Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:50 PM
0Q991
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

To the COG--thanks so much for your hard work! I've been pretty inactive on RL in recent months, but having heard about this tremendous effort and incredible result, had to pop up and say thank you again for the work you did in behalf of all GT3 owners. Just amazing!
Old 08-07-2017, 09:48 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

We all appreciate the kind words, guys.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:02 PM
wwspeeds
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default much thanks

To everyone involved,

Much appreciation. Not only as an owner of a '15 GT3 but as a Porschephile and enthusiast, this is a terrific outcome. This definitely cements my respect and adoration for this company and their cars.

I have to admit, even though I never posted any hate messages like some, I was internally skeptical but absolutely hopeful. And inspired by your effort and collaboration.

So thank you for your many hours of hard work -- to both the COG and Porsche itself. I am now twice-over a lifelong Porsche customer.

Will
Old 08-07-2017, 10:14 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done and I'm glad that this issue has ending in a satisfactory manner for you.

From reading most of the posts it was about extending the warranty, which they have decided to do. So your meeting's outcome was what you wanted.

Question if I may, did the explanation that you received after being told about the warranty extension make any difference? From an observation point of view, they could have told you the cause was from sun spots. You had already received what you went there for, would you have cared?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 PM
GT3Quickshift
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Restores my faith in Porsche, thanks to all
Old 08-07-2017, 10:19 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

For current and future owners of the .1 cars, this is huge. Porsche is basically saying, don't worry about it. Just go drive. I wonder if there will be a drop off in the number of drivers peeling off the .1 and going to the .2.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:25 PM
bigskyGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Rob and COG. Did you give them an agenda prior to the meeting? It sounds like they knew what was coming. Do you think this was something that they were getting close to announcing on their own?
Old 08-07-2017, 10:27 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

We wanted answers. A warranty was not enough. The full engine swap vs. top end rebuild issue was another huge win for all owners. Additionally, it's clear that Porsche has solved the problem with the revised engineering and if a car exhibits the issue, the new engine will fix it. This technical improvement meant that Porsche is not just kicking the can down the road with a new warranty and no technical fix.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by m42racer
Well done and I'm glad that this issue has ending in a satisfactory manner for you.

From reading most of the posts it was about extending the warranty, which they have decided to do. So your meeting's outcome was what you wanted.

Question if I may, did the explanation that you received after being told about the warranty extension make any difference? From an observation point of view, they could have told you the cause was from sun spots. You had already received what you went there for, would you have cared?
I think two things mattered. The fact that Porsche stood behind the product with the warranty and engine replacement policy, and the test results that demonstrated the effectiveness of the new parts. One without the other is good but together the picture is complete, IMHO.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:35 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by m42racer

I can only speak for myself, not the other members and yes it made a difference. As a track driver, the warranty puts my mind at ease. As a mechanical engineer I wanted to understand root cause and ensure they knew it and fixed it. Dr Walliser explained the new testing method developed to reproduce the failure that they could not reproduce before. How that led them to understand the modes of failure and led them to fix it. I came away reaffirmed that Porsche is an excellent engineering company that I will continue to spend ridiculous amounts of money with. They aren't perfect but they care and don't give up. I was and continue to be impressed.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:42 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qbix
So no more Dundon pressure monitoring & grooved followers in-garage development crap?
Really??? Every village has an idiot!!!

Dundon were trying to help well before Porsche stepped up. Had Porsche not stepped up, Dundon may have been your only hope. Dundon addressed the mechanical one, as both a preventative one and the other as a final solution.

As I see it, there were two issues that needed to be addressed. The warranty issue and the mechanical one. Porsche addressed the warranty issue.

Playing devils advocate, if the fix was made as Porsche presented, why the need extend the warranty? Do they know what production batches of fingers are in what engines? If they did why no recall on these engines before a complete engine is required?

A total re call takes care of all engines. A warranty still pays the numbers game.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
We will await Porsche's official announcement on that. I believe it's for this issue.

The testing procedure is as follows - misfire code, open valve cover and inspect , FF shows wear, then new engine.
My appointment is on Aug 15th for my car. It has the misfire code so I'll see what happens when I take the car in. Is it bad to wish for the worst case of having "the issue" and getting the new engine? I'm actually hoping it's not a coil pack, who would have thought...

Still very ironic I got the misfire when you all were in the meeting. Thanks for what you guys did and the time you put in. It's a great result and awesome to know Porsche is backing their customers on this issue. I'll report back when I know what they are doing with my car.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Wow, what an outcome! Job well done to Rob and the COG, couldn't ask for anything more. Having Dr. W make the trip, AND provide a full explanation is exception. Not that I needed it but reaffirms the type of company Porsche is at its core.

I hope you boys take some time to savor this moment, drinks on me if we have the opportunity to meet in person. Cheers!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Well done team!
Old 08-07-2017, 11:07 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
We wanted answers. A warranty was not enough. The full engine swap vs. top end rebuild issue was another huge win for all owners. Additionally, it's clear that Porsche has solved the problem with the revised engineering and if a car exhibits the issue, the new engine will fix it. This technical improvement meant that Porsche is not just kicking the can down the road with a new warranty and no technical fix.
Sean, I was going to post something like this, but you said it better than I would have. To add to your comments, what Porsche provided was a COMPLETE SOLUTION.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement