Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   991.2 GT3 Break-In Procedure (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1023172-991-2-gt3-break-in-procedure.html)

Engeljizzle 08-31-2017 08:24 PM

991.2 GT3 Break-In Procedure

Anyone know of the new break in steps yet? Max RPM for how many miles?

I'm doing an Oct 19th ED on my car and I plan on doing both Spa and the Ring. By the time I get to the ring, which will be my first stop, the car should have around 1400km. Safe to beat on it? I would even consider getting an oil change done while I'm there before tracking it. Are the break miles typically a "recommendation" or a "requirement"? I'm more worried about my warranty than anything.

"I just wanna go fast.."

SCCAForums 08-31-2017 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle (Post 14448563)

I'm doing an Oct 19th ED on my car and I plan on doing both Spa and the Ring. By the time I get to the ring, which will be my first stop, the car should have around 1400km. Safe to beat on it? I would even consider getting an oil change done while I'm there before tracking it. Are the break miles typically a "recommendation" or a "requirement"? I'm more worried about my warranty than anything.

"I just wanna go fast.."

I'm Nov 6th ED, and same scheduled, SPA & the RING! Curious to know the answer... but I thought it was more like first 500miles... then we're ok to beat on it.

My personal opinion is it's still good to rev them to redline, but not 'shock the drivetrain' be sure to shift easier, etc... but still excercise (at times) all the RPM.

Curious to hear other's opinions as well.

Best Regards,
Dave

scb997 08-31-2017 09:40 PM

On the 991.1 GT3, Porsche recommended something like 4,200 RPM max until 2,000 miles. I think that very few people really did that. I kept it under 4,200 until about 1,000 then added another 400 RPM every 100 miles until I hit the 2,000.

Scott

GrantG 08-31-2017 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Engeljizzle (Post 14448563)

"I just wanna go fast.."

There is no break-in requirement for your warranty. The break-in instructions in the manual come under the heading "Hints for best performance" or something like that (I remember the word Hints from my GT4 manual).

I have read several times on Rennlist (don't remember the thread(s)) that every one of the 991.2 GT3 motors is test run on a dyno to redline before delivery now.

All that being true, I still think it is advisable to observe AP's recommended procedure (or something slightly accelerated, ending around 1,300km as he says below):

KM_______MAX RPM
0-499_______ 5k
500_________5k5
700_________6k
900_________6k5
1100________7k
1300________7k5
1500________8k
1700________8k5
1900________9k

From Rennlist post:

"I videoed AP's presentation, and here is what he said:

“I can only tell you how I personally do it, or how we do it at Weissach – for the first 500 kilometres or 300 miles, we don’t drive that car car ever over 5000 rpm, never. From then on, every 200 kilometres, we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1300, 1400 kilometres at the threshold before we can really go full throttle, at 800 or 900 miles”

He then went on that this procedure was really important for the GT3 RS engines given their more "delicate" rings - and how important this break in really is for any of their engines.

Another point - he recommended to realign the car after 1000-1500 miles due to settling - especially since the tires are getting bigger and bigger, and more sensitive to changes. The RS apparently is really sensitive around this.

You figure the head of the GT program would give you the straight goods.

Cheers,

Mike "

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9022...l#post12732648

Palting 08-31-2017 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by GrantG (Post 14448756)
There is no break-in requirement for your warranty. The break-in instructions in the manual come under the heading "Hints for best performance" or something like that (I remember the word Hints from my GT4 manual).

I have read several times on Rennlist (don't remember the thread(s)) that every one of the 991.2 GT3 motors is test run on a dyno to redline before delivery now.

All that being true, I still think it is advisable to observe AP's recommended procedure (or something slightly accelerated, ending around 1,300km as he says below):

KM_______MAX RPM
0-499_______ 5k
500_________5k5
700_________6k
900_________6k5
1100________7k
1300________7k5
1500________8k
1700________8k5
1900________9k

From Rennlist post:

“I can only tell you how I personally do it, or how we do it at Weissach – for the first 500 kilometres or 300 miles, we don’t drive that car car ever over 5000 rpm, never. From then on, every 200 kilometres, we up the rpms by 500, so we end up at 1300, 1400 kilometres at the threshold before we can really go full throttle, at 800 or 900 miles”

He then went on that this procedure was really important for the GT3 RS engines given their more "delicate" rings - and how important this break in really is for any of their engines.

Another point - he recommended to realign the car after 1000-1500 miles due to settling - especially since the tires are getting bigger and bigger, and more sensitive to changes. The RS apparently is really sensitive around this.

Cheers,

Mike "

Thanks, Grant. Helpful post, as always.

To the OP: As Grant said, it has less to do with warranty , more to do with warding off bad juju by making sure all the parts gel together for a better chance at longevity and reliability. Sounds like you'll put in enough break-in miles on your ED before you hit the 'Ring.

TONY AIR C2S 08-31-2017 10:34 PM

I believe they also recommend the engine being up to temperature before approaching the suggested RPM range.

GrantG 08-31-2017 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by TONY AIR C2S (Post 14448861)
I believe they also recommend the engine being up to temperature before approaching the suggested RPM range.

Yes, and better to refer to oil temp, rather than water temp (oil comes to temp slower).

NevB 08-31-2017 10:50 PM

KM_______MAX RPM
0-499_______ 5k
500_________5k5
700_________6k
900_________6k5
1100________7k
1300________7k5
1500________8k
1700________8k5
1900________9k

From Rennlist post:

Cheers,

Mike "

Nice writeup, thanks!

GrantG 08-31-2017 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by NevB (Post 14448903)
Nice writeup, thanks!

Sure. It's also important not to drive along on the highway at a constant rpm. Shift often and vary the revs within the allowable range as much as possible, without ever letting the revs drop too far (lugging).

SCCAForums 09-01-2017 01:09 AM

agree as well, oil temp is very important for any acceleration attempts.

I still find it to be somewhat ridiculous to believe you can't redline them right away... they're redlined on an engine dyno before going in the car.

It's more about not banging through the gears and drivetrain... there is no way I'll drive a car 500 miles (probably won't make it 5 miles) and not see at least 8K rpm let alone 9K.. but I will shift like a 'grandma' for the first 1,000 or more miles to make sure everything is meshing well, and always make sure the car is warmed up.

Best Regards,
Dave

Catorce 09-01-2017 01:18 AM

Have you seen them on the engine dyno? They are run at 8XXX Rpm for like 10 minutes straight. Every single drive thereafter will be easier than the engine dyno.

As an engine builder, I can tell you that besides seating rings (which happens in the first minute or less), there is nothing special that needs to happen in the beginning of a motor's life. If there is a requirement at all, it's only that you use common sense and not push a cold car.

This will probably evoke a religious response from the break in zealots, followed by a companion thread by the break in oil jihadists.

Lastly, it's laughable that the GT3 crowd cares about break ins considering the vast majority of the used GT3 for sale are from people with a .2 allocation and which have well under 10K miles on the clock.

Engeljizzle 09-01-2017 03:59 AM

KM_______MAX RPM
0-499_______ 5k
500_________5k5
700_________6k
900_________6k5
1100________7k
1300________7k5
1500________8k
1700________8k5
1900________9k

From Rennlist post:

Cheers,

Mike "

Thanks for posting! Great info.

Engeljizzle 09-01-2017 04:01 AM

Another item - What do you guys think of changing the oil before tracking it for the first time?Lets say at 1400km.

theplanner 09-01-2017 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Catorce (Post 14449155)
Have you seen them on the engine dyno? They are run at 8XXX Rpm for like 10 minutes straight. Every single drive thereafter will be easier than the engine dyno.

As an engine builder, I can tell you that besides seating rings (which happens in the first minute or less), there is nothing special that needs to happen in the beginning of a motor's life. If there is a requirement at all, it's only that you use common sense and not push a cold car.

This will probably evoke a religious response from the break in zealots, followed by a companion thread by the break in oil jihadists.

Lastly, it's laughable that the GT3 crowd cares about break ins considering the vast majority of the used GT3 for sale are from people with a .2 allocation and which have well under 10K miles on the clock.

Yep, I find it amusing some ppl actually follow the break in "rules" religiously. Exerrcise common sense, they r all mechanical parts. No different to u won't do a massive sprint without warming up ur body first...

Footsoldier 09-01-2017 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by SCCAForums (Post 14448685)
I'm Nov 6th ED, and same scheduled, SPA & the RING! Curious to know the answer... but I thought it was more like first 500miles... then we're ok to beat on it.

My personal opinion is it's still good to rev them to redline, but not 'shock the drivetrain' be sure to shift easier, etc... but still excercise (at times) all the RPM.

Curious to hear other's opinions as well.

Best Regards,
Dave

Agree with that - warm it up, then drive it. (Same for every trip)

I wouldn't take a brand new car straight on track (even though they do at the Porsche Experience Centres...), but the natural up and downs on road driving, including the occasional foray into the upper rev ranges are fine, IMO.
That's pretty much what the manual says IIRC - no constant high revs, not much else.