Sponsored by:

Apex Digital Track Coach Review

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by shotor
When is the Android app getting any update? Anyone know?
good question, especially given the relative market penetration of Android vs. iPhone ... I'm not buying one until there is parity in the app versions... its just not worth it to be the "bastard child" at the same price point
Old 07-09-2018, 12:23 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
good question, especially given the relative market penetration of Android vs. iPhone ... I'm not buying one until there is parity in the app versions... its just not worth it to be the "bastard child" at the same price point
I think a pretty big update came out the other day, I installed it but haven't been to the track yet with it so can't say what the new parts were.

on this faq page, there is a faq with the differences, seems mostly to be in the sharing and live streaming areas:
https://apextrackcoach.com/faqs/

here's the app page:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deftdynamics.kylekubik.apexapp

was updated june 16th.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:56 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steved0x
I think a pretty big update came out the other day, I installed it but haven't been to the track yet with it so can't say what the new parts were.

on this faq page, there is a faq with the differences, seems mostly to be in the sharing and live streaming areas:
https://apextrackcoach.com/faqs/

here's the app page:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.deftdynamics.kylekubik.apexapp

was updated june 16th.
Still doesn't have the same set of tracks as iPhone
Old 07-09-2018, 03:19 AM
s4corrado996tt
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for sharing!
Old 07-09-2018, 11:16 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Overall market share is a poor indication of market share in a specific market segment - especially in a market that requires disposable income - I severely doubt that Android is majority market share among porsche owners who track their cars - especially given Porsche’s lack of support for Android auto - you can buy a cheap used iPhone 5 just for the track - don’t even need to activate it!

android may have overall market share but once you start including income it skews iOS as you move up income segments....
Old 07-09-2018, 03:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
Overall market share is a poor indication of market share in a specific market segment - especially in a market that requires disposable income - I severely doubt that Android is majority market share among porsche owners who track their cars - especially given Porsche’s lack of support for Android auto - you can buy a cheap used iPhone 5 just for the track - don’t even need to activate it!

android may have overall market share but once you start including income it skews iOS as you move up income segments....
point is - I have an android phone, not an iphone, I dont want an iphone (especially for 1 application) ... the mobile apps for each mobile platform should be maintained in feature equality IMO YMMV.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:01 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,616 Likes on 1,768 Posts

I understand - just saying - it's an easily solved problem - and I've found having a dedicated track phone (with no SIM card) solves a lot of problems - no receiving calls while it's in car and on track and such…and remember software is expensive to develop and maintain - developers only put resources forward to provide software that matches the installed based they see actually using their product - based on the fact that they don't maintain the android version I think that tells us all we need to know about how their customer base is skewing…

you can get an iPhone 5s for less than $50 and just leave it in the car to work with the device - but I understand you'd rather not do that, but it's a simple solution that you seem to want to go out of your way to implement, but it would solve the problem.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:04 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
I understand - just saying - it's an easily solved problem - and I've found having a dedicated track phone (with no SIM card) solves a lot of problems - no receiving calls while it's in car and on track and such…and remember software is expensive to develop and maintain - developers only put resources forward to provide software that matches the installed based they see actually using their product - based on the fact that they don't maintain the android version I think that tells us all we need to know about how their customer base is skewing…

you can get an iPhone 5s for less than $50 and just leave it in the car to work with the device - but I understand you'd rather not do that, but it's a simple solution that you seem to want to go out of your way to implement, but it would solve the problem.
been in the business for 35+ years ... I *know* about the costs and challenges of maintaining both mobile platforms... IOS is a sh*t mobile O.S ... I dont do sh*t!
Old 07-16-2018, 03:01 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

kudos and thanks to the team at Apex for updating the Android version of the app.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:03 PM
arains44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you'd like to learn about the new iOS interface, check this out:

Android is easier to code an app for intially, but harder to build a good reliable app that works for a variety of OS variants and hardware.

iOS is a little trickier to learn and more peculiar, but ultimately is a more streamlined system that has more checks and balances for quality. iOS offers a little more structure for coders, but not as much flexibility.

They each have a positive and a negative. Like most things!
Old 08-21-2018, 01:56 PM
arains44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Android App has been updated with a new User Interface! Updates to the post session interface are next!!!

APEX Pro on the Google Play Store!

Quick Reply: Apex Digital Track Coach Review