Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r-229/)
-   -   .1 GT3+25hp+more grip ~ .2 GT3? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-gt3rs-gt2rs-and-911r/1007535-1-gt3-25hp-more-grip-2-gt3.html)

longboarder 08-11-2017 08:41 PM

.1 GT3+25hp+more grip ~ .2 GT3?

Like some of you, I have a .1 GT3 built exactly how I want it. Wouldn't change a thing. Low miles, no dents, scratches, etc. 100% stock except XPEL clear bra and a GMG alignment. I currently have a deposit on a .2 at MSRP.

Why should I trade/sell my current .1 and buy a .2? Well the .2 is better of course. But how much better? It has 25 more hp and more mechanical grip from aero. Otherwise it's pretty similar. Oh it has the ugly white stripe on the carbon bucket seats. lol

So I was thinking today, one can add around 25 hp / tq from something as simple as a GMG center section (ok maybe it also needs headers?) and with a good alignment and Trofeo's add more grip than you get with the added aero from the .2 body changes. That could get the .1 to the performance level of the .2. It would cost me a few thousand bucks...but selling/trading the .1 for the .2 is more like a $30-$40k financial hit.

I'm sure there's more tweaks in the suspension and other little stuff that Porsche has updated but is it worth $30k more from where our .1's sit today, particularly when a few simple changes can get us most of the performance back?

Cheers.

SteveFrench 08-11-2017 08:45 PM

smart man.

Jimmy-D 08-11-2017 08:46 PM

^You have solved the puzzle. T

The upgrades a minimal but if you want a Manual or the latest and greatest then I get it

goin2drt 08-11-2017 08:49 PM

Interesting thought for sure. My first comment would be are there that many folks that own a .1 GT3 that can honestly drive it at its limits and need the extra aero or 25 HP.

If you have the option to get the .2 then I would be making the decision on many other factors, not those two.
  1. Do you have the .1 specced exactly like you want - yes you say.
  2. Do you have the disposible income where that delta doesn't matter?
  3. I think the delta is bigger as the .1 value will decline faster and further than the .2 however no one knows what that will be, so do you care about that?
  4. Do you have the means to buy the .2 without selling the .1? If so I would buy and own them both and see if you really like the .2 better.

Those would be some of the questions I would ask myself if I were in your shoes. I wasn't actually asking you as that is personal.

kfmcmahon 08-11-2017 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by longboarder (Post 14392974)
Like some of you, I have a .1 GT3 built exactly how I want it. Wouldn't change a thing. Low miles, no dents, scratches, etc. 100% stock except XPEL clear bra and a GMG alignment. I currently have a deposit on a .2 at MSRP.

Why should I trade/sell my current .1 and buy a .2? Well the .2 is better of course. But how much better? It has 25 more hp and more mechanical grip from aero. Otherwise it's pretty similar. Oh it has the ugly white stripe on the carbon bucket seats. lol

So I was thinking today, one can add around 25 hp / tq from something as simple as a GMG center section (ok maybe it also needs headers?) and with a good alignment and Trofeo's add more grip than you get with the added aero from the .2 body changes. That could get the .1 to the performance level of the .2. It would cost me a few thousand bucks...but selling/trading the .1 for the .2 is more like a $30-$40k financial hit.

I'm sure there's more tweaks in the suspension and other little stuff that Porsche has updated but is it worth $30k more from where our .1's sit today, particularly when a few simple changes can get us most of the performance back?

Cheers.

are you racing?f
there will always be someone/some car quicker...
more track time and coaching is the "standard" reply to your question
what happens when a stock GT4 passes you? It's not all HP.
plenty of 650 hp vettes being passed by lowly 475 hp GT3's (and 385 hp Gt4's)...
that being said, I think suspension, brakes, tires will more than make up for the $$$$ premium for the new car.....I would only get it if I wanted the manual transmission, which I do, but then I have the GT4 for that.
Plus 10 year powertrain warranty for FF defects

bronson7 08-11-2017 08:58 PM

I believe the delta to be closer to 50K. Best of luck in your decision.

robmypro 08-11-2017 09:20 PM

The .2 GT3 is better. It is a bit quicker, has a few tweaks, and has the manual. Considering the new warranty situation on the .1, I wouldn't upgrade unless the delta was < $10,000. And even then I am not sure it is worth it - unless you want the manual.

Headers will be my next upgrade. Then probably roll bar. Then wait for the 992 and see what the boys from Stuttgart have up their sleaves.

Jimmy-D 08-11-2017 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by robmypro (Post 14393069)
The .2 GT3 is better. It is a bit quicker, has a few tweaks, and has the manual. Considering the new warranty situation on the .1, I wouldn't upgrade unless the delta was < $10,000. And even then I am not sure it is worth it - unless you want the manual.

Headers will be my next upgrade. Then probably roll bar. Then wait for the 992 and see what the boys from Stuttgart have up their sleaves.

If you own a 991.1 GT3 and you do not want a Manual I would not trade for the .2.. I would drive the heck out of the car and try to wear down those parts and get an upgraded engine :)- Actually a great goal and you get to really enjoy trying to achieve it

robmypro 08-11-2017 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D (Post 14393085)
If you own a 991.1 GT3 and you do not want a Manual I would not trade for the .2.. I would drive the heck out of the car and try to wear down those parts and get an upgraded engine :)- Actually a great goal and you get to really enjoy trying to achieve it

Exactly Jimmy. Porsche is almost begging us to drive these cars. Also, assuming there is even the slightest wear on those finger followers, I think just about any catastrophic engine failure on this engine could be linked back to it. Of course, Porsche didn't say that. But you could point to worn finger follers as being the cause of god knows what.

When the warranty on the .2 runs out we will still have 2-3 years left on ours. No brainer. Just my opinion.

Mech33 08-11-2017 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by robmypro (Post 14393119)
Exactly Jimmy. Porsche is almost begging us to drive these cars. Also, assuming there is even the slightest wear on those finger followers, I think just about any catastrophic engine failure on this engine could be linked back to it. Of course, Porsche didn't say that. But you could point to worn finger follers as being the cause of god knows what.

When the warranty on the .2 runs out we will still have 2-3 years left on ours. No brainer. Just my opinion.

To be clear, you'll have 2-3 years left of warranty ONLY for the very specific failure mode of the lifter / cam wear issue. Something else in engine goes boom, then no coverage is my understanding.

Catorce 08-11-2017 10:32 PM

What's your point? I can make any older 911 faster than the current version with enough money. I actually do this all the time. The key is, do you HAVE to have the new one? if you are one of those guys, then get it.

robmypro 08-11-2017 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mech33 (Post 14393246)
To be clear, you'll have 2-3 years left of warranty ONLY for the very specific failure mode of the lifter / cam wear issue. Something else in engine goes boom, then no coverage is my understanding.

Correct. The warranty only covers this issue.

robmypro 08-11-2017 11:54 PM

By the way, i took the GT3 out tonight. Ran into a 993 Turbo. He jumped on it and it was extremely fast. A bullet. So all these cars dating back many years are crazy fast.

GT3 KSA 08-12-2017 12:28 AM

I put the dundon race headers on and bms air filters
Did a wrap and ppf on top
Dipped calipers and rims
Did some decals among other things

Bec of all the money spent on the above i will just keep the .1 although i do want a manual .2 but the delta here is around $50k and for me that is not worth the upgrade nor makes sense to get a .2 just for the transmission

When i get new tires i will probably put the cup 2s from the .2 i will try to go for a .2 RS when launched if i can afford it / get an allocation (i am number 11 or 12 at dealer so doubt i will) if that doesn't happen then keep the .1 until the 992 GT3 comes out and see what is possible at that moment in time

PS although the plan is set not to go for a .2 i still drool daily online :typing: over pictures of them :crying:

Hams955 08-12-2017 12:29 AM

I've put more miles on my .1 GT3 than any other car I've ever owned. I just love it. It is such a great car.

I am excited to see the .2 when it arrives but if I didn't have it I'd be perfectly fine in the .1 for a long time.

Great cars...