Huracan Super Trofeo Vs 991.2 cup car

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 01:50 PM
Martini991RS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Huracan Super Trofeo Vs 991.2 cup car

Hi Guys,

I'm considering finally moving up from my RS to one of the two cars mentioned above for my track toy/weekend car. I know this is a Porsche forum but would love if I can get neutral feedback. I'm favoring the huracan cause it's about the same price used as the cup car and it has adjustable traction control and abs, on top of that the depreciation seems larger on the huracan so it seems like a good deal.

I am specifically curious about running costs and driving feel. Hard for me to test drive before buying. Not looking to join any races just want something to thrash other than the rs.

Apologies in advanced if it is in the wrong forum but I am coming from a 991 rs

Thanks in advanced for the feedback!
Old 08-07-2017, 03:05 PM
Zulu Alpha
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BBMGT3 a member in this forum has experience running seasons in both Super Trofeo and Carrera Cup Challenge ME, so he would provide some good insight if you are interested to PM him.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 94 Posts

The next "step" up is to any of the GT4 based race cars. Those are going to offer lower running costs, still offer limited depreciation, and be gentleman driver friendly...i.e. ABS, TC, etc. The Trofeo and Cups are a step above the GT4 cars.

BMW, Ford, McClaren, Porsche, MB, and Audi all offer excellent cars.

If you are thinking about a Huracan Super trofeo, then you really need to be looking at the Audi R8 GT4. That car already provides unmatched reliability and low running costs in GT3 trim, so their GT4 will follow suit.

You can buy any of these brand new GT4 cars for less than a new Cup or a used Trofeo. Down the road, as more of these GT4 cars hit the second-hand market for us amateurs, I'd love to pick one up for the same thing. Just my .02
Old 08-07-2017, 05:27 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Having run the GT4 CS, the 991.2 Cup and spending weekends with the Lambo race series...

GT4 is best for track days.
GT3 will hold value but is hard to master without coaching
Lambo will crash and be super expensive

You can retrofit ABS to the cup car no problem. Multiple different options for tires.

GT4 is really not intimidating. You will spin it in 2nd gear and slide around at 35-40mph.

Lambo is too damn fast and lots of guys cannot handle it. A crash will be a really big one.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:19 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Having run the GT4 CS, the 991.2 Cup and spending weekends with the Lambo race series...

You can retrofit ABS to the cup car no problem. Multiple different options for tires.

GT4 is really not intimidating. You will spin it in 2nd gear and slide around at 35-40mph.

Lambo is too damn fast and lots of guys cannot handle it. A crash will be a really big one.
Questions for you:

The Lambo is a rocket in a straight line with the full road car HP, even though most teams crank that rear wing to about 45 degrees (or looks about like that), even at Road America.

Why would Lambo design a race car for Gentleman drivers that would haul the mail in a straight line but still be slower than a GT3 spec car around a circuit? Does not seem forgiving.

A Dream Racing Super Trofeo was at Mid Ohio the weekend before last racing against GT3-spec cars in PWC. It was slower than the bulk of the field, obviously. It appeared visually identical to a car campaigned at Road America this most recent weekend; not certain it was the same car, however.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

If I was going to step up from my RS it would be to a GT4 CS. The guys I know who have them absolutely love them. I'm not worthy or ready, but it sure looks fun.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:05 PM
Martini991RS
Advanced

Thank you for the replies so far. The main reason I was not considering the GT4s was because based on my estimation the 991 RS is quicker even without slicks, GT4 would seem like a step down to me no?

I will try to message BBMGT.

I would have thought the lambo with the traction control and abs would be easier to drive than the cup car? Was there a problem with the cornering balance of the lambo? The super trofeo is said to be similar times to a fia-gt3 racer on places with long straights that's pretty sexy to me for the money they are asking for. Can't comment on the gearbox but I thought engine wouldn't be so expensive to maintain given the production numbers on the road going hura and r8.

Thanks for the constructive replies so far!
Old 08-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Boxers12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever Consider a Wolf either two or single seat.Last year I purchased a wolf single seat and it is by far the most fun car on the track ever. Run circles around most anything. Very inexpensive to run since so light weight and is Honda motor so 100 Hr rebuilt is cheap.
Runs on pump gas an you can fine tune the car easy.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

how much track time do you have?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Martini991RS
Advanced

I was thinking about a closed roof radical for a bit but then when I thought of the depreciation I said might as well keep running the RS. I am sure the wolf or a radical or a formula car or a motogp bike will be faster and cheaper and yes value is important to me but I prefer a closer roof "GT" category. Faster is important because I don't want to be slower than an rs. Right now cause of work I am around 5-10 hours a month I really would like to be around 15-20 hours a month ideally.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Boxers12
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cannot compare a radical to a wolf. Wolf is 10 times the quality, design and safety in my opinion. I have had about 40 hrs in Wolf at COTA and can run between 2:15 and 2:18 in traffic without pushing the car anywhere near its limits. Car will run sub 2:08s at COTA if you want to and I am sure a great driver can get near 2:00 Thats with a 280 HP Motor. Weighs 1200 lbs with 2500lbs of downforce. I paid $155,000 for car with 25 hrs on it. Love it.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:21 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The reason the lambos are hard to drive:

Terrible visibility
Super hot cabin
Too fast to process, so you lift early
Cannot trail brake- massive understeer results
30 lbs of gold chain ballast, missed shifts from bedazzled gloves
Old 08-07-2017, 11:28 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you want to LEARN- get a SAFE car that is built to do endurance races. Take care of it.

If you want a toy...then get whatever you can afford in a funky color.

If you really want to share the track- you need a lot more safety nets (ABS) unless you are a very skilled driver with tons of track experience.

I'm in love with the Mono but until you're ready to break at the 50 board (vs 300 in a GT3RS) you are not ready to get the max out of one.

The radicals are good on club tracks with other radicals but if you get hit by a mustang you're toast.

Real Gt3/ GTD cars like the GT3R, McLaren, Ferrari, AMG, Audi are directly limited to the skill of the driver. Something like the ACR is WAY easier to hop in and be comfortable. The lambo is the same and 80% of the guys in that series are 5+ seconds off the pace. So someone can finish in the top 10 and basically get lapped.

For reference I am slower than the fastest guy- at COTA I was 1.5 seconds off pole and was in 16th place to start. So the field is much tighter.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:19 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

If you want to LEARN- get a SAFE car that is built to do endurance races. Take care of it.

If you want a toy...then get whatever you can afford in a funky color.

If you really want to share the track- you need a lot more safety nets (ABS) unless you are a very skilled driver with tons of track experience.

I'm in love with the Mono but until you're ready to break at the 50 board (vs 300 in a GT3RS) you are not ready to get the max out of one.

The radicals are good on club tracks with other radicals but if you get hit by a mustang you're toast.

Real Gt3/ GTD cars like the GT3R, McLaren, Ferrari, AMG, Audi are directly limited to the skill of the driver. Something like the ACR is WAY easier to hop in and be comfortable. The lambo is the same and 80% of the guys in that series are 5+ seconds off the pace. So someone can finish in the top 10 and basically get lapped.

For reference I am slower than the fastest guy- at COTA I was 1.5 seconds off pole and was in 16th place to start. So the field is much tighter.
I agree with CJ and would add: If you want to learn, get a race car for a spec class and race. Nothing will get you faster than competition in equal cars. There are lots of good and cheap series out there- Cup Cars are at the top (not cheap!!), going down to Spec Miata. I would seriously look into, (most expensive down to cheapest)- GT4, MX5 Cup, Spec Racer Ford, Spec Miata. Each of these are varying degrees of "spec", with from what I see MX5 Cup and Spec Racer being the most spec with others less so and therefore more tweaking and $$. Also consider participation rates, not fun if the nearest race is 100's of miles away and only 5 entries.

I think SRF offers the best competition and value. I had a dragging caliper my last race and dropped .4 secs from my best in qualifying- it cost me seven positions, from 4th to 11th!

If it's a toy, have it- but be safe. I think some track day specials are way too fast with little to no safety gear built in.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2017, 02:04 AM
Martini991RS
Advanced

Thank you for the replies so far.

Boxers the wolf sounds like a fantastic car those are amazing times at cota but I really want a closed roof car.

In my prime (when I was practicing frequently) I was about 2 seconds off the pace of my instructor a former Japan porsche cup car champion in the 991 RS. Currently around 3 seconds behind with not much practice (fundamentals are there says my instructor =).

There is more time be had and I am enjoying the improvement of lap times I just would want a different machine to get those last 2-3 seconds.

I tried a spec toyota it was just too slow for me I couldn't get excited about it. But definitely not looking to do any wheel to wheel for now, do not have enough time to put into it.

Lambo does sound like a handful but still entices me. Thank you for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Huracan Super Trofeo Vs 991.2 cup car