary .... Why GT3? Well, they don't make a 6MT GT2.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:21 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Well said. Bring back some of the purity of simplicity.
The Porsche equivalent of this would do nicely. I mean, who needs carpet in a car anyway.

http://www.lotuscars.com/exige-cup-380

Or just have the .gov let lotus import exiges again.

Quick Reply: Why so much bashing for GT3 Touring?