Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Why GT2RS instead of an 812 SuperFast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:01 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Default OT: Why GT2RS instead of an 812 SuperFast?

This is totally random, but checking the prices on mobile, both GT2RS and 812 Superfast are around the same price, I know the GT2 RS is more capable, rarer, but is it a better car (it might be faster) than the 812?

For those wanting their money value, isn't the 800 hp high revving (8900rpm) NA V12 with a 2.0 tdf chassis (1 Million dollar car) a whole lot more value than the GT2 RS?

And contrary to the F12, I see the 812 be a whole lot better on the track (better chassis than the tdf and more low down torque) than the f12.

Those who will get the GT2 RS, why wouldn't you consider an 812 or even choose one?
Would you still choose the GT2 RS if you were paying a premium that would put it at the same price as a decent spec 812?

For reference:
GT2 RS listings
Ferrari 812 Superfast
Old 09-09-2017, 06:30 PM
secretcollector
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Simple - if you own a 2RS, on any given day you can get in it and it will start. Then you can go somewhere, anywhere, and it will get you there (with everything working properly too).

If you own the 812 on the other hand, you're at best 75% to have the above happen, closer to 50% in all likelihood.

Putting the myriad of differences between the two cars aside, and there are certainly pros and cons all over the board with both, the build quality of a Ferrari isn't close to Porsche. I have sold all of my Ferraris and wouldn't buy another, as I find the build quality (especially the seemingly endless electronic failures across the range) to be offensive.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:22 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by secretcollector
Simple - if you own a 2RS, on any given day you can get in it and it will start. Then you can go somewhere, anywhere, and it will get you there (with everything working properly too).

If you own the 812 on the other hand, you're at best 75% to have the above happen, closer to 50% in all likelihood.

Putting the myriad of differences between the two cars aside, and there are certainly pros and cons all over the board with both, the build quality of a Ferrari isn't close to Porsche. I have sold all of my Ferraris and wouldn't buy another, as I find the build quality (especially the seemingly endless electronic failures across the range) to be offensive.
Well, that's a big stretch of the reality. The only problem the f12 had was a bad sealing and the common poor Italian batteries, that's the source of all the electronic glitches, that goes away with a reset or a new battery, that's literally all of it.

So that's argument is totally invalid today (don't know older models), is there anything more than brand loyalty and some wrong preconceptions?
Old 09-09-2017, 07:26 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Deleted.

Last edited by Igooz; 09-09-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:36 PM
Yippiekiaye
Rennlist Member

Received 2,260 Likes on 945 Posts

There are people driving modern ferraris as daily drivers. Plenty of examples of people putting 50,60,70k miles on their 458s, FFs and Californias.

While older Fcars certainly had issues- the suggestion that your Ferrari may not start in the am is ludicrous

Sure porsche is a super reliable car but so are newer ferraris.

Having said that- the reason I would get a GT2 RS over a Superfast is that the modern V12 Ferraris for the most part suffer some pretty good depreciation. Look at F12s. 350-400k msrp cars selling in the mid to high 200ks for a 2 year old car.

I think the Gt2 rs is going to do well in terms of holding value and that is the only reason I would choose one over the Superfast. This is coming from someone who owns a 488 and has a GT3 on order. I have no bias as I love and loathe all brands equally.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:20 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I have a customer with a 38,000 mile FF.

He loves it.

He also loves his Gt3RS, and wants a GT2RS.

I think they both have VERY valid purposes
Old 09-09-2017, 08:57 PM
Houston GT3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is probably a dumb reason, but the GT2RS looks like a race car to me & the 812 looks like a sexy playboy car. I for one prefer the race car look. The 812 probably better if I'm trolling in Monte Carlo😀
Old 09-09-2017, 09:15 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Secret collector - I think you need to give Ferrari another try. You are absolutely correct IMO regarding the older models, but reliability has dramatically improved in recent years. The base 812 will be priced in the mid 300k range and that's marginally higher than the GT2RS. Like CJ said....very different cars, and if I had to choose only one it would be a tough call.

I don't have to "choose" though, since the ferrari dealer I've done business with over the years let me spec an 812 out three months ago with no games or any issues and left it up to me to pick the timeframe i wanted for delivery.

The Porsche dealer (from whom I have bought 9 different new porsches in the past seven years) chuckled and kinda laughed at me when i asked about a GT2RS allocation. He was willing to let me order a car with 20% deposit down and me agreeing to buy the car at "market price" which he would determine when it arrived. I asked what he thought market price would be... and was told "minimum of 75k over". If Porsche doesn't think that it is losing business when they treat their loyal customers this way...I think they are wrong.

That said....it will be an unbelievable car!
Old 09-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Alsarkal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about a new GT3 with the touring package or a slightly used F12? ​​​​​If both were similarly priced
Old 09-09-2017, 10:35 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

as I find the build quality (especially the seemingly endless electronic failures across the range) to be offensive.
Buddy owns a Fiat California bought new. Voice dialing never worked from day one. Dealer made four attempts to fix it then finally told him too bad you don't have voice dialing. Amazing.

BTW, it's the same system and interface that's in my $30k Jeep Wrangler Unlimited except my voice dialing has worked from day one....
Old 09-09-2017, 11:45 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Unless 2RS get fire(991) or something like ims(996) or kill ( or at least try seriously..) yourself as many CGT and 918 did for multiple reasons
(mechanical bullettins available for blind ppl)

Last edited by fxz; 09-10-2017 at 12:30 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:07 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Alsarkal
What about a new GT3 with the touring package or a slightly used F12? ​​​​​If both were similarly priced
neither.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:51 AM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
neither.
Whats your choice?
Old 09-10-2017, 05:08 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

the 812 is not a "racecar" - as an RS is.

but still it will bring you more drama/smiles based on its engine, the hooning supporting engine position, and because F cars know how to party.

with the 2RS you have to go bonkers fast i guess - to get the kicks you need - u have to search the fun in the chassis and the G-force.
better driving an 3RS and go medium fast - same chassis and G-force (except in negative Y axis ) but you will get a better feeling out of the 4.0NA. (i guess)
i´m really curious how the 2RS engine will feel like.

at the end: good question. hard choice. you can´t go wrong.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:22 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Originally Posted by jo_ker
the 812 is not a "racecar" - as an RS is.

but still it will bring you more drama/smiles based on its engine, the hooning supporting engine position, and because F cars know how to party.

with the 2RS you have to go bonkers fast i guess - to get the kicks you need - u have to search the fun in the chassis and the G-force.
better driving an 3RS and go medium fast - same chassis and G-force (except in negative Y axis ) but you will get a better feeling out of the 4.0NA. (i guess)
i´m really curious how the 2RS engine will feel like.

at the end: good question. hard choice. you can´t go wrong.
This is exactly my opinion, but the thing is, the gt2rs will be a 350k-450k car, so for most owners, it won't be a track car, it will either be a show queen or a weekend hour blast car.

My 'gripe' is that cars like Radical exist, these are cheap to run, to buy, faster and more fun than any GT Porsche car, so those wanting a track car have it covered. Then you can just get a nice real GT (f12, 812) that will be a lot more fun on the road than a Turbo car.

Then you have values, even tho Porsche was on a rise, I can't see it go much more time, not with the GT2RS that won't even be the top dog for long and it will not share any of the positives that the past GT2RS had. Plus every supercar will have a sequential/automatic transmission and turbo engine. The f12/812 have a glorious high revving v12, powerful enough to be relevant for a long time.

I really can't see the GT2RS be worth even the MRSP in 5 years time and I can't imagine the NA V12 not appreciating in value at the same scope of time unless they are forbidden.

Quick Reply: OT: Why GT2RS instead of an 812 SuperFast?