Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Old 10-01-2017, 09:15 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by m42racer

Suggesting that the problem was due to inclusions is a stretch at best.

In reality, all castings have inclusions. They are using a new source in Germany for the fingers. These fingers are not cast but made by a process called MIM, metal injection molding. This process depending on the material you use, cavity and design, etc., can have an inclusion problem. Its not that the inclusion will break the piece, but you can have the DLC fracture over the hole, meaning the inclusion is really a small hole at the surface level and then the wear starts.
As far as a stretch, you will need to take that up with Dr Walliser.

You describe the exact failure mode he described. The inclusion close to the surface causes a crack in the DLC, that then chips and starts a wear point. So we will agree to agree.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:44 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing
As far as a stretch, you will need to take that up with Dr Walliser.

You describe the exact failure mode he described. The inclusion close to the surface causes a crack in the DLC, that then chips and starts a wear point. So we will agree to agree.
If you were to give an explanation as to why DLC or any other type of coating fails on a cast part, an inclusion close to the surface would be a typical cause and answer.

Its always possible that some fingers have inclusions near the surface. This should be expected on any cast part. However, this is not the cause of the Porsche finger problem.

The problem is caused by lack of oil. With no oil between the cam lobe and the finger, friction and heat is created. Oil is used to lower the friction and remove the heat. Failure to do so results in metal on metal contact. The cam lobe is "wiped" across the finger pad to open and close the valve. But when the valve is closed, an oil film is created between the finger and the camshaft base circle trapping oil. This oil then lubricates the lobe as its "wiped" across the finger. No oil, no lubrication.

This is what I have been told and shown.

The cylinder head has oiling nozzles located on the bottom rail and these squirt oil upwards towards the exhaust fingers. This oil cannot oil the Intake fingers as the exhaust valve train blocks its direction. The exhaust fingers cannot trap oil between the camshaft and fingers as the finger closes down this gap.

The fingers are hydraulically operated. Oil pressure pushes the finger hard into the camshaft eliminating any gap for oil to be used as an oil film lubricating and removing heat caused by this friction.

Early engines had no coating on the cam lobes, so the lobes wear and this creates even more friction. As the lobes wear the oil pressure continues to push the finger into the lobe. This was why the oil pressure was continually adjusted in recalls.

Coating both the lobes and fingers helps give the issue some added life, but these parts will still fail. Coating cannot make up for a lack of oil.

Porsche recognized this design fault and made the 991.2 engine "solid lash" where a lash cap is used to set a small distance between the camshaft base and the finger to always control the oil film.

You were told what can happen in a general sense but not what actually is happening inside your engine. Had they shown you a cylinder head it would have become obvious why this issue is happening.

A more in depth explanation along with photos will be posted showing the exact issue and cause.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:17 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Interesting discussion.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:10 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

It s a design fault that do not resist ppl using any kind of dirty fuel or wrong oil density or not warming/cooling the engine properly (like a 9krpms was a prius..)

combined with pag arrogance that instead admitting an issue
changing oil and filters intervals to even 5000 Km or less if track used

otherwise we dont explain why some hadn t the issue

apparently playstation era engine must be fools proof

Last edited by fxz; 10-08-2017 at 03:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 12:37 PM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

I am a non-engineer who attended the COG meeting. What ultimately gives me confidence in Porsche's solution is test results. Dr. Walliser shared images of a valve train with the new parts that had more than 2x the normal test hours under a more rigorous test regiment. The parts looked new. This, along with the warranty extension and the promise of a new engine if the issue occurs hit the mark for me. If it fails to meet the test of time I personally believe that Porsche will make good. We have about 8 years and 120k miles to find out.

With regard to the .2 GT3, I would fully expect Porsche to improve upon the design based on their experience with the .1. There is no alarming news here.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:41 PM
GT3Quickshift
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering, what happened to the PNA Sept. Letter on the extended warranty?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:48 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3Quickshift
Just wondering, what happened to the PNA Sept. Letter on the extended warranty?
It is coming. Taking a bit longer than expected.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Cormid
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lack of letter is certainly a bit worrisome
Old 10-13-2017, 05:20 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

In UAE when checking in dealer it shows in their system that the warranty for 10 years for this issue or x amount of miles comes first, so if it is in their system it should be in the system in the US
Old 11-01-2017, 01:23 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

Guys this is a followup from a fellow track mate from his failure at our last DE event. He experienced a CEL code while at the track and we confirmed from a reader it was a misfire on cel on CYL 4 and 5. The car was taken to the dealer on the next business day, please read the service order below. The car was diagnosed and a new engine was installed and the owner got his car back this week. The process took a little over 6 weeks but the owner is happy. Some things to note from his experience. Porsche is standing behind it's new warranty although it took a little longer than it should have. The engine installed had a "G" designation serial number on the work order. I spoke with the service manager today and he says the new warranty is in the system. The COG will continue to monitor all known problems related to this issue.

Old 11-01-2017, 08:38 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^This continues to reassure me that Porsche is standing behind these great cars. Well done Porsche.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:40 PM
GT3Quickshift
AutoX

Sure would like to see letter to individual owners, would help with potential buyers
Old 11-03-2017, 10:29 PM
JLG
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

who's selling? I am putting half cage and seats in my car now that I know the engine is covered...
Old 11-05-2017, 04:36 AM
Ark
Cruisin'

Default message to individual owner

I found this letter on the PFF website. It is a confirmation of the extended guaranty to an individual owner.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:46 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by JLG
who's selling? I am putting half cage and seats in my car now that I know the engine is covered...
+1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement