Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 04:31 AM
redgt3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, new engine fitted and car back up and running.

Forgot to ask for the VIN stickers with the new Engine number;
they are sending them on.
Question - where on the engine itself is the engine number ?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:06 AM
Nan P
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Thank you to all who where involved in this process; it made my decision to purchase a 2015 GT3 very easy. I've emailed Porsche Canada to verify that my car is covered for 10yrs or 120,000 miles. In the meantime, I'm absolutely blown away how incredible the car is...I cannot wait until track season.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:17 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

I had my GT3 at the track today. On the second lap, while still warming up, the engine gave a reduced power code when I was in 2nd, nearing 9K and about to upshift. I came in, restarted the car, the engine seemed to be ok, so I went back out, and got the same message again. Plugging into the car gave a code indicating a cylinder misfire, which I guess could be a problem with spark plug or coils ... or something worse. I was able to drive the car home and will take it to the dealer for eval. If the outcome is a new engine, I'm very OK with that.

On the positive side, my wife had her GT4 there, and I rediscovered the pleasure of driving a manual mid-engine car on track.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:07 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I had my GT3 at the track today. On the second lap, while still warming up, the engine gave a reduced power code when I was in 2nd, nearing 9K and about to upshift. I came in, restarted the car, the engine seemed to be ok, so I went back out, and got the same message again. Plugging into the car gave a code indicating a cylinder misfire, which I guess could be a problem with spark plug or coils ... or something worse. I was able to drive the car home and will take it to the dealer for eval. If the outcome is a new engine, I'm very OK with that.

On the positive side, my wife had her GT4 there, and I rediscovered the pleasure of driving a manual mid-engine car on track.
Sounds like you may have won the new GT3 engine lottery.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:59 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robmypro

If so, the first engine made a noble effort. About 26K total miles, of which about 7K have been track miles. All very enjoyable miles, it's a beast of a car! If it gets a new engine, I may even blingify the car.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:25 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Once again Rob's and the COG's efforts may prove fruitful... and did I read correctly that your wife drives.... a GT4?! That. Is. Awesome!!!!
Old 04-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
... and did I read correctly that your wife drives.... a GT4?! That. Is. Awesome!!!!
Yep. She started out tagging along with me, and was initially a scared and below-average student. Now she's a PCA instructor and has done about a hundred track days. I rode with her yesterday, and felt that she was too aggressive out of the gate, so I asked her to slow down. She's half the reason we have too many cars and had to buy a house with a bigger garage.

Moral of the story: you guys can convert your wives to car/driving girls if you get them past the initial fears and disinterest. Start them with autocross to get them used to pushing a car in a safe environment.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:55 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Maybe, maybe not. Mine was a bad coil pack the first time and the next time it was bad plugs...no new engine for me. I was torn about whether or not to be happy it wasn't a new engine and something easy...

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:23 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mwar99
Maybe, maybe not. Mine was a bad coil pack the first time and the next time it was bad plugs...no new engine for me. I was torn about whether or not to be happy it wasn't a new engine and something easy...

Good luck!
Just to update on my car, I had a misfire on cylinder #4, which didn't go away after a plug and coil swap. Porsche has directed the dealer to remove and open the engine to inspect. Maybe I'm a step closer to a new engine, but the prospect of discarding an engine which has been my faithful companion for over 20K miles makes me a bit sad too.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:14 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Just to update on my car, I had a misfire on cylinder #4, which didn't go away after a plug and coil swap. Porsche has directed the dealer to remove and open the engine to inspect. Maybe I'm a step closer to a new engine, but the prospect of discarding an engine which has been my faithful companion for over 20K miles makes me a bit sad too.
Sounds like a new engine. Embrace it buddy.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:15 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Further update: "the rocker arm/lever and lobe were worn on #4 cylinder." The engine is being replaced. What warranty does the new engine have?

For you guys who aren't driving your cars, I suggest that you start doing so. If you hardly have any miles at the 10-year mark, you may have an engine which will eventually fail, after the warranty period ends.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:46 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Further update: "the rocker arm/lever and lobe were worn on #4 cylinder." The engine is being replaced. What warranty does the new engine have?

For you guys who aren't driving your cars, I suggest that you start doing so. If you hardly have any miles at the 10-year mark, you may have an engine which will eventually fail, after the warranty period ends.
New engine is good for the remainder of the 10 year or 120,000 mile warranty.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

New engine is good for the remainder of the 10 year or 120,000 mile warranty.
Of course, I'm happy and appreciative to get a new engine, but it seems odd that the warranty isn't X years after the replacement, or the remainder of the 10-year warranty, whichever is longer. What if a replacement engine is installed at 9.9 years and fails a few months later? Then you replaced a defective engine with another defective one, but the new defective one essentially has no warranty. I imagine that Porsche would step up in that situation, but it would be nice to have things clear and in writing, as was done with the 10/120 (due to the efforts of you and others!).
Old 04-26-2018, 09:51 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Of course, I'm happy and appreciative to get a new engine, but it seems odd that the warranty isn't X years after the replacement, or the remainder of the 10-year warranty, whichever is longer. What if a replacement engine is installed at 9.9 years and fails a few months later? Then you replaced a defective engine with another defective one, but the new defective one essentially has no warranty. I imagine that Porsche would step up in that situation, but it would be nice to have things clear and in writing, as was done with the 10/120 (due to the efforts of you and others!).
Is this any different from any other warranty repair that occurs near the end of a warranty? But I am sure there will be some limited warranty offered for the engine in that scenario.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:22 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Is this any different from any other warranty repair that occurs near the end of a warranty? But I am sure there will be some limited warranty offered for the engine in that scenario.
I don't recall experiencing that situation much, but my recollection is that repairs generally have their own warranty starting from when the repair was done. In this case, we're talking about replacement of an entire engine, so I think the new engine should have a warranty that begins when it was installed. Otherwise, the duration of the engine warranty is a function of when it was installed, shrinking to zero as the original warranty ends, which makes no sense.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement