Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so much bashing for GT3 Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

The T is marketed to those that wanted a R but couldn't get one. Notice the T can only be order with MT. Porsche did this to avoid siphoning of regular 911 sales. It's a cheap R.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:17 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

The bigger issue that people should be bitching able is the lack of allocations.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:38 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
Because it's a car that have some features that are against GT philosophy and has GT3 in it's name.
Name it differently and problem is solved. Like 911SB (soft *****).
The version with a wing isn't a "real" GT3 either. If you want a "real" GT3, contact Porsche Motorsports. The name of the car is perfectly adequate and Porsche has historically offered touring versions of their street motorsport variants.

I give your rant 1/2 tender *****.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:59 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
The bigger issue that people should be bitching able is the lack of allocations.
This. I am going 720 or 458S by next week.

I can't even get one with an ADM in Texas.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:30 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

To answer the OP's question, very little substantive discussion is to be found on this forum, instead opinion, preference, and taste are aggressively proffered as factual and irrefutable further diminishing any possible alternative POVs. The perennial MT vs PDK is case in point. Even a peripheral mention of PDK is certain to flush out a rehash on the superiority of the MT. The tenor and content of the Touring Package discourse is not coincidentally similar.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:31 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Priority number one is make enough GT3's to meet demand. If you want to make tourings and whatever else after that, don't care.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:37 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
To answer the OP's question, very little substantive discussion is to be found on this forum, instead opinion, preference, and taste are aggressively proffered as factual and irrefutable further diminishing any possible alternative POVs. The perennial MT vs PDK is case in point. Even a peripheral mention of PDK is certain to flush out a discourse on the superiority of the MT. The tenor and content of the Touring Package discourse is not coincidentally similar.
Maybe it's just my impression but since Porsche started offering both I think the MT vs PDK discourse has shrank considerably. It's only when people are emotionally vested one way or the other that the tenor and discourse seems to get ramped up.

The reason why that's moved to the GT3 Touring vs R is because the R owners are starting to realize that Apollo 13 just got fixed and values are coming back from the moon
Old 09-12-2017, 08:39 PM
SamFromTX
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
To answer the OP's question, very little substantive discussion is to be found on this forum, instead opinion, preference, and taste are aggressively proffered as factual and irrefutable further diminishing any possible alternative POVs. The perennial MT vs PDK is case in point. Even a peripheral mention of PDK is certain to flush out a discourse on the superiority of the MT. The tenor and content of the Touring Package discourse is not coincidentally similar.
Well put.
I am changing my PTS GT3 to the softballs, small d!ck, girly, cheap R, whatever the heck, GT3 Touring. Because it fits my needs better since I can no longer track. I do have to agree that the R looks more streamlined but I can't get an R at a meaningful price so this will do just fine for me.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
Because it's a car that have some features that are against GT philosophy and has GT3 in it's name.
Name it differently and problem is solved. Like 911SB (soft *****).
Lol

or 911 AWF (Attention Wannabe Flipper)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:17 PM
zroom
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
Sorry to make a new thread about it but I just dont get it

When 911R came out, I heard bunch of guys crying for more 911R and porsche comes out with GT3 Touring with cheaper price, very similar design, improved engine minus CF hood and magnesium roof. And people start bashing it. What the hack is problem here? To be, the car looks pretty damn good and will serve as great 911R replacement + hopefully get rid of flippers since it showed that porsche can really screw these flippers. And yes 911R will depreciate.

I won't profess to know the answer to the OP question; not sure anyone can actually provide anything beyond conjecture, partly because IMO, there are likely different motivations at play in the bashing. And I am fairly new to this forum (but old in age and in enthusiasm about Porsches) but what I find striking is how a lot of what I see here is exactly what I see on other luxury/collectible watch, car, other goods forums.

And what I have learned elsewhere I have more history and am not a noob seem to be archetypes:

(1) The OCD collector. He seems to care most, if not only, about having a ton of something others don't / can't have. Rarity. Exclusivity. Resale value. In many cases, he does not even use the thing for or derive enjoyment from its intended purpose (in this case, driving). Mostly just collects. Bragging rights. Chest pounding rights (usually acts like a brand protector, ambassador, and all around know it all for the brand). What he owns is always THE best, the "true DNA" of the brand. Flipping positions and bashing and a fair bit of passive aggressive schadenfreude are all par for the course, and always especially seem to come out if his collection or its value might be called into question. On the other hand, he's happy to bash something while hoarding it if it suits his ends.

(2) The omniscient, delusionally egocentric stand-up philosophers. "A true GT3 is for the track and should have a wing. This doesn't even deserve to be called a GT3. I know what Porsche means by its nomenclature better than their marketing executives. Manual is the only way. The R was meant for this." They seem to know more than Porsche about how the world is or should be or about what suits or is deserved by a particular RLer and what that other RLer should buy and how he should use HIS car. They bash on models and people as well. And they tend to have a laughable sense of entitlement and egocentricity (as do collectors at times) - "We asked for rear seats and Porsche didn't listen, it's unbelievable that they didn't listen to ME" "They don't even give us special colors." As if the company that's been around longer than their parents before them should cater to their wants and needs.

(3) Trolls and wannabes. No explanation needed.

(4) Enthusiasts. They buy the product to use it and derive enjoyment from its function, aesthetics, etc. They come to places like RL for knowledge, to gain and to share it. They tend to be more open minded, curious and question, versus opinion and lecture "I know more than thou" oriented. Resale value or quantify of products in their stable is not the measure of success. They want the best for others, too ("I didn't get an R, I am stoked you did, I hope you don't lose money on it, I am grateful Porsche gave me another model to consider, and I've love to understand its OBJECTIVE pros and cons."

FWIW, it's so cool that a brand that has had an identity for decades unlike virtually all of its competitors (1) continues to evolve and improve its products in a myriad of ways with each new model; and (2) keeps trying to fill gaps and give its enthusiasts and collectors choice; and in the case of the GT3T, even seems to listen to its customers (people who couldn't get an R). That's pretty awesome. If the GT3 T doesn't suit someone, it's pretty simple, don't buy it and enjoy what you have/are getting. And values will do what the market dictate.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,775 Likes on 4,773 Posts

I just want a GT3 cabriolet.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:33 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I have no problems with the touring option (not something I would want) as long as Porsche increases production to account for the increased demand as a result. If they don't, I don't understand the purpose since it's not like the GT3 is short on buyers.

It does dilute the GT3 name, though. It's meant to be a track car. They should have just made it a separate model and called it something else.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:35 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the Touring model would have made more sense with at least 'an option' for the back seats.

Heck, even the GT3 could have this option, since you can't get the ClubSport package in the US, offer to add Seats in place of it.

I wouldn't consider a Touring over a GT3, because the only difference now is no wing? I'd had like it to have 4 seats and then you have a much closer GTS/GT3.

But I like that Porsche sees a void here, based on the fan fare for 911R and is attempting to answer it.

Best Regards,
Dave
Old 09-12-2017, 10:37 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I just want a GT3 cabriolet.
I would love to see an obtainable Speedster with the 4.0
Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 PM
<3mph
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I would love to see an obtainable Speedster with the 4.0
Is that a request, or veiled cleaning lady info???

Quick Reply: Why so much bashing for GT3 Touring?