Sponsored by:

NOT a MT vs PDK Debate - Effect on MT driving of tech such as auto-rev-match

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

In the 991.2, the experience is different than in the .1. Not sure where the GT4 falls, would suspect it mirrors the 991.1 since no rotary controller on the wheel.

Normal - no rev match
sport - no rev match
sport plus - rev match

Normal - no rev match
Sport - rev match
Sport plus- rev match

I don't drive my .1 in Sport Plus enough to know if rev matching is for me. I will say that it's super smooth and I've never had an issue. It's nice in that you can really modulate the brakes well instead of heel-toeing and having to worry about your right foot changing brake pressure as it rolls onto the gas. I should say that 1. I never knew how to heel toe until last year as I haven't owned a manual car in a long time and 2. At 6'2" and size 13 duck footed feet, my legs are not set up for vertical foot positioning. I sit with my toes canted out at the top, heels in....totally opposite what you want for heel toe. So while I can do it, I'm sure I'm not nearly as smooth as others.

I like the tech, but would be happier if there were a completely independent on / off setting. I'm not sure if this is one of the settings in the .2's individual mode as I've not driven a .2 MT.

I will say it's still more work / engagement / whatever than a PDK car. You still clutch and shift. Whether that's a good thing is up to you, but it's still more of a manual trans experience than closer to the PDK, even the PDK-S. Actually I should say especially the PDK-S because that baby is just SO lightning fast in its shifts it really throws into relief how slow a manual transmission is.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:33 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Just to be clear: The SPORT button is solely for the purpose of turning ON/OFF the auto rev matching
This isn't the case in the GT4. In the GT4 the button activates rev matching and also changes the the operating temperature and I believe engages the third radiator (which the car also does on it's own in "normal" mode depending on need).

Maybe it's different in the .2 GT3 - I've not driven one (obviously).

To the OP's question - yes, the rev matching eliminates any need for heel/toe.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:40 PM
rsierra
Banned

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Assuming it's the same as the GT4 it renders heel/toe obsolete. It rev matches perfectly every time, I use it and feel it does not dilute the driving experience.

I've never seen anyone manually rev match perfectly every time.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:42 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Just a clarification on the GT4 sport mode- "sport" mode does not affect the center radiator per se. All 3 radiators are always active. The thermostat has a heating element in it. For sport mode the element heats up causing the thermostat to effectively operate the cooling system at a lower temp than normal mode. Driving in normal mode aggressively as in track driving will also activate the sport thermostat mode.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:09 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

One thing cool about the Auto-Rev-Matching is that it can help you learn the right rev range/blip to use so you can do it better yourself. So I would think it would be useful to turn it on at the track (or on the street) for a while to understand it better.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:37 PM
juanpablo046
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
In the 991.2, the experience is different than in the .1. Not sure where the GT4 falls, would suspect it mirrors the 991.1 since no rotary controller on the wheel.

Normal - no rev match
sport - no rev match
sport plus - rev match

Normal - no rev match
Sport - rev match
Sport plus- rev match

I don't drive my .1 in Sport Plus enough to know if rev matching is for me. I will say that it's super smooth and I've never had an issue. It's nice in that you can really modulate the brakes well instead of heel-toeing and having to worry about your right foot changing brake pressure as it rolls onto the gas. I should say that 1. I never knew how to heel toe until last year as I haven't owned a manual car in a long time and 2. At 6'2" and size 13 duck footed feet, my legs are not set up for vertical foot positioning. I sit with my toes canted out at the top, heels in....totally opposite what you want for heel toe. So while I can do it, I'm sure I'm not nearly as smooth as others.

I like the tech, but would be happier if there were a completely independent on / off setting. I'm not sure if this is one of the settings in the .2's individual mode as I've not driven a .2 MT.

I will say it's still more work / engagement / whatever than a PDK car. You still clutch and shift. Whether that's a good thing is up to you, but it's still more of a manual trans experience than closer to the PDK, even the PDK-S. Actually I should say especially the PDK-S because that baby is just SO lightning fast in its shifts it really throws into relief how slow a manual transmission is.
Does the GT4 Sport + option actually exist?

I also believe the accelerator map is changed along with the cooling temp ranges.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:13 PM
batmanm3
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing that I was wondering about that has not been mentioned here is that the MT gets a mechanical diff and the PDK gets an electronic one.

What is the difference from a performance point of view? Is the electronic diff a continuously variable unit that adjusts the locking ratio depending on grip/wheelspin?

Would this also contribute to the MT being a bit slower on track ?
Old 09-04-2017, 09:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by batmanm3
One thing that I was wondering about that has not been mentioned here is that the MT gets a mechanical diff and the PDK gets an electronic one.

What is the difference from a performance point of view? Is the electronic diff a continuously variable unit that adjusts the locking ratio depending on grip/wheelspin?

Would this also contribute to the MT being a bit slower on track ?
Mechanical Diff can't be too slow if 911R is faster than 991.1 GT3 at Hockenheim and .2 Manual only 3 sec slower than PDK-S on 13-mile Ring. But electronic diff probably is more durable...
Old 09-04-2017, 11:40 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by juanpablo046
Does the GT4 Sport + option actually exist?

I also believe the accelerator map is changed along with the cooling temp ranges.
Yes. You can turn on/off rev-matching in the GT4, but the damper settings are only Normal and Sport. GT4 experts chime in. I've driven one with and without rev-matching and appreciate both being available. It allows someone who is focusing on honing different aspects of their driving skills to minimize any unsettling of the balance by imperfect rev-matching, for instance on a wet traction circle when you may want to just focus on steering and throttle control.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

porsche rev matching is done extremely well in GT4

it can be turned off completely.

everyone can rev match but very very few do it right, and that includes many BIG name pro drivers. but just bc we do it wrong doesnt mean it's not fun.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:13 AM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
One thing cool about the Auto-Rev-Matching is that it can help you learn the right rev range/blip to use so you can do it better yourself. So I would think it would be useful to turn it on at the track (or on the street) for a while to understand it better.
+1. It serves to remind me that I'm not as good a driver as I sometimes like to think. I vary between on/off and try to learn from it every time I drive GT4.

Vivian
Old 09-05-2017, 04:46 AM
greenhorn
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems like I'm the only one enjoying the GT4's revmatching on the road.

Low speed town driving becomes so much smoother as the engine is always at the correct revs when the clutch is released after a gearchange - no jerks through the drivetrain and chassis.

I'd risk to say that in the very long run it might help with durabilty of the entire drivetrain.

Using it on track is a no brainer if you're after the times - impossible for anyone to heel toe with such precision every time. Just turn it off when you want to hone heel toe skills.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:25 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
porsche rev matching is done extremely well in GT4

it can be turned off completely.

everyone can rev match but very very few do it right, and that includes many BIG name pro drivers. but just bc we do it wrong doesnt mean it's not fun.
A big part of the manual experience for me, is on the limit braking, coming down the box and heeling and toeing - seeing how well you can synchronise everything and keep the car and engine fully under your control. It's a skil to aim to perfect each time, not a consistent switch. the best golfer or tennis player or skier doesn't execute perfectly each time, the best racing driver has never driven a perfect lap

When yiu get to using revmatch, my own opinion would be just to go PDK. I think you are on the wrong side of fooling yourself that it's a manual if you are just dipping your left foot and pulling a lever. Save the foot, and just pull a paddle!

No issues if anyone disagrees obsiously, and as has been said, it can be switched off or on at will. ( Mine's not going on, ever...)

Old 09-05-2017, 08:05 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

I think Rev matching is a nice half way point between PDK and full heel toe. For anyone turning up at a track on the odd occasion, there is a lot to get back in sync and do safety / proficiently just for the day. I would envisage you could run a few sessions with it on and when feeling in sync turn it off. But would be nice to have it as separate button.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:24 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,721 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldmxnut
But would be nice to have it as separate button.
It is - Sport button does nothing else noticeable.

Quick Reply: NOT a MT vs PDK Debate - Effect on MT driving of tech such as auto-rev-match