Sponsored by:

What Message is Porsche sending GT buyers with the new touring pkg

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 11:36 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
I have a feeling we will be seeing more and more of these "packages" and "editions." VAG needs money more than a $5 hooker. Look at BMW (slapping an "M" on everything); same goes for MB and "AMG" badges. Audi will be doing the same here in the US. You will be seeing more "RS" models here due to the success of the RS3 (I actually have an Audi cleaning lady!*). Anyways, they need to sell cars. In the end of the day, good for regular Joes like us and bad for the VIP and uber wealthy folks. Porsche is technically the only pure sports car left (in the sense of manual, RWD, lightweight). Don't tell me M3/4--it's a fat pig compared to a Porsche. And an MX-5 is targeted at a different clientele.

*RS4/5/6 will "probably" be here in the next 2 years according to my source.

Having driven by the vw diesel graveyard off i25 south of Denver just a week ago, I would have to concur....you can't believe how many cars are sitting there, crazy....and that's just the USA cars. We are supposed to be a "small diesel market".
Old 09-12-2017, 11:42 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by jlee504
Wait..the six speed from the R, GT4 and new GT3 is the 7 speed manual with the 7th gear locked out? are you sure? i haven't read this anywhere and I thought when they released the GT4 and R they claimed it was a new gearbox.
He's talking about the PDK in the GT4 Clubsport race car (just standard 7-speed PDK without access to 7th)
Old 09-13-2017, 03:21 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by tgavem
Per the string in the 991.1 section of this Forum, overall 911 numbers are declining so this leaves room for more GT cars.......

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9755...n-numbers.html
Agree with this. Porsche is selling less 911 Carreras, boosters, and caymans lately as the Porsche price premium isnt as easy to mentally hurdle for turbos which lack the emotion of NA sports cars.

The GT3 touring model is a way for Porsche to sell more 911 variants but at a higher price/profit than a 991.2 carrera, while still reserving NA engines only for GT cars.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 AM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Agree with this. Porsche is selling less 911 Carreras, boosters, and caymans lately as the Porsche price premium isnt as easy to mentally hurdle for turbos which lack the emotion of NA sports cars.

The GT3 touring model is a way for Porsche to sell more 911 variants but at a higher price/profit than a 991.2 carrera, while still reserving NA engines only for GT cars.
But they're not increasing the allocations too account for interested buyers so that can't be true. I could walk into my Porsche dealers showroom and order anything from the 911 range, but none of the GT cars.

They have dealers discounting unsold 911's but won't sell people a car they've just announced at a big auto show, no dealer will consider selling you a GT unless you've already bought cars from them, and if you have bought cars from them you haven't bought 'enough' cars from them.

If there's a logic behind that stance I'd love to know it.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:25 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by PantsFire
But they're not increasing the allocations too account for interested buyers so that can't be true. I could walk into my Porsche dealers showroom and order anything from the 911 range, but none of the GT cars.

They have dealers discounting unsold 911's but won't sell people a car they've just announced at a big auto show, no dealer will consider selling you a GT unless you've already bought cars from them, and if you have bought cars from them you haven't bought 'enough' cars from them.

If there's a logic behind that stance I'd love to know it.
Precisely+1000!
Old 09-13-2017, 11:44 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,163 Likes on 503 Posts

Wait..the six speed from the R, GT4 and new GT3 is the 7 speed manual with the 7th gear locked out? are you sure? i haven't read this anywhere and I thought when they released the GT4 and R they claimed it was a new gearbox.

Jimmy..the motor? soooo different you know that!

GrantG answered partially.

The 6-speed manual in the GT4 is different than the one in the 911R, but it's the same one as in the other Cayman/Boxsters and in the current 718 manual box.

The 6-speed manual in the 911R and the new GT3 is a brand new box with close ratios, different than the standard 7 speed manual. "Brand new" might be a stretch though, they took out the 7th gear in the current 7-speed manual box and redo the other 6 ratios. But the shifter and linkage felt totally different, there is no other sweeter shifting manual in the world.

The 6 speed PDK box in the GT4 Clubsport is a standard Cayman/Boxster PDK unit with 7th gear disabled. Same ratios as the normal cars.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:50 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

GT4 Clubsport is only problematic if you crash it or have to race it against mustangs and other GT4 cars- then you obviously need a full crew etc.

It's very much a good learning tool and ABS will save your ***. In a Cup Car you will 100% spin or crash on your first day due to no ABS and the tires we use in the series being essentially junk after 35-40 mins. Or you will just be embarrassingly slow. I destroyed 3 sets of tires before the brake bias started to make sense to me.

GT production has not increased. There is a limit as to how many GT3 engines they will unleash. There is a limit to LWB seats from supplier.

GTS allocations are fairly easy to get by comparison. My dealer won a contest and got a GTS allocation. If I would have won a GT3, the other dealers would have tried to get me lynched. Every dealer has 10-30 too many names and 10-30 too few cars for GT3/2RS

SIDE NOTE-

I too listen. My audi store is currently beginning a special projects division. Our first car is converting an A4 allroad...using RS4 manual trans and 4.2 V8's or 3.0 v6's with extra boost.

Taking orders now with deposits.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:51 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

And technically the gearbox for GT4 CS has the same internals as the PDK-S from the RS. So that hole in torque at 4k Rpms is a bastard.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:57 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
And technically the gearbox for GT4 CS has the same internals as the PDK-S from the RS. So that hole in torque at 4k Rpms is a bastard.

You forgot to mention the looooooooooong 2nd gear.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Jimmy..the motor? soooo different you know that!
PDK.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:41 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Whoopsy - thanks for your response to my post. Maybe I can jump in. Hmm.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:50 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
I think those comments and CJ's observations make it clear that a GT4 CS is practical and maybe even a good idea for the fast end of the track day crowd.

Maybe we should shut up about it now though because if too many people get excited about the idea the pool of available CS cars will start to look even smaller than it already is

On the other hand, if Porsche is watching, and/or those here with more direct influence talk to them about it, then perhaps they'd look more seriously at making more vehicles like the CS that could span from self-support track day use across the divide to entry level racing.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tstafford

Bet you you will be doing faster times in the ClubSport than in the GT3RS

The ClubSport only loses ground on the straights.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Norcalgt3
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

If there's no significant increase in allocations, then the message is a giant middle finger
Old 09-13-2017, 02:17 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

GT production has not increased. There is a limit as to how many GT3 engines they will unleash. There is a limit to LWB seats from supplier.

What would it take to increase this? I would think increasing the LWB production would be easy. Tell the supplier you need an extra 5000 sets next year. They already can replace the center material quickly, so any left overs could easily be used on the next round of gt cars.

Is the assembly line the issue? It just seems silly to me that a company in financial trouble refuses to increase production of something that is guaranteed to sell.

Maybe it will take the shareholders leaning on them, but leaving profits on the table is not something public companies usually do frequently.

Quick Reply: What Message is Porsche sending GT buyers with the new touring pkg