Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 05:46 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the new engine updated so as not to be susceptible to the same failure?
Also, wondering if there is enough info out there being shared to know what percentage of engines are failing?
Old 04-27-2018, 08:13 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by vodavoda
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the new engine updated so as not to be susceptible to the same failure?
Also, wondering if there is enough info out there being shared to know what percentage of engines are failing?
The new motor has a different valve train including solid lifters rather than hydraulic. Time will tell if it is more reliable. Every solid lifter motor I've had needed periodic adjustment. The new GT3 motor does not need adjustment as I understand it. Regarding failures of the 991.1 GT3 motor there was a lengthy thread with several failures reported but there has not been much reported lately. That's just anecdotal.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:21 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,172 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Further update: "the rocker arm/lever and lobe were worn on #4 cylinder." The engine is being replaced. What warranty does the new engine have?

For you guys who aren't driving your cars, I suggest that you start doing so. If you hardly have any miles at the 10-year mark, you may have an engine which will eventually fail, after the warranty period ends.
Got the car back today with the new engine. I'm going to drive it a lot to do a break-in again (no need to debate, that's my preference). Up to 5K rpm, the engine seems pretty much the same as before. And I was reminded again how epic the car is. With the heart of the car having been replaced, is it still the same car as before?
Old 04-27-2018, 08:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Got the car back today with the new engine. I'm going to drive it a lot to do a break-in again (no need to debate, that's my preference). Up to 5K rpm, the engine seems pretty much the same as before. And I was reminded again how epic the car is. With the heart of the car having been replaced, is it still the same car as before?
New engine is a good thing. Put it this way, if Porsche called you up and said...”Hi Mr. Manifold. You have been such a loyal customer that we’d like to offer you a free, brand new engine for your GT3. It’s a $50,000 value.”

I don’t know about you, but I would be thinking...are you pulling my leg? Who is this?

Same car, new heart! Deal of the century. Let her rip!
Old 04-27-2018, 10:43 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro

New engine is a good thing. Put it this way, if Porsche called you up and said...”Hi Mr. Manifold. You have been such a loyal customer that we’d like to offer you a free, brand new engine for your GT3. It’s a $50,000 value.”

I don’t know about you, but I would be thinking...are you pulling my leg? Who is this?

Same car, new heart! Deal of the century. Let her rip!
No disagreement, I'm just sentimental sometimes. That old engine and I had thousands of miles of fun together. This question was posed in a study: "if you were given a beautiful cashmere sweater which had been worn by a serial killer, and is now thoroughly cleaned, would you wear it?" I'm the type of person who would say "absolutely not" without hesitation.

I'm thinking about getting the new RS, but am unwilling to part with the GT3, so I'm working on convincing my wife to sell the GT4 and take the GT3.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:13 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

No disagreement, I'm just sentimental sometimes. That old engine and I had thousands of miles of fun together. This question was posed in a study: "if you were given a beautiful cashmere sweater which had been worn by a serial killer, and is now thoroughly cleaned, would you wear it?" I'm the type of person who would say "absolutely not" without hesitation.

I'm thinking about getting the new RS, but am unwilling to part with the GT3, so I'm working on convincing my wife to sell the GT4 and take the GT3.
I wouldn’t wear it either! Get an RS. But woukd you miss not having a manual? The GT4 is pretty awesome.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:32 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro
I wouldn’t wear it either! Get an RS. But woukd you miss not having a manual? The GT4 is pretty awesome.
We still have the Cayman R and 997.1 C2S. Both are manual, with the hydraulic steering, shorter wheelbases, etc., so they do a good job of delivering a more old school experience. Agreed that the GT4 is great, we would miss it.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:17 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

We still have the Cayman R and 997.1 C2S. Both are manual, with the hydraulic steering, shorter wheelbases, etc., so they do a good job of delivering a more old school experience. Agreed that the GT4 is great, we would miss it.
Trade in the GT4 and the GT3 for the .2 GT3 in manual and the GT3 RS.2 win win
Old 04-28-2018, 06:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
Trade in the GT4 and the GT3 for the .2 GT3 in manual and the GT3 RS.2 win win
Is it even possible to still get the manual .2 GT3? My impression was no more allocations, but I haven't been following those threads.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:44 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Is it even possible to still get the manual .2 GT3? My impression was no more allocations, but I haven't been following those threads.
i think you still can but forget about allocation, i think there are several ordered by dealers who have yet to be sold for the first time
Old 04-28-2018, 07:11 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
i think you still can but forget about allocation, i think there are several ordered by dealers who have yet to be sold for the first time
Interesting, what happened to OMG Porsche isn't making enough, buy one at big markup, etc.?
Old 04-29-2018, 05:36 AM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

I really love the .2 and would get it in a manual (i would probably go GT3 touring) but i can't afford the delta at this moment in time

Also, like you, I am attached to my .1 i am currently refreshing the look and this way instead of buying a new car it should feel or at least look like a new car to me and hold me over for a while
Old 05-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Birel22
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '16 with nearly 12k on the clock is currently getting the diagnostic treatment.... I have a misfire on cylinder number 2 at high RPMs. It would not be a surprise if a new engine is in the cards. My question surrounds whether or not there are further improvements over my current '16 lump. More to come.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Bama GT4
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I purchased a CPO 2015 GT3 with 7200 miles on it in Feb. 2018. (Mfg. date 09/14) Two owner local Jacksonville FL car, perfect / documented maintenance history, no track time or autocross and in exceptional condition. My first DE with this car was in June 2018. I ran an uneventful Saturday with four sessions and got rained out after two sessions on Sunday. Getting used to the car so I took in easy in PCA run group 3.

Fast forward to the weekend of Sept. 8 & 9. Car now has 10K miles on it. Ran a good 20+ minute warm-up on the track and then ran my first 30 minute session. About 20 minutes in, running in PDK Sport, 3rd gear, high RPM's, the engine goes into limp mode. I get the car off the track. Shut it down, remove the key, start it up again and the error clears. Go out for the balance of my session. Two sessions later, two more limp modes, same gear (3rd-high RPM), same spot on the track, I decide to call it a day. Now the Engine Module Warning light (yellow, not red) is lite on the right gauge cluster. Message says OK to drive but get it to the dealer.

I take the car to Porsche Birmingham to diagnosis the engine faults. Comes back as cylinder 1 & cylinder 5 misfire at high RPM. Ran a few other tests and confirmed those two cylinders. Performed a compression test and leak down with 0% leak. Porsche Germany comes back and asks Porsche Birmingham to drop the motor and take some very specific pictures after the valve covers, cam shaft, and lifters were removed. Found excessive wear on camshaft lobes and lifters. Germany signed off on the defect. Next day, PCNA Warranty (Atlanta) gets involved and approves a replacement G series "engine assembly". The "engine assembly" is everything but the side & center mufflers. Turns out there were a few G "engine assembly" motors in New England. The engine arrived the next business day and was subsequently installed, the ECU re-flashed, and road tested within two business days. This whole process was handled exceptionally and very timely by everyone involved.

It was interesting to learn that the engine assembly comes with a blank serial number. Porsche Birmingham used a factory tool that puts my original "F" engine serial number on the replacement "G" motor so that the integrity of a numbers matching car remains intact. Warranty on the new "G" motor begins with my odometer reading of 10,097 miles and the original in-service date so I have a 6 yr. / 110K warranty remaining on the new motor.

I don't recall specifically what the oil pressure used to run at but it seems to be running higher now. Owner's Manual states a 2K break-in, Service Manager is saying that I should be OK at 1K miles, and the guys over at the PSDS are referencing 700-800 miles before I hit the track again. An oil/filter change is recommended. They just had some new 2018 Lizard Green GT3 RS's roll off the truck at Barber so I inquired as to the break-in before they let everyone go nuts with them at the PSDS.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:07 PM
Bama GT4
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A few more data points...

Replacement engine assembly: $34,003.72
Freight: $3756.20
Labor: $2322.88
Misc. parts and antifreeze: $147.37
Total cost if not under warranty: $40, 230.17

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement