Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 02:19 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

A friend in UAE checked on the same with the local dealer. The dealer said no news on this. He shared with them the link of COG and within 24 hours the dealer told him they checked with Porsche Middle East and that my friend's info is correct.

I am assuming it is just a matter of time until all the dealers get word.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:42 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
A friend in UAE checked on the same with the local dealer. The dealer said no news on this. He shared with them the link of COG and within 24 hours the dealer told him they checked with Porsche Middle East and that my friend's info is correct.

I am assuming it is just a matter of time until all the dealers get word.
Yes. PCNA told me sometime in September at the earliest dealers will be notified. But the extended warranty is effective immediately.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:23 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by sgroer
We wanted answers. A warranty was not enough. The full engine swap vs. top end rebuild issue was another huge win for all owners. Additionally, it's clear that Porsche has solved the problem with the revised engineering and if a car exhibits the issue, the new engine will fix it. This technical improvement meant that Porsche is not just kicking the can down the road with a new warranty and no technical fix.
Do you know what the change to the new engines are that corrects the FF issue?
Old 09-01-2017, 09:34 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Correct, nothing but change, yes.

Changed the company that does the coating and included coating the cam lobes. That's it.

The issue has not being addressed. Porsche are continuing to play the numbers and have kicked the can down the road.

Porsche solved their problem of customer satisfaction and any class action without spending a dime.

The owners action group started here, gave Porsche the perfect out. The solution was handed to Porsche in their lap by this group and it cost Porsche zero.

Porsche haven't solved the mechanical problem, just deflected the problem with a giant smoke screen. It was said certain parts are different, when a simple check has shown that these certain parts are the same.

As a friend of mine pointed out, the only thing Porsche have done is to prove that global warming does exist, as it snowed in Atlanta in the summertime.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:13 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
Porsche changed the manufacturing process of the finger followers and retested the engine to make sure this problem was totally addressed. To make sure nobody has to worry about this issue, all 991.1 GT3 owners now are covered for 10 years or 120,000 miles specific to this issue. Porsche really stepped up. Period.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:30 AM
nicoff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nicely done by Porsche. As a former owner of a 996 that experienced the IMS failure (twice) I am glad to see how Porsche reacted this time around.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:09 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by m42racer

The owners action group started here, gave Porsche the perfect out. The solution was handed to Porsche in their lap by this group and it cost Porsche zero.

As a friend of mine pointed out, the only thing Porsche have done is to prove that global warming does exist, as it snowed in Atlanta in the summertime.
I guess that you can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people all of the time. Perhaps you might research how some other manufacturers handle these types problems, such as GM with their track ready Corvette. Is PAG perfect? Certainly not, but they stood by their product for reasons that are quite obvious. If those reasons mutually benefit the company and the customer, thats not blowing smoke - it is called a solution.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:26 AM
JLG
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default metallurgy

I thought random inclusions in the steel were part of the issue. So if they have improved their QC on these parts, that should make a difference, shouldn't it? Regardless, if my engine implodes at 60,000 miles due to this and I get a new one I will be very happy!
Old 09-06-2017, 12:04 PM
vodavoda
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Changed the company that does the coating and included coating the cam lobes. That's it.
The issue has not being addressed.
Is this accurate??? Had not heard this, read this, or otherwise.

Porsche haven't solved the mechanical problem, just deflected the problem with a giant smoke screen. It was said certain parts are different, when a simple check has shown that these certain parts are the same.
What "simple check" are you referring to?

Originally Posted by robmypro
Porsche changed the manufacturing process of the finger followers and retested the engine to make sure this problem was totally addressed.
This seems to be more factual and backed up with evidence. m42racer, are you saying that things aren't such? Do you have backing to support these claims? Not trying to be facetious, so don't take my questioning as such, but just want to make sure that everyone is getting accurate info.....

Maybe I'm just missing something, and if so, I apologize in advance.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:31 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

The issue has not being addressed. Porsche are continuing to play the numbers and have kicked the can down the road.

Porsche solved their problem of customer satisfaction and any class action without spending a dime.

If you read our report you would also see that they changed the hardness spec and hence as Rob put it "the process" for creating the cam followers. The greater hardening also reduces the possibility for inclusions, followed by better QC for any near surface inclusions. Did your friend compare hardness of old and new followers and find them the same? I suspect not, as this is NOT a simple inspection!
Old 09-26-2017, 02:52 PM
GT3Quickshift
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone received 10 yr. warranty letter yet?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:20 PM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3Quickshift
No.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:57 PM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

I have two buddies with CEL lights on with misfires on cylinder 4,5,6 which is a clear indication of the dreaded problem. We shall see right away how this goes, stay tuned.
The amended warranty will take some time as it passes legal for every country.
Old 09-30-2017, 11:34 AM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3Quickshift
Nope
Old 10-01-2017, 05:31 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDinSing
If you read our report you would also see that they changed the hardness spec and hence as Rob put it "the process" for creating the cam followers. The greater hardening also reduces the possibility for inclusions, followed by better QC for any near surface inclusions. Did your friend compare hardness of old and new followers and find them the same? I suspect not, as this is NOT a simple inspection!
In reply.

This problem has been studied at great depth and it is now at the stage where new parts are in the testing stage.

Actually the hardness was never the problem. Maybe they have changed the hardness on new Fingers but the biggest change was the new DLC vendor. That vendor was originally dismissed due to cost and a less expensive vendor chosen, one that did not understand the problem.

Porsche went back to the original vendor who strongly suggested that both the Cam lobes and the fingers be coated, as this company can show endless studies of the advantages.

Suggesting that the problem was due to inclusions is a stretch at best.

In reality, all castings have inclusions. They are using a new source in Germany for the fingers. These fingers are not cast but made by a process called MIM, metal injection molding. This process depending on the material you use, cavity and design, etc., can have an inclusion problem. Its not that the inclusion will break the piece, but you can have the DLC fracture over the hole, meaning the inclusion is really a small hole at the surface level and then the wear starts.

If you inspect the fingers that have failed, you can clearly see where the wear is concentrated. All fingers show the same wear patterns and location. To suggest that any inclusion happens to be concentrated in the same part of every finger area, is a pretty ballsy explanation.

Regardless of the production changes, the issue is a lack of an oil film. Keep the oil film there, friction and thus the heat, stay under control and the DLC lives. This is what the solid lash helps to guarantee, which is why Porsche have adopted this in the 991.2 engine. It has nothing to do with making the engine more racy.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement