Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got a GT3 allocation, but I need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 04:04 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

If you don't want the allocation i would take it and put 20 k down.
If you are thinking about it to much its not a good thing.

Maybe the dealer saw or felt that from you and that's why they are concern.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:16 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006m5

Seriously this. You're buying a ~160-180k car all said and done, 10k is a drop in the bucket.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:23 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^Yup. You're a first time customer getting it at msrp. Like you said, you're lucky. And I'm sure the dealer knows that. It's a two way transaction so asking for a deposit when they have a line of people Knocking on their door for the car is perfectly fair imo. Given the demand, if one is serious about buying the car shouldn't have an issue with the deposit.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:11 AM
InnovateGT3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drop the $10k and don't look back.

I'm in the same boat...first brand new Porsche purchase and first time customer at my dealership. When they asked for a $10k deposit and it is for MSRP, I was quick to throw it down.

Once they see you're serious the "game" changes...now I'm V200 with both lock and production dates.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:36 AM
Marto
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put down 25k Euro back in March for a September delivery (subsequently changed to December for MT). Car at MSRP. Never occurred to me that wasn't fair enough...
Old 09-04-2017, 12:39 AM
Todd B

Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 325 Posts

$10K is nothing, if you end up tracking the car, you'll spend that in a summer on consumables/maintenance.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:47 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Do the deal! 👍🏽
Old 09-04-2017, 01:10 AM
Nemesis77
Intermediate

Originally Posted by disden
Congrats on getting a build. Good choice in doing ED. A few thoughts:

find a local car with buckets. My wife hates them. If using this car for track, get them. If not- don't. Parking spaces overseas are tiny, good luck climbing out of those buckets without being able to fully extend the doors. Also, not aware of any changes to buckets. My ED is next month, getting 4 way sofas for comfort/-- my RS is for track.

Get the lift. You won't be able to get into parking garages without it.

Ive done quite a few EDs, most importantly think about parking at places you are staying. Find hotels with good parking- makes a difference.

Also, if plans are to hit big massive cities, rethink. ED is best for mountain passes and smaller areas. Otherwise you will spend entire trip fighting traffic. PM if you want some great ideas. Enjoy and congratulations!
I'm working on the itinerary, since the focus will be to go to specific race tracks, Nurburgring, Spa, Monza, Hockenheim. Not too many visits to major cities. Definitely I would love to hear some more suggestions (Napoleon pass, different routes through the Alps etc). I won't be getting the lift system since this will be a track car (unfortunately I don't have an RS either)

As for the seats, I will try to see if my dealer has any cars with the seats so I can try them, I'm sure at some point before the build is locked up I will get to try them.
Thank you for all the suggestions!
Old 09-04-2017, 01:15 AM
Nemesis77
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2006m5

Nah, the dealer will try to get as much as they can. They do know me since I have been going to them for a number of years now, they do know that I have had other sports cars and track cars in the past, so that's not the concern and I have been talking about that GT3 for sometime. I just want to see what kind of approach other people have had in the past. After all the ED will be at the end of May 2018.

As for me giving up the allocation; maybe in another life!
Old 09-04-2017, 01:19 AM
Nemesis77
Intermediate

Thank you everyone for all the input. I'm going to do my best and get this deal wrapped this week. I will let you know how it goes.

Now, for the serious part of things. I was thinking yellow with black... I'm not sure how many would do such a combination. To be honest I haven't seen any yellow GT3s.

My other choice would be the GBM.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:26 AM
Nemesis77
Intermediate

Originally Posted by signes
Neither of those would stop me at all. Since you have no history with them the $10k is to make sure you're a serious buyer and not a dreamer. More and more of than around w easy money these days. (Easy for dealer to reallocate it if you back out and can also be easily changed to US delivery, but they don't want to deal with somebody flaking out.) As mooty said just get it in writing. The $3k is no big deal either, small price for the kind of experience you get - ED for. GT car is priceless.

LWB seats are great. I did 3k miles in 8 days when I picked up the RS and was very comfortable. They are the same size as every other 991 GT car, Spyder and 918. Not sure who is telling you they are different (perhaps they meant to the 997 buckets...)
Thank you for your response! This makes me feel much better about the LWB!
Old 09-04-2017, 02:12 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

a 10k non refundable deposit is what i wish all dealers would ask for, it would help to kill the flipping market
Old 09-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Nemesis77
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WernerE
If you change your mind the $10k deposit is not lost, as you could buy the car and recoup the deposit by reselling above MSRP.

Contact the Dept. of Licensing in your state to learn 2 things: 1. Whether nonrefundable deposits are legal and 2. Whether the dealer is required to hold your $10k in a trust account (for your protection).
I will for sure do that! My dealer will do whatever they can in order to get the maximum as a business transaction, but they will not screw a long term loyal customer, they do have a great clientele base and for sure they don't want to risk and bad rep.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Nemesis77
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dark knight
a 10k non refundable deposit is what i wish all dealers would ask for, it would help to kill the flipping market
True to that!
Old 09-04-2017, 11:19 AM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Nemesis77
Thank you everyone for all the input. I'm going to do my best and get this deal wrapped this week. I will let you know how it goes.

Now, for the serious part of things. I was thinking yellow with black... I'm not sure how many would do such a combination. To be honest I haven't seen any yellow GT3s.

My other choice would be the GBM.
PM me if you want pictures of this color combo...I have lots and didn't want to clutter up this thread with them...on-track and road pics also

Quick Reply: I've got a GT3 allocation, but I need some advice!