Why so much bashing for GT3 Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:15 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by R.Deacon
my thoughts summed up to the T

certainly de-lutes the GT heritage , geez next sunroof option to let the hot air out

it's certain to be a wonderful car just don't get that it will limit the # of

proper GT3 cars

oh and as far as proper white only you choose tranny option and 5 llug

or single nut , and for me to live large an *** kicking sound system

so I can crank up the Dead while I'm still alive .

quite the soap box derby from marketing masters
Except there's already been GT3s that were only available with a sunroof a la the 997.1
Old 09-13-2017, 03:39 PM
jeremyr4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised the PDK hasn't come up in this thread yet. I was hoping for back seats but I understand that's probably not possible because of the GT3 certification in the US. But why in the world didn't they include PDK as an option? I live in LA and there's no way in hell I am going to drive a manual touring around town here with our traffic. I love the fact that it's understated, can't get an NA car from Porsche anymore short of a GT3 series, and the one car they make that is understated with an NA engine now comes in manual only when the PDK order rate and use is significantly higher than 50% across the GT3 cars (I don't have the stats in front of me but I'm quite sure this is correct). So this feels like a slap in the face to someone like me and honestly the ONLY reason I can think of for Porsche to do this is to send a clear message to the 911R flippers. Great - this car isn't an option for me solely because they are sending a message to the flippers. Is that what Porsche is supposed to be about or are they supposed to be offering products that conform to what the enthusiasts want? Sorry for the rant but it's just amazing to me that this was done, as it will clearly remove some potential buyers when all it boils down to is a literal tick of the option box (if the option was made available), given that this car already exists with both transmissions!!! Ok - my rant is now done but I hope this makes sense.

As for the potential NA product line, I agree with an earlier post that with all other cars being turbocharged now Porsche should consider spawning a 911 variant that is NA. Not sure if the volume would be enough and it's probably what the GTS should but I'm thinking it could slot in somewhere between the GTS and the GT3 and perhaps be a slightly tuned version of the NA engine. Calling it a 911 GTT (GT Touring) or something similar could work, although I realize it's confusing vs the GTS. Regardless the concept makes sense...
Old 09-13-2017, 03:56 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
It bugs me because there are plenty of Porsche models for people to drive on the street. There are a handful of us out here that want track cars and the touring model again cuts in to the supply. I have owned 5 GT cars (two purchased new) and still can't get an allocation at MSRP. But whatever. I'll get the car I want it's just a PITA.
To me, this is the fallacy of the supposed 'hardcore' enthusiast. The touring is just one more option for the GT3, and it won't change anything in terms of who gets an allocation and doesn't cut supply in any way. And to think just cause someone wants a touring is going to track less than a person with a wing is nonsense. The people I know wanting a touring generally do at least 20 track days a season (here in Canada we got a pretty short season so that's a fair bit). And if you really want a track car, buy a Cup or Clubsport. Cause let's face it, the GT3 is a GT car with a nice engine. It stopped being a hardcore model a long time ago.

Last edited by shizzle; 09-13-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:09 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
Except there's already been GT3s that were only available with a sunroof a la the 997.1
Yes well aware, thanks for the reminder.
I agree with others here , that better
Offered as a build option on a GTS model, rather than deminnish the GT3 pedigree, as well as not add
More demand to the already tuff GT3 allocation challenge; and from the bottom line focus make it a big time pricey option for the
" motor sport touring package "
So a "GTST" Would cost 200+/-
Anyway congrats to guys that will get one, just a little frustrating for the track crowd which I thought was
The focus for a GT car.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:12 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Originally Posted by tstafford
It bugs me because there are plenty of Porsche models for people to drive on the street. There are a handful of us out here that want track cars and the touring model again cuts in to the supply. I have owned 5 GT cars (two purchased new) and still can't get an allocation at MSRP. But whatever. I'll get the car I want it's just a PITA.
HEY hope you can get one GL
Old 09-13-2017, 04:20 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

this is amusing to read... just because a car does not have a wing its now not a track car!?! like others have said here if you really want a track car, p makes cups and clubsports.

80% of the GT3 an GT3RS on track are not even utilizing their big **** and are getting passed by caymans with no wing

and all the 997 GT3 and GT3RS are now too scared to drive their hard core track car on the track hah
Old 09-13-2017, 04:31 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by zmon
this is amusing to read... just because a car does not have a wing its now not a track car!?! like others have said here if you really want a track car, p makes cups and clubsports.

80% of the GT3 an GT3RS on track are not even utilizing their big **** and are getting passed by caymans with no wing

and all the 997 GT3 and GT3RS are now too scared to drive their hard core track car on the track hah
haha, right! amazed more cars don't fly off the road since they have no wings according to this forum.

Every car has a limit, drive to that, wing or no wing. There is an entire ST class of cars....with no wing.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:42 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Because, circlejerk. It's pretty straight forward. Those who want to track it go full Clubsport, for those who want a street car (light and understated) touring package.

In Europe, almost 100% of the people that bought a non-clubsport and sofas wouldn't mind at all a spoiler delete, for a lot of people, it's wacky and vulgar, mostly on a gt3, as it is, again, luke warm, it isn't either a full race car (type) spoiler neither it is an understated ducktail.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:50 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Any P fun on the track
Even if you can't drive
Old 09-13-2017, 04:57 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
Because, circlejerk. It's pretty straight forward. Those who want to track it go full Clubsport, for those who want a street car (light and understated) touring package.

In Europe, almost 100% of the people that bought a non-clubsport and sofas wouldn't mind at all a spoiler delete, for a lot of people, it's wacky and vulgar, mostly on a gt3, as it is, again, luke warm, it isn't either a full race car (type) spoiler neither it is an understated ducktail.
I've tracked street cars, I've tracked race cars, I've raced wheel to wheel. At this point, I would rather track a street car with some safety upgrades that I can drive to and from my local tracks. I don't want a clubsport, and the subsequent trailer/truck that go with it. Many people seem to feel the same way, I don't think that is too hard to understand.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:09 PM
rost12
Racer

Received 222 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
I don't want a clubsport, and the subsequent trailer/truck that go with it. Many people seem to feel the same way, I don't think that is too hard to understand.
Safe to assume he was talking about the "package", i.e. half cage and harness, not one of the not road-legal race cars.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:21 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rost12
Safe to assume he was talking about the "package", i.e. half cage and harness, not one of the not road-legal race cars.
Ahh, makes sense. If only we got that package here
Old 09-13-2017, 05:24 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would love to see an obtainable Speedster with the 4.0
agreed. But I have it from reliable source that the new Speedster, coming soon and essentially a 911 R cabriolet, with be limited to only 356 units, so it will be an exercise in limited numbered production even more limited than the 911 R was. So, too bad for the rest of us.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:30 PM
SANDOVAL
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The all new sleek GT Style.... 911 RFU
*$3,000 MSRP Vinyl R Stripes available at your dealers Parts counter... Because we know you will buy them
Old 09-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
Ahh, makes sense. If only we got that package here
Exactly. I would rather have the Clubsport option available than the Touring option.

Of course, 5-lug wheels and rear wheel steering delete would trump all other options!

I've got it! The standard GT3 should come with cast iron brakes and 5-lug wheels. Add a 'Cars & Coffee' package that includes PCCB's and center locks! Now everybody is happy!

Quick Reply: Why so much bashing for GT3 Touring?