Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:18 AM
BlueGT3
Racer

Received 133 Likes on 53 Posts

This is fantastic news. Thank you all for your hard work and professionalism in handling this manner on our behalf. I could not be happier with this outcome. Bravo!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Zulu Alpha
I wanted to be clear on some of the wording in case I miss understood it...

What I think is meant:
Porsche will replace the engine (with the new developed cams) WITHIN 120,000miles/10 years whichever comes first as long as it is related to the cam finger follower issue? Is this correct?

And not:
Porsche will provide a warranty for the engine for 120,000miles/10 years whichever comes first as long as it is relating to this issue. (PLUS) In addition Porsche will replace the engine (with the new developed cams) pertaining to this issue life long?

I'd appreciate the clarity in the wording. Thanks
Let me try to summarize it. If, within 10 years or 120,000 miles from in-service date, you experience this particular engine failure, Porsche will replace your engine with a brand new engine, containing revised parts. So your first interpretation is correct.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:18 AM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Let me try to summarize it. If, within 10 years or 120,000 miles from in-service date, you experience this particular engine failure, Porsche will replace your engine with a brand new engine, containing revised parts. So your first interpretation is correct.
Thanks for the clarification Rob
Old 08-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,782 Likes on 2,190 Posts

We may need clarification on what "the issue" is which has the extended warranty coverage.

As a non-expert, seems to me that the metallurgy defects being described could eventually manifest in damage to a range of engine components, resulting in more than one possible failure mode, and there could be significant damage before the CEL comes on.

I assume that, for the engines which fail despite proper maintenance (and evidently no over-revs), Porsche isn't going to undertake a forensic analysis of each engine in order to try to make a case that the failure wasn't related to "this issue," and that the default assumption would be that the failure is related to this issue unless there's strong evidence to the contrary.

A related point is that it wouldn't be reasonable to expect owners to do engine rebuilds during the 10/120 warranty period, since such 'tampering' with the engine could provide grounds for Porsche to deny warranty coverage. The only engine work Porsche can reasonably expect owners to do during the warranty period is normal maintenance such as oil changes, spark plug replacement, etc.

What impression do you guys have on Porsche's position on this?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:30 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manifold
We may need clarification on what "the issue" is which has the extended warranty coverage.

As a non-expert, seems to me that the metallurgy defects being described could eventually manifest in damage to a range of engine components, resulting in more than one possible failure mode, and there could be significant damage before the CEL comes on.

I assume that, for the engines which fail despite proper maintenance (and evidently no over-revs), Porsche isn't going to undertake a forensic analysis of each engine in order to try to make a case that the failure wasn't related to "this issue," and that the default assumption would be that the failure is related to this issue unless there's strong evidence to the contrary.

A related point is that it wouldn't be reasonable to expect owners to do engine rebuilds during the 10/120 warranty period, since such 'tampering' with the engine could provide grounds for Porsche to deny warranty coverage. The only engine work Porsche can reasonably expect owners to do during the warranty period is normal maintenance such as oil changes, spark plug replacement, etc.

This is just my opinion, but I think any sign of finger follower wear would be sufficient. If the engine previously had a top end rebuild for this issue, and failure occurs, no doubt in my mind Porsche would step up. Basically, I don't think they would be looking for an excuse to deny coverage. Again, just my opinion.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:47 PM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold

Dr Walliser stated if a customer came in with a CEL that would not clear the shop would pull the valve covers and if they see worn followers, they will replace the engine, no questions. Although he did not state it, having gone through the process with my car, I can say looking for bad plugs and coil packs is the first and simplest remedy. If that doesn't clear the CEL then they take off the valve covers.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:07 PM
pimpinon
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Just for fun. Available in California.
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2017, 05:53 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Just spoke with Road & Track. They might do a separate story on this. We'll see.
Old 08-09-2017, 05:59 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Has PCNA/PAG issued a press release yet?
Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Road and Track article updated.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...ranty/?ref=yfp
Old 08-09-2017, 06:25 PM
GT3 KSA
Three Wheelin'

Received 173 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Nice job Mr. Carr
Old 08-09-2017, 06:29 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by GT3 KSA
Nice job Mr. Carr
Thanks! I made sure to mention that the RS and R were not affected, and give credit to Porsche.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:49 PM
CYKBC
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry, late to party.

So if I have a 2014, original factory warranty in-service for 4 years since new, then that means I only really have 6 years left covering me for this finger follower issue, correct? Time is the limiting factor here for me.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:52 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Sorry, late to party.

So if I have a 2014, original factory warranty in-service for 4 years since new, then that means I only really have 6 years left covering me for this finger follower issue, correct? Time is the limiting factor here for me.

Thanks.
Yes, correct. You get 6 more years in the US.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:53 PM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by CYKBC
Sorry, late to party.

Thanks.

Yes. "Only" 6 more years

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement