Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:26 AM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Big time props and respect to the COG guys! What u accomplished is huge.

I only wish Porsche had taken a more proactive approach and reached out with their solution months ago without being prompted to do so........
Old 08-08-2017, 10:29 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
yes. They absolutely helped. On conference calls to help the COG get a better feel for the technical aspects. We were far more educated walking in the room thanks to them.
I added Jamie and Dundon to the Acknowledgement section. That was an unfortunate oversight on my part.
The following users liked this post:
CSTROH (04-22-2020)
Old 08-08-2017, 10:31 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

A BIG Thank you for Everyone on the COG team. What an amazing job you All did for the PORSCHE consumers/owners. Hats off to All of You.

To the PORSCHE Engineering support staff, outstanding research and results. Kudos to All of You.

PORSCHE made for the track and street usable. An amazing product indeed.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 08-08-2017, 10:54 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Wasn't bashing them in identifying some fault. But the means to build test rigs and truly identify the issue is what takes millions and millions and multiple engineers. Not slamming their help in identifying some causation just the solution seemed (past tense) short sighted due to the lack of truly understanding the factory piece and/or the finances to truly go down all paths of failure.
Unfortunately their millions and millions and multiple engineers missed the problem in the first place which to me still sounds like they over-stressed the follower on the cam to avoid valve float. Then they tried the DLC which still failed under the inclusion? I wonder how much of this fix is due to better casting of the cam and follower which I assume they have implemented? I wonder if they new about the inclusion issue before or after they decided to re-engineer the top end?

Poor inclusions taking the blame. Who ever heard of such a thing in metal alloys?

On a positive note, I'm glad Porsche is officially extending the warranty for this issue. I suspect they had decided to do this without an announcement as a "good-will" exercise. I also appreciate their desire to push limits in design and maybe break a few eggs in the process. This says more to me than anything else. It would have been much easier to drop to 8500rpm and/or turbo it.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 AM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sgroer
how anyone could bash them after their efforts to understand and fix the issue AND their help to the COG is beyond me.
Bingo
Old 08-08-2017, 11:12 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by KINGSRULE
Big time props and respect to the COG guys! What u accomplished is huge.

I only wish Porsche had taken a more proactive approach and reached out with their solution months ago without being prompted to do so........

We all tend to think that Porsche have nothing better to do but read RL and figure out what concerns us owners, but they are a big company with lots going on. But it was clear that they had been putting considerable resources into this issue dating back to 2015, if I remember correctly.

So they were definitely on it. And most importantly, they put their customers first and came up with a great solution.

Porsche deserves all the credit.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:18 AM
C2Spin
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Thank you, thank you, thank you. To Rob and all that took this on and put in considerable effort for all GT3 owners. A great presentation and professional representation of GT owners. Porsche responded in kind and I am thankful for the outcome.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:19 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro

We all tend to think that Porsche have nothing better to do but read RL and figure out what concerns us owners, but they are a big company with lots going on. But it was clear that they had been putting considerable resources into this issue dating back to 2015, if I remember correctly.

So they were definitely on it. And most importantly, they put their customers first and came up with a great solution.

Porsche deserves all the credit.
Regardless, you Sir, deserve the lions share, IMO.
Your initiative and selfless motivation was the catalyst for this movement.
-Karma is your friend,
Old 08-08-2017, 11:19 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

what a story! what a happy end!

This should lead to some good PR - which have to follow after all the negativ PR...

thank you all!! (doesn´t matter if i don´t own a 991 GT3)

Dr. Walliser seems to be more than a top tier manager looking on numbers sitting on his chair
Old 08-08-2017, 11:40 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Regardless, you Sir, deserve the lions share, IMO.
Your initiative and selfless motivation was the catalyst for this movement.
-Karma is your friend,
Thanks for the kind words, but I have to respectfully disagree.

Macca deserves a huge amount of the credit. I had no idea what a finger follower even was until I started following his thread. Jamie then took it to the next level, giving all of us insight into what was really going on. Once the ball started rolling, Dave, Sean, Carmen and Ed played a huge role in helping hone the ultimate approach. And last, but definitely not least, the guys from Porsche stepped up and made this great outcome possible.

I played a role, but this was a community effort dating back well over a year. We each made an impact, and then passed the baton to the next guy. I just happened to get it last, and be fortunate to have a lot of help crossing the finish line.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, but I have to respectfully disagree.

Macca deserves a huge amount of the credit. I had no idea what a finger follower even was until I started following his thread. Jamie then took it to the next level, giving all of us insight into what was really going on. Once the ball started rolling, Dave, Sean, Carmen and Ed played a huge role in helping hone the ultimate approach. And last, but definitely not least, the guys from Porsche stepped up and made this great outcome possible.

I played a role, but this was a community effort dating back well over a year. We each made an impact, and then passed the baton to the next guy. I just happened to get it last, and be fortunate to have a lot of help crossing the finish line.
Ah yes, Macca! He was the "pioneer".. and took some considerable slack in his thread.
You're all good people and deserve a happy outcome.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Footsoldier
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've not got any skin in this game, but well done. A great result for your efforts and kudos to Porsche as well.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:04 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Respect, nicely done
Attached Images  
Old 08-08-2017, 12:24 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I have no skin in this game anymore but my interactions with Jamie and Dundon have been professional and helpful. I was at his Smokies presentation and found it educational. I truly believe they have the Porsche community's welfare at heart. I will not hesitate to work with them in the future
Old 08-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 59 Posts

I got the impression that Porsche had been working on this issue before we came along. But since we had contacted them, maybe they felt the time was right to put this issue to bed.

Timing is everything.
I would like to believe that Porsche would have made this announcement even if the RL group wasn't formed. Am I being naive?

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement