Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 12:53 PM
poison123
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

So there's no way to refurb these engines at all, if you were out of warranty?
Old 10-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by poison123
It would be awesome if someone spent the time and money to research and implement a fix for this finger follower issue, that added oiling to the cam/finger interface, removed the hydraulic lifter from the system, tightly controlled the spacing (lash) between the finger and cam and allowed for more performance...

oh wait. It’s just waiting for us to install and in the car this fall...
Old 10-04-2018, 12:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by poison123
Not something people are really worrying about for probably another 6 years. Check back in 2024.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:14 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Not something people are really worrying about for probably another 6 years. Check back in 2024.
Something that you may not have considered?
Your car has a very short ($$) shelf life. Wait until 2024 and see how much its worth then as is.
I'm thinking at least 2-3 years before this date these cars are going to tank in value as who wants to pay for the repair.
Time to consider the upgrade would be now when the value of these cars is at its highest.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:57 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by m42racer
Your car has a very short ($$) shelf life. Wait until 2024 and see how much its worth then as is.
I'm thinking at least 2-3 years before this date these cars are going to tank in value as who wants to pay for the repair.
Time to consider the upgrade would be now when the value of these cars is at its highest.
Interesting viewpoint. I just don’t look at cars like that i guess. Let’s say i sell now for $120k (maybe) then upgrade to a very similar .2 for $200k. There goes $80k. That buys a lot of depreciation on my .1. Besides, i would never upgrade 991.1 to 991.2. Maybe when a 992.2 comes out i might reconsider. Car runs great, looks great and is exactly as i want it spec’d. For the $80k i would rather buy a ZL1 or GT350 tbh. Besides, i like the looks of the .1 a lot more.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:55 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Interesting viewpoint. I just don’t look at cars like that i guess. Let’s say i sell now for $120k (maybe) then upgrade to a very similar .2 for $200k. There goes $80k. That buys a lot of depreciation on my .1. Besides, i would never upgrade 991.1 to 991.2. Maybe when a 992.2 comes out i might reconsider. Car runs great, looks great and is exactly as i want it spec’d. For the $80k i would rather buy a ZL1 or GT350 tbh. Besides, i like the looks of the .1 a lot more.
You make a good point.

But do you think you will get anything for your car closer to the end date of the warranty. Not only will the value drop, so will the demand. If you could get 120K now, I wonder what these will sell for closer to their shelf life. There is no fix and will not be one from Porsche it seems. The only fix is the one that Dundon have currently.
I think cars with this upgrade will hold their value better, be the ones sort after as there will not be chance of the problem re occurring after the warranty expires. As these cars get older, the cost of the repair parts will increase. Its happening with all parts now. Huge jump in the cost of parts even parts not that old. VW is clawing back every penny they can to pay off their huge debt. The 991.1 parts will be no different.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:11 PM
robmypro
Race Director

You make a good point.

But do you think you will get anything for your car closer to the end date of the warranty. Not only will the value drop, so will the demand. If you could get 120K now, I wonder what these will sell for closer to their shelf life. There is no fix and will not be one from Porsche it seems. The only fix is the one that Dundon have currently.
I think cars with this upgrade will hold their value better, be the ones sort after as there will not be chance of the problem re occurring after the warranty expires. As these cars get older, the cost of the repair parts will increase. Its happening with all parts now. Huge jump in the cost of parts even parts not that old. VW is clawing back every penny they can to pay off their huge debt. The 991.1 parts will be no different.
I disagree about there not being a fix. We were shown data and the new parts, and i have no reason to doubt PAG. The fix works. In 6 years when are engine warranties are up i might think differently, but by then i will have 100,000 miles. $80k buys a lot of repairs too.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:16 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

If this issue hasn't arisen by then, most likely it will not occur, assuming the car was driven. At over 21K miles I have had the faults, but it's been coil packs and bad plugs. I'm being optimistic that I won't have the issue that it most likely would have come up by now. But if it hasn't come up by 2024 then any car that has been driven is probably good. Just my opinion, which probably isn't worth much, but I'm not going to worry about the depreciation, i'm going to enjoy the car.
Old 10-09-2018, 08:00 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

I disagree about there not being a fix. We were shown data and the new parts, and i have no reason to doubt PAG. The fix works. In 6 years when are engine warranties are up i might think differently, but by then i will have 100,000 miles. $80k buys a lot of repairs too.
No reason to disagree with you. But...….?
Did they show you a complete cylinder head or just the cams in the display fixture you showed? You have the advantage of being there. Were you shown a complete head assembled? Have you seen a fully assembled head?
I wonder why they went to all the time and cost to redesign the .2 engine if they felt the problem was solved in the 991.1 engine?
I heard they wanted to make the 991.2 more like a race engine. Is this correct?
The present financial situation that VW finds itself in, does it make sense that they would spend all that development money re designing something that already works, just to be more racy? Something that the owner never see's. Be different if they sold you a racing stripe and a number to stick on the door
I'm not so gullible when it comes believing what they want you to believe.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:05 AM
robmypro
Race Director

No reason to disagree with you. But...….?
Did they show you a complete cylinder head or just the cams in the display fixture you showed? You have the advantage of being there. Were you shown a complete head assembled? Have you seen a fully assembled head?
I wonder why they went to all the time and cost to redesign the .2 engine if they felt the problem was solved in the 991.1 engine?
I heard they wanted to make the 991.2 more like a race engine. Is this correct?
The present financial situation that VW finds itself in, does it make sense that they would spend all that development money re designing something that already works, just to be more racy? Something that the owner never see's. Be different if they sold you a racing stripe and a number to stick on the door
I'm not so gullible when it comes believing what they want you to believe.
The redesign of the .2 engine happened before we even contacted them. The .2 was just the next evolution of the engine. Then they went back and figured out the problem and fix for the .1. I have no idea why showing us a head would matter. The problem was one of metallurgy. Please go read this thread again. All this was covered.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:34 AM
Cay_PI
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

In the .2, the valvetrain design is just a bit simplified. They gave up the hydraulic lash adjustment to enhance the tolarances for parts spec / metallurgy. So maybe the sensitivity of the .1 heads are the reason why they dropped the lash adjusters but that doesn't mean, the problem in .1 engines is not fixed by the new (expensive ) parts. We will see, I'm relaxed and and enjoy the great engine.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:38 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Cay_PI
In the .2, the valvetrain design is just a bit simplified. They gave up the hydraulic lash adjustment to enhance the tolarances for parts spec / metallurgy. So maybe the sensitivity of the .1 heads are the reason why they dropped the lash adjusters but that doesn't mean, the problem in .1 engines is not fixed by the new (expensive ) parts. We will see, I'm relaxed and and enjoy the great engine.
Exactly. The .1 engine is excellent. If yours does develop the issue, you will get a new engine with the fixed solution. Absolutely no downside to this engine. And if you disregard the finger follower issue these engines have been bullet proof. So Porsche actually came up with a great design, undermined by poor metallurgy on the finger followers. And any risk from this finger follower issue is mitigated (and then some) by the longest engine warranty of all time.

Not sure why i would sell this car, take a $80k bath, only to get a car that is very similar. But i totally understand that others don’t feel the same way. Vote with your wallet.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Exactly. The .1 engine is excellent. If yours does develop the issue, you will get a new engine with the fixed solution. Absolutely no downside to this engine. And if you disregard the finger follower issue these engines have been bullet proof. So Porsche actually came up with a great design, undermined by poor metallurgy on the finger followers. And any risk from this finger follower issue is mitigated (and then some) by the longest engine warranty of all time.

Not sure why i would sell this car, take a $80k bath, only to get a car that is very similar. But i totally understand that others don’t feel the same way. Vote with your wallet.
Yep, remaining warranty on the .1 engine still extends longer than a new .2. And the .1 car looks better than the .2 also.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:44 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manifold
Yep, remaining warranty on the .1 engine still extends longer than a new .2. And the .1 car looks better than the .2 also.
Totally subjective, but you know I agree.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:04 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

So Porsche actually came up with a great design, undermined by poor metallurgy on the finger followers. And any risk from this finger follower issue is mitigated (and then some) by the longest engine warranty of all time.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement