Sponsored by:

Why so much bashing for GT3 Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:05 PM
R.Deacon
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I have no problems with the touring option (not something I would want) as long as Porsche increases production to account for the increased demand as a result. If they don't, I don't understand the purpose since it's not like the GT3 is short on buyers.

It does dilute the GT3 name, though. It's meant to be a track car. They should have just made it a separate model and called it something else.
my thoughts summed up to the T

certainly de-lutes the GT heritage , geez next sunroof option to let the hot air out

it's certain to be a wonderful car just don't get that it will limit the # of

proper GT3 cars

oh and as far as proper white only you choose tranny option and 5 llug

or single nut , and for me to live large an *** kicking sound system

so I can crank up the Dead while I'm still alive .

quite the soap box derby from marketing masters
Old 09-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,382 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by <3mph
Is that a request, or veiled cleaning lady info???
Request- but no secret that some on the "in" have already advised it is coming.

Obtainable???? -no looking good for Mortals like Myself
Old 09-12-2017, 11:14 PM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
Priority number one is make enough GT3's to meet demand. If you want to make tourings and whatever else after that, don't care.
Looks like the ~20 other flavors of 911 will all be turbocharged.

Said another way, The only way to get a NA 911 engine is in the GT3, which seems to be spawning its own product line variants.
That has GOT to put a bite on allocations waiting for here as these numbers are capped by CAFE computations
Old 09-12-2017, 11:22 PM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

The "Touring" version I think satisfies those who were wanting the 911R. Now they have a chance to get something similar to the 2016 911R.

Originally Posted by Ascend
Srsly porsche just gave you what you wanted and now ppl calls gt3 touring ugly. What happened to all those guys praising 991R look.
I fully agree. Branding and or badging do make a difference. It could have been very well a variation of the GTS model.

Originally Posted by LnC993
We tend to associate GT cars with a big rear wing and if Porsche badge this car anything else but a GT3, I think a lot of negative comment will be gone.

But it's just the badge anyway. And I don't look at this car as a GT3 without a rear wing, but instead, I look at this car as a Carrera GTS with a optional "Motorsport Package".
Historically and to the present times, the GT model has been an iconic model for the track focused rats in the PORSCHE brand.

Originally Posted by qbix
Because it's a car that have some features that are against GT philosophy and has GT3 in it's name.
Name it differently and problem is solved. Like 911SB (soft *****).
There was a model named PORSCHE T back in 1968.

"1966-1970
Porsche expands the 911 range quickly, adding an innovative Targa with removable roof panel (1966), Sportomatic semi-automatic transmission (1967), the high-performance 911 S (1967), a lower-priced 911 T (1968), fuel injection (1969) and larger engines (1970)."

Originally Posted by Nick
The T is marketed to those that wanted a R but couldn't get one. Notice the T can only be order with MT. Porsche did this to avoid siphoning of regular 911 sales. It's a cheap R.
Yes, it would have been more apropo it they just revived the PORSCHE 911 T (circa 1968), and PORSCHE could have created another classic revival like they did with the 911R. If that was the case, PORSCHE may have envisioned that the revival of the PORSCHE 911 T can be another round of "Flip Fest."

LINK:
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Originally Posted by orthojoe
I have no problems with the touring option (not something I would want) as long as Porsche increases production to account for the increased demand as a result. If they don't, I don't understand the purpose since it's not like the GT3 is short on buyers.

It does dilute the GT3 name, though. It's meant to be a track car. They should have just made it a separate model and called it something else.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:28 PM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyGT4
Priority number one is make enough GT3's to meet demand. If you want to make tourings and whatever else after that, don't care.
^^^ THIS
Old 09-13-2017, 12:02 AM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by zroom

And what I have learned elsewhere I have more history and am not a noob seem to be archetypes:

(1) The OCD collector.

(2) The omniscient, delusionally egocentric stand-up philosophers.

(3) Trolls and wannabes. No explanation needed.

(4) Enthusiasts.
The worst part of your poignant, accurate analysis is everyone on RL thinks they are in category #4, thereby exasperating the effect of people in categories #1-#3.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:11 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
The worst part of your poignant, accurate analysis is everyone on RL thinks they are in category #4, thereby exasperating the effect of people in categories #1-#3.
Lol! So true!
Old 09-13-2017, 12:12 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Originally Posted by mass27
No.

I'm No. 2.

Except I like to sit when pontificating out of my ***.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:01 AM
03LX470
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I just want a GT3 cabriolet.
The wingless option should've also been offered in cabriolet version with PDK only IMO

i think there's not much love for it because it seems like an after thought only to address the R matter and the GT3 name and a wingless mental image don't go together (while the R did as a distinctive line).

it's also becoming too obvious that Porsche wants to suck the river dry and be every car to everyone and losing the status it once had.

Finally, it's also becoming annoying for some that too many variations are being offered too soon. By the time the enthusiast set his or her heart on something and work on making that wish a reality (finalising, allocation, ordering, waiting), something different is being announced again!
Old 09-13-2017, 02:20 AM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
Sorry to make a new thread about it but I just dont get it

When 911R came out, I heard bunch of guys crying for more 911R and porsche comes out with GT3 Touring with cheaper price, very similar design, improved engine minus CF hood and magnesium roof. And people start bashing it. What the hack is problem here? To be, the car looks pretty damn good and will serve as great 911R replacement + hopefully get rid of flippers since it showed that porsche can really screw these flippers. And yes 911R will depreciate.
Well first of all you have to identify who you mean by 'people' ... cause it's unlikely that it's the same people that were praising the R are the same people who are bashing the Touring. What's happening for the most part is the usual dynamic that there are always a subset of people who do not like any particular thing, but assuming that it's the same people is flawed reasoning.

For my part I did slightly bash the R when it came out, partly because I didn't understand it, and partly because it was a parts bin car marketed as limited edition simply because they didn't have enough leftover parts to make more. At the time I thought Porsche jumped the shark at was basically secretly laughing at customers, sitting in marketing meetings betting with each other on how much they could push the limited edition hook and still get people to buy their stuff. Little did I know that it was a premeditated genius move to rek and recalibrate the speculators market. So as it turns out, in the long term, the R was the best thing that Porsche could have done for the majority of their customers who want the cars to drive them and not as investments.

As far as the Touring package, as far as I'm concerned in as of itself the above is a good enough reason for it to exist ... but it also gives the moderately rich Porsche 'enthusiast' the opportunity to own what is in actuality a better car than the R at a realistic price.

For my part I have been wrestling with the decision on whether to switch my manual allocation to a Touring and I have decided not to. Not only because I plan to track my car but mostly because Porsche already makes a very fast manual GT car without the aero called the GTS. That said I do understand the appeal of the Touring package and love the fact that the option is there. It will make a lot of owners very happy, and what could possibly be wrong with that?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:23 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

imo, for long time, dedicated p-car fans from the days when the company only built hard edged sports cars, it's basically an objection to the dilution of what 'gt3' means - a car that is built to shine on the track, but which can be driven on the street

its the capitalist way...

1) build a brand,
2) cash in on it with a broader audience who wants to identify with the brand
3) laugh all the way to the bank

at the end of the day these are luxury goods for the extremely privileged, so brand purity or not, it's not good or bad / right or wrong...

just a very smart company cashing in on its rich clientele, present and future

being as smart as they are, i am sure they will stop the dilution well before they get to making 911 gt3 sport touring wagons

Last edited by golfnutintib; 09-13-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:32 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,720 Likes on 913 Posts

Originally Posted by SamFromTX
...since I can no longer track.
say what?
Old 09-13-2017, 02:44 PM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Joking aside I am afraid that Porsche is eventually planning to use GT3 "brand" to bump their sales. This is just a beginning and I would call it an experiment.
Have a look what BMW done with M brand. It's just everywhere now. I was a die heart for M cars. They used to rise your blood pressure anytime M car was around (talking here 6-15 years back). Now I feel nausea looking at some **** 2.0d with more M badges than my M3 used to have.

Just wait and see Macans, Panameras and Cayennes popping up with GT3 badge. Call me crazy but it might happen. Same as M were never supposed to be turbo. Now they are turbo, diesel, 4x4 and soon electric M cars (puke).
Old 09-13-2017, 02:57 PM
WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,336 Likes on 702 Posts

The world is ending because Porsche is offering another package for the GT3. Now the brand is a sellout scraping for profits.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:59 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 619 Posts

It bugs me because there are plenty of Porsche models for people to drive on the street. There are a handful of us out here that want track cars and the touring model again cuts in to the supply. I have owned 5 GT cars (two purchased new) and still can't get an allocation at MSRP. But whatever. I'll get the car I want it's just a PITA.

Quick Reply: Why so much bashing for GT3 Touring?