991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Lock Wheel Tool Suggestions Please

Old 08-21-2018, 12:31 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

Do you need a separate breaker bar or can the torque wrench do the job? Is the snap-on torque multiplier bar posted above do the entire trick? Thanks in advance for info.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25

i think it’s because the suspension is designed to take the load going up towards the body and not down and away from it.
LOL. Okay, here is what I do. Car is on my lift, tires off the ground. I put the CL tool and breaker bar at about 8-9 o'clock position, then I STAND on the end of the breaker bar. I weight 200 lbs, and I still have to give it a little bounce to loosen the CL. I am NOT, repeat, NOT pulling UP on that sucker.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:53 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,706 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
I weight 200 lbs, and I still have to give it a little bounce to loosen the CL. I am NOT, repeat, NOT pulling UP on that sucker.
Yeah, the car is under warranty. But your back is not

Old 08-21-2018, 01:13 PM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Which model 991 and which wheels? Would be interested if GT3 forged wheels (occasionally bent, but haven't seen a catastrophic failure posted).
I agree with Grant. In following the GT3 and the current wheel design, there are many who track hard. Some with Hoosiers. Have yet to see a failure like you explain except in a crash
Old 08-21-2018, 03:08 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
Do you need a separate breaker bar or can the torque wrench do the job? Is the snap-on torque multiplier bar posted above do the entire trick? Thanks in advance for info.
You should never use a torque wrench to loosen anything. They're precision tools meant for tightening to a specific spec.

The torque multiplier should make loosening easy, just as it does tightening. Obviously you'd use a much smaller ratchet or breaker bar with one. I have a separate breaker bar nearly as long as my torque wrench that I use.

The Precision Instruments torque wrenches break down to 3 pieces. They make breaker-bar attachments for them that replace the torque wrench section. I find it easier to have a separate tool than to have to swap the handle back and forth, especially as the procedure is to torque, loosen, then torque again.
Old 08-21-2018, 04:03 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2018, 04:18 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Very useful info! Subscribed!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:02 PM
audiophilitis
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
You should never use a torque wrench to loosen anything. They're precision tools meant for tightening to a specific spec.

The torque multiplier should make loosening easy, just as it does tightening. Obviously you'd use a much smaller ratchet or breaker bar with one. I have a separate breaker bar nearly as long as my torque wrench that I use.

The Precision Instruments torque wrenches break down to 3 pieces. They make breaker-bar attachments for them that replace the torque wrench section. I find it easier to have a separate tool than to have to swap the handle back and forth, especially as the procedure is to torque, loosen, then torque again.
agree with use of a separate breaker bar + torque wrench. Since I only have a 39” breaker bar, I insert a 24” galvanized pipe at the end of the bar for extra leverage
Old 03-03-2019, 01:29 AM
Alvin Lua
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JSF721
I need to invest in the correct tools so I can manage the center lock wheels.

Just got back from a 4 day, 1,270 mile road trip and the car was awesome! I'd like to do more trips like this but if I have a tire issue most shops can't help. I'd like to have what I need "on board" and as compact as possible. So I can help them, help me.

Can anyome provide links to required tools ?

Also anyome know what this is tool is in the video link below? A Part number or link to it would be great. Looks compact and able to apply the torque required in a small package.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GzpTU7lBxBA

Thanks in advance.
check out "hytorc porsche" in youtube
Old 03-03-2019, 09:15 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Alvin Lua
check out "hytorc porsche" in youtube
Hytorc looks like cool technology - but the price!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Center Lock Wheel Tool Suggestions Please