Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM
Jpacione
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

COG organizers - thank you so much for your initiative in meeting with PCNA and getting facts. For the RS owners, any additional details you can remember around why this should not be an issue? Sounds like the inclusions may be in our followers, but due to lower stresses we are unlikely to see anything manifest. Is that a correct interpretation? Interesting to read that this was a low rpm issue. Thanks again for your efforts, and for your patience with all of the questions from the group at large!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:10 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,013 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpacione
COG organizers - thank you so much for your initiative in meeting with PCNA and getting facts. For the RS owners, any additional details you can remember around why this should not be an issue? Sounds like the inclusions may be in our followers, but due to lower stresses we are unlikely to see anything manifest. Is that a correct interpretation? Interesting to read that this was a low rpm issue. Thanks again for your efforts, and for your patience with all of the questions from the group at large!
yes. Lighter valve springs, less friction. Thats it. As an RS owner in the room, I left feeling that the RS is rock solid!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:15 AM
Jpacione
Pro

Originally Posted by sgroer
yes. Lighter valve springs, less friction. Thats it. As an RS owner in the room, I left feeling that the RS is rock solid!
Thanks for clarifying. I feel better now as well!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:17 AM
MileHigh911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's not forget that Porsche missed the probability that metal inclusions (which occur in all castings) would lead to a rapid breakdown of the finger follower with "this" valve design. The DLC coating seemingly wasn't enough when simply placed on the original castings. No one knows if they have inclusions close enough to the surface to eventually have the issue. Porsche has made some assumptions as well to come to their conclusion of the causation. And this to boot with the con-rod issue! It all leads one to believe that they tried a different engine valvetrain design, and it didn't even last the current design run of the chassis/car. Even when they "assume" they know why, they still changed it immediately. And I own one of these cars. Maybe it will become a "unicorn" in 100 years, like when coin collectors look for the mistake coins.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:18 AM
Lodi
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Exactly how I feel. While I don't doubt Dundon provided some benefit to the community by their investigation, to trust your 200k car with a small company and assume they knew more than the mothership is so blatantly stupid I always wondered how the lemmings believed in this company. It also truly calls into question the cognitive ability of those so "gung ho" on a solution like this. Imagine if today you had done this great "fix" and some other issue happened with the motor which Porsche would've covered, and you had altered the factory spec with a rebuild from a 3 person company with 350k in revenue. Sh-t out of luck!! Use your brains people. LOL!!
Wow, pretty harsh! Dundon simply presented their findings on this issue and shared progress on their proposed solution, which is in no way the wrong approach. After all, Porsche went with solid lifters on the .2, right? They also made no inferences about what Porsche would or wouldn't do to resolve the issue and support GT3 owners. . In fact, when I asked Jamie about my brand new RS at the Smokies he said go drive and enjoy it and worry about the issue if something happens. Guess I'm just another lemming. Many thanks to Dundon getting ahead of this issue and freely sharing their findings.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:21 AM
17bhub
Rennlist Member

Location: Where I get the fresh scent of spent Jet Fuel & see Cold Smoke!
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Strong work guys (and Porsche)!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:21 AM
Jpacione
Pro

Originally Posted by Lodi
Wow, pretty harsh! Dundon simply presented their findings on this issue and shared progress on their proposed solution, which is in no way the wrong approach. After all, Porsche went with solid lifters on the .2, right? They also made no inferences about what Porsche would or wouldn't do to resolve the issue and support GT3 owners. . In fact, when I asked Jamie about my brand new RS at the Smokies he said go drive and enjoy it and worry about the issue if something happens. Guess I'm just another lemming. Many thanks to Dundon getting ahead of this issue and freely sharing their findings.
As an owner, more options is better. It's good to know there is support for our cars.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:23 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Did Dundon help/assist/contribute to the COG group?

If not this thread should be dedicated to the COG members and those that contributed to the cause.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:36 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Did Dundon help/assist/contribute to the COG group?

If not this thread should be dedicated to the COG members and those that contributed to the cause.

yes. They absolutely helped. On conference calls to help the COG get a better feel for the technical aspects. We were far more educated walking in the room thanks to them.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:42 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

yes. They absolutely helped. On conference calls to help the COG get a better feel for the technical aspects. We were far more educated walking in the room thanks to them.
Ah excellent!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 AM
sgroer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Ah excellent!
how anyone could bash them after their efforts to understand and fix the issue AND their help to the COG is beyond me.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:50 AM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Received 610 Likes on 295 Posts

Wasn't bashing them in identifying some fault. But the means to build test rigs and truly identify the issue is what takes millions and millions and multiple engineers. Not slamming their help in identifying some causation just the solution seemed (past tense) short sighted due to the lack of truly understanding the factory piece and/or the finances to truly go down all paths of failure.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:52 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Regarding the RS and R, the revised testing that ultimately reproduced the issue on the .1 GT3 was run on RS and R engines, and they passed with flying colors. We didn't ask, but I assume the .2 GT3 was tested as well.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:53 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

how anyone could bash them after their efforts to understand and fix the issue AND their help to the COG is beyond me.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:58 AM
CDinSing
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by robmypro
Regarding the RS and R, the revised testing that ultimately reproduced the issue on the .1 GT3 was run on RS and R engines, and they passed with flying colors. We didn't ask, but I assume the .2 GT3 was tested as well.
A new test that reproduces a failure is normally introduced into production as the new standard test. I think that is a safe assumption. The .2 also has the new hardness spec followers, so I would expect it to pass.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GT3 COG: Our Meeting with PCNA/PAG plus Porsche's Official Announcement