Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 07:04 PM
1pvr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To Rob and the other representatives of the COG, as well any others involved, thank you for your time and effort. I think this is the proverbial grand slam, and the research and prep work obviously played a huge role in your success. Porsche stepped up with a resolution that exceeded my wildest expectations, and they did so without any coercion or discussion. Amazing. I'm sure a huge amount of world wide goodwill was generated with their decision amongst Porschephiles.

Porsche also rolled out the red carpet for you guys, and showed what an amazing company it is. Above board and incredibly generous.

Originally Posted by SmokinGTS
Porsche has engines built already with the fix. My buddy will get one this week.
I wonder what kind of stock they have, and what their long term numbers projection is for world wide replacements. Doubt they build to their projection, and likely this means that engine parts, molds, supplies/suppliers etc... will be available well beyond a decade for our cars.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:18 AM
DJM48
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

A superb outcome. Incredible work by the extended COG team who approached the problem in a determined, well researched and respectful manner.

Kudos to Porsche for their R and D into the issue, their transparency and most of all for their ongoing commitment to a product and their customers.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:10 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJM48
A superb outcome. Incredible work by the extended COG team who approached the problem in a determined, well researched and respectful manner.

Kudos to Porsche for their R and D into the issue, their transparency and most of all for their ongoing commitment to a product and their customers.
The COG guys did a great job, but do you believe the above in toto - how long has it taken for Porsche to acknowledge a design and manufacturing defect. The ACCC is all over VAG, other manufacturers and associated dealers right now, and for good reason.

I will not be going anywhere near a 991 GT3/RS .1 or .2 generation. Indeed I have moved on.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:20 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 93 Posts

A big thanks to Rob and the COG!!!
Old 08-12-2017, 06:21 PM
alpine-al
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
... I have moved on.
You've stated that you have "moved on" a few times over the past several weeks. But you're still here. Do they not have a forum at your new home?

Old 08-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Maxi_z
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Well done for everything

When should owners receive a notification about the warranty extension and will there be an official link where dealers or people can read the terms of that warranty extension?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by randr
The COG guys did a great job, but do you believe the above in toto - how long has it taken for Porsche to acknowledge a design and manufacturing defect. The ACCC is all over VAG, other manufacturers and associated dealers right now, and for good reason.

I will not be going anywhere near a 991 GT3/RS .1 or .2 generation. Indeed I have moved on.

Don't worry, there are plenty of guys to take your spot.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:09 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine-al
You've stated that you have "moved on" a few times over the past several weeks. But you're still here. Do they not have a forum at your new home?.
Thats because I have two other P cars. .

I'm glad Porsche have come to the table but I think some realism is required.

They are a business, they did what they had to do to remedy a long term and on-going problem.

The point I made in reference to the ACCC (Australian Consumer Commission) is right on topic as they are investigating car manufacturers because - "car manufacturers’ complaints handling systems and policies are preventing consumers from obtaining the remedies to which they are entitled under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL)" sound familiar?

This is not to take anything away from the COG guys - who indeed got the issue resolved more quickly than otherwise might be expected.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

Without the COG, I do have some doubt that Porsche would have offered this extended warranty.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:20 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
Without the COG, I do have some doubt that Porsche would have offered this extended warranty.
Considering that we only asked for a meeting to discuss our concerns, and Porsche had ample opportunity to do a lot less than what they did, I guess I choose to believe they did what they did because they are better than most companies. We went into this believing they are better than most companies. They proved us right.

I prefer to just leave it at that.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:23 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Considering that we only asked for a meeting to discuss our concerns, and Porsche had ample opportunity to do a lot less than what they did, I guess I choose to believe they did what they did because they are better than most companies. We went into this believing they are better than most companies. They proved us right.

Totally agree. Take a step back from the "heat of the moment", I struggle to find a better solution. Hell my wish list didn't come close to the COG driven outcome.
Thank you again Rob fellow crew and PAG.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:16 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 200 Posts

You are correct IMHO Rob. I'd also like to say what a fantastic job you and all the other COG members did for 991.1 GT3 owners worldwide.

I've been on 'car forums' for more years than I care to think about, and what you guys did taking the initiative about a specific issue and then Porsche stepping up and taking ownership of the problem, is probably the greatest example of such I've ever seen online. Well done!

Bish
Old 08-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Just in time
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I have to think that Porsche learned a lot from their IMS class action settlement. Second VW probably wants no more bad press after dieselgate. Third I would bet that Porsche will only foot a portion of what the final cost comes out to be. I would surmise that if the specs were right that the manufacturer of the finger follower faulty part is probably on the hook for a good amount here.

Maybe Porsche would have not formalized the 10/120 warranty but I have to think they would have protected us regardless of of the COG. Yes, we owe Rob et al big time that now we will have a formal expression of warranty, not just goodwill.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:05 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

I think Porsche would have taken care of owners after the original warranty expired, but it was the pressure of the COG which caused them to step up and offer this extended warranty now.

From a business standpoint, it was their best option because the cost for them isn't too high and it helps the reputation of the brand. Conversely, if they hadn't offered this extended warranty after getting the letter from the COG, it would have hurt their reputation.

I'm not wanting to be cynical here - I do think Porsche is better than most companies (which is why all but one of my current cars are Porsches). But I think the COG was pivotal in this outcome, and again, I thank you guys for that.
Old 08-16-2017, 10:44 AM
gmike911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate your efforts! My GT3 is a 2015, and my engine was replaced by Porsche in February, 2017 at no expense to me. I use mine as a daily driver and track car, and the engine let go on the back straight at Sebring. It had 25,000 miles on it at the time and it "ate a valve" which caused a good deal of secondary damage. I never got definitive information on what the exact failure was, so I don't know if it was the finger follower issue or not. If not, It would appear from the statement that if it occurred after expiration of the original factory warranty, it would not be covered. With all of that, it's still the best car I've ever owned!

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement