Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOT a MT vs PDK Debate - Effect on MT driving of tech such as auto-rev-match

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 10:38 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 224 Likes on 145 Posts

In the GT4 the rev matching is a blast sometimes. It's good fun.
Beauty is, that it's easily turned on or off. Really that simple.

I used it about 60% out on track. Never on the street.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:45 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by STALKER99
In the GT4 the rev matching is a blast sometimes. It's good fun.
Beauty is, that it's easily turned on or off. Really that simple.

I used it about 60% out on track. Never on the street.
I agree. I would say I'm about the same. A lot of people say you shouldn't be driving a manual if you don't heel toe all the time, but I find auto rev matching pretty fun on the track sometimes and it is still more engaging than pdk. I manually heel toe on the street, but sometimes on the track when I want to focus on other things I prefer to use to auto rev match. It also sounds amazing. I love that Porsche gave us the option to use it or not. I especially like how the car starts off with it off. It would be annoying if it were vice versa.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:59 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

I thought I would never use the auto rev match in the GT4 but it's actually kinda awesome. It's on for me 100% of the time in NYC traffic since you never know when a wayward cyclist is going to make you downshift and unless I want a taxi in the trunk, most of the time I'm not going to get into the brake pedal hard enough to get a good position for heel toe anyway....
Old 09-05-2017, 04:01 PM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

I didn't think I would use it much on my GT4. However I went from very rarely using it to almost always using it when out for a sporty back road drive. I use it exclusively on track though. I'm still learning so it's one less thing to get wrong. I have had an expensive shift in my E92M3 coming down the back straight of Gingerman in my old e92M and that wasn't fun. The rare time I take it to work I will leave it off. Plus the computer aggressively revs the motor to just the right spot, sounds super cool

Last edited by richardbf; 09-07-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:34 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

The level of computer control still on the clutch and throttle in the regular 991.1 7MTs (and GT4) is why I'm not getting a MT GT3. Not driven the 911R so can't comment, but having owned 2 7MTs 991 found it more irritating than truley connected. Add to that the electric steering and it just diesnt feek analog to me. . If I want an analog experience I will drive a much older car.

If I could only have 1 car, I would probably still order the 3 in PDK.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:53 AM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
The level of computer control still on the clutch and throttle in the regular 991.1 7MTs (and GT4) is why I'm not getting a MT GT3. Not driven the 911R so can't comment, but having owned 2 7MTs 991 found it more irritating than truley connected. Add to that the electric steering and it just diesnt feek analog to me. . If I want an analog experience I will drive a much older car.

electronic control on the clutch?
Old 09-06-2017, 11:43 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 973 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by richardbf
I didn't think I would use it much on my GT4. However I went from very rarely using it to almost always using it when out for a sporty back road drive. I use it exclusively on track though. I'm still learning so it's one less thing to get wrong. I have had an expensive shift in my E92M3 coming down the back straight in my old e92M and that wasn't fun. The rare time I take it to work I will leave it off. Plus the computer aggressively revs the motor to just the right spot, sounds super cool
so does this rev matching feature more or less prevent you from having these potentially catastrophic miss-shifts? Ive never owned a car with this feature, only old school manuals. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:53 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,899 Likes on 4,822 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
so does this rev matching feature more or less prevent you from having these potentially catastrophic miss-shifts? Ive never owned a car with this feature, only old school manuals. Thanks in advance.
No
Old 09-07-2017, 12:05 AM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 608 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ

Not sure what you're talking about on the GT4... I've only driven manuals all my life and don't notice any odd computer control feeling of the clutch or throttle in my GT4.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:41 AM
richardbf
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
No it doesn't prevent you from doing something very stupid but I'd bet if you used it a lot you'd do a lot less clutch wear. Doesn't stop you from going to 2nd instead of 4th lol.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:24 AM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Not sure what you're talking about on the GT4... I've only driven manuals all my life and don't notice any odd computer control feeling of the clutch or throttle in my GT4.
Take the car or a drive and really play with the transmissoon - watch for when the gear change registers on the computer, do a few stupid things and stalls etc. Don't just drive as intended and you will see how much the ECU is still involved.

Then do the same thing in an older 911.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:29 AM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

Some spirited driving this morning and gave some time to try to Auto-Rev in Sport Mode. Don't think its for me on street driving but Wow I can't wait to try it on the track in a month's time. I don't see it as a nanny at all, its just another level of engagement with the car - hard engagement into gear, audio thrill from the engine, and allows the driver to focus. Pretty cool.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:58 AM
cox1974
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by juanpablo046
Can't talk about the GM software but on the GT4 the auto blip works VERY well. Just what you would be doing to rev match (perfectly of course, not as me &#129318

The best I think would be to test drive a GT4
Correct!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:35 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,401 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueGT3
Some spirited driving this morning and gave some time to try to Auto-Rev in Sport Mode. Don't think its for me on street driving but Wow I can't wait to try it on the track in a month's time. I don't see it as a nanny at all, its just another level of engagement with the car - hard engagement into gear, audio thrill from the engine, and allows the driver to focus. Pretty cool.
Auto-Rev is the best. If you do not like it; do not turn it on. I turn on all the time during my spirited street drives. Love the sound and it does hold revs on upshifts (heck of a lot more pronounced than on the GT4) which was a complaint but now that I have gotten more miles on her I really do like it.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:57 AM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Auto-Rev is the best. If you do not like it; do not turn it on. I turn on all the time during my spirited street drives. Love the sound and it does hold revs on upshifts (heck of a lot more pronounced than on the GT4) which was a complaint but now that I have gotten more miles on her I really do like it.
I like it as well but it does feel different to an old school manual. The throttle response also feels a little diff in sport mode and couple that with the hill hold feature on the street and the "slip" of the clutch as it engages does feel electronic. Again, a minor variance and one that I don't mind, but I do feel the new manuals are appraoching the tech of a PDK and less like older technology. I look at it this way, still has all the fun of a row your own gear box and clutch pedal but in a modern container. I'd still have the PDK over the 6speed on the track but on the street much more fun in the Touring.

Quick Reply: NOT a MT vs PDK Debate - Effect on MT driving of tech such as auto-rev-match