Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steels for PCCBs??

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 12:02 PM
SCCAForums
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

PCCB FTW... they should be standard on a GT car.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:31 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
That would guarantee that fewer of them ever saw the track...
Old 09-06-2017, 02:21 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
For the cost of the PCCB's, you could paint your calipers yellow every month for several years if that's your main goal.
THe PCCB "yellow calipers" and the Iron "red calipers" take the same pad shape. The difference between the 2 is small if any.
The yellow calipers work fine with the steel/iron race pad and iron rotors.
Have done over 50 PCCB to iron conversions on GT4s and 991 GT3s using Giro Disc rotors and Ferodo DS1.11 pads for track cars. Package cost is in the neighborhood of $3800. All conversions have been highly successful.
If you can afford $24,000 for rotor replacement or $11,000 for surface transforms....have at it. Most are really happy to go to iron....put the PCCBs on the shelf...and put them back on when the car is sold.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 09-06-2017, 11:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,787 Likes on 4,776 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCAForums
Originally Posted by GrantG
That would guarantee that fewer of them ever saw the track...
Much of the evidence here on RL is based on the Gen II PCCBs.

Do you have a good sampling of the durability, track or otherwise, of the Gen III PCCBs on the current 991.1/2 GT3/RS cars?

I have not heard of many, if any, PCCBs needing replacement from track use on a GT car (I know of one on a TTS, but we all know those cars are heavier).

Just anecdotally, I know of someone who is now on their 3rd GT3 engine, but their original PCCB rotors, and this is after probably close to 7k track miles, if not more by now.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:35 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Much of the evidence here on RL is based on the Gen II PCCBs.

Do you have a good sampling of the durability, track or otherwise, of the Gen III PCCBs on the current 991.1/2 GT3/RS cars?

I have not heard of many, if any, PCCBs needing replacement from track use on a GT car (I know of one on a TTS, but we all know those cars are heavier).

Just anecdotally, I know of someone who is now on their 3rd GT3 engine, but their original PCCB rotors, and this is after probably close to 7k track miles, if not more by now.
Good points. We are missing solid data of PCCBs used on tracks.
I know one case of my friends' where his PCCBs (fronts) lasted for 40.000km with 4000km of really heavy track use. He is a skilled driver and was giving hard time to his car.

Another option worth considering is to take PCCBs off at the dealer's when they are spanking new and putting Surface Transforms if they are that good.
OEM rotors for sale. That could possibly cover the cost of replacement.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:37 AM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 34 Posts

Always an interesting subject, especially with all the different experiences.

I've always track cars with iron brakes. 997 GT3 or 991 GT3 work really fine with it.
Actually, the RS has PCCB, it works even better i believe, not much in strenght but in endurance.

The problem, as everybody underlines it, is the cost.
And i think because of it, i'll put Giro package on.

What about the DS1.11 you're talking about? Which brand is it? Can't we use the original pads with the iron girodiscs?
Old 09-07-2017, 04:00 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smookey

I've always track cars with iron brakes. 997 GT3 or 991 GT3 work really fine with it.
Actually, the RS has PCCB, it works even better i believe, not much in strenght but in endurance.

What about the DS1.11 you're talking about? Which brand is it? Can't we use the original pads with the iron girodiscs?
I believe you are talking about Giro rotors to PCCB calipers?
That is as stated earlier a lot of added rotating mass. If I planned to use iron rotors from the start then I think it's just better to go with red calipers from the factory.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:08 AM
Jangobipbip
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes, i'm talking of installing giro iron on PCCB calipers.
I would have chosen iron brake with of course red calipers if i could have ordered the car. Unfortunatly, i bought it ever configured, and must have accept PCCB with their incredible cost...
And as i track the car a lot, it is going to cost me an harm.
That's why i'm ready to accept more rotating mass. 15 or 20K per year only for the brakes is out of my league.
But if i could, i would keep them!
Old 09-07-2017, 04:20 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

Yes, i'm talking of installing giro iron on PCCB calipers.
I would have chosen iron brake with of course red calipers if i could have ordered the car. Unfortunatly, i bought it ever configured, and must have accept PCCB with their incredible cost...
And as i track the car a lot, it is going to cost me an harm.
That's why i'm ready to accept more rotating mass. 15 or 20K per year only for the brakes is out of my league.
But if i could, i would keep them!
Then it makes absolutely sense.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:21 AM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

DS1`.11 is Made by Ferodo and it currently is the most popular pad for GT$ and 991 GT3.
Yes you can use the OEM with Giro Disc rotors..
Old 09-07-2017, 10:55 AM
jadski
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I vote for steel/iron if you track

I had PCCB's on my on my '15 TTS and tracked it regularly. I am red group driver with Chin at Barber and Rd Atlanta. I completely toasted the stock pads after just 2 weekends and my rotors were beginning to show wear. The TTS is a little heavier and the ceramic pads are a different ceramic from the GT3, but the rotors are the same. When I found out that the replacement rotors were $5K/a piece, I did the Girodisc iron conversion and feroda pad conversion. They did increase weight by approximately 10lbs/ wheel. This was an incredible set up. I could not tell any difference in handling. I actually ran my fastest laps at RA and Barber after conversion with a 134 at RA and 137 at Barber. I actually liked the feel of the conversion better as they seemed to have a little better initial bite. I had no regrets with the conversion. Those were my only two weekends on the setup because then I put it back to stock and traded for a GT3 with steel/iron. I actually have my Girodisc rotors for sale if anyone interested. They're listed here on rennlist. I hope this is helpful. Thanks
Old 09-12-2017, 06:25 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I might be wrong, but it sounds a bit strange to me why you would buy the PCCB and immediately replace them with cast iron ones.
Why not just get the stock cast iron ones ? Saves money, less mass, no complaints about performance either, no guarantee issues, ... ?
Old 09-12-2017, 10:48 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I've had 3 GT3over the years all with PCCBs - but ran on steel/iron rotors because of cost.

You order/keep the PCCBs for resale - pure & simple - PCCB cars are more desirable on the used market - and perfectly fine on the street - cost from factory option is manageable and will improve the car indefinitely - post factory conversion to PCCB is very very expensive.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:41 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
You order/keep the PCCBs for resale - pure & simple - PCCB cars are more desirable on the used market -
I'm not convinced. When I check mobile.de I see 2213 Porsche 991 for sale. 56 of those are PCCB. That doesn't spell desirable to me.
When I check Porsche 991 GT3 I get 403, 26 of which are PCCB?
That spells undesirable to me !
Feels to me you spend 10k up front but you will never recuperate them come sale time. Cheapest cast iron car 125k, cheapest pccb car 132k.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:57 AM
qbix
Burning Brakes

I am going to get Surface Transforms and replace PCCBs at the dealers. Cost 12k usd. Should be able to get most of it back by selling PCCBs rotors.

Quick Reply: Steels for PCCBs??