Sponsored by:

Stealer 991.2 GT3 Listing on Rennlist

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 05:39 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
My spec is easy. 0 boxes ticked. Ok. Manual and seats.
You gotta pick a color too man.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:45 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
You gotta pick a color too man.
silver
Old 08-06-2017, 01:48 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

The downside of the "GT3 only" buyers mentality (which I totally understand because the last 911's I've owned have all been GT cars) is that the dealers that sell the MOST regular 911's get the most GT applications.

So I personally look at every guy that wants ANY 911 from my store as a VIP. In order to grow my business I have to sell every 911 I can get my hands on. Not easy to get extra GT allocations or even 911's from big P.

I know this is the GT forum and we are GT focused so I am preaching to choir but the GT cars really are super special. It is so much car for the money.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:55 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,795 Likes on 4,779 Posts

People are so strange here.

"You must sell me a GT car at MSRP!"

"Ok, we sell all GT cars at MSRP. But it's a first-come-first-serve policy."

"No fair. You must sell all GT cars at MSRP to long-time customers."

"Ok, we sell all GT cars at MSRP only to long-time customers."

"How retarded. You must sell all GT cars at MSRP only to previous GT owners."

"Ok, we sell all GT cars at MSRP only to long-time customers who have only bought GT cars from us."

"That's better, but you can only sell to those GT owners who actually drive their cars."

"Ok, how about you just tell me how much you want to pay me for my car that I'm trying to sell to you? Cool?"
Old 08-06-2017, 02:46 AM
mcsmcs1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
strange or self-serving?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:13 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

USCTrojan,

Since you're probably the most antagonistic anti-dealer poster here on RL, I'd like to ask how you'd handle the GT3 allocation issue. I hate to single you out, but you seem to wear that title with pride, so I'm confident you won't mind.

1.) If you were a large dealer like Beverly Hills, how would you determine who gets your 25 GT3 allocations? While it may seem unfathomable to RL posters, consider that most large dealers in large cities have an almost endless number of buyers willing to pay over MSRP for the allocation.

2.) If you were a small dealer and you only got 1 allocation, how would you determine who gets it? And yes, there were many small dealers who only got 1 allocation.

No hypotheticals please.

If you don't want to answer, that's fine too. I'm just really curious how you'd handle it, since you're so vocal and antagonistic about it. Plus, you started this thread and it's exactly the issue at hand.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:01 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

First come, first served. Easy. Someone pulls out? Goes to next in line. Transparent, understandable, and honest.
Old 08-06-2017, 06:09 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Seriously, can you imagine how hard it is to walk the tightrope of being a dealer, and then.. posting your rationale on rennlist?.. it's like asking for punishment... and then you get called a stealer. Respect to the professional who can walk this tightrope successfully day in and day out.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:24 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bardman
First come, first served. Easy. Someone pulls out? Goes to next in line. Transparent, understandable, and honest.
Thankfully Bardman its what our dealers do here in Australia (in majority of cases anyways). I have tried to jump queue but credit to dealer haven't been able too. I know a guy who has had 16 plus different models over years, was late to make enquiry /place deposit and he couldn't either.

My only challenge to this method is that you really need to be putting deposits on queue's that haven't even been formed yet to be assured of having half a chance. But still better the US system it appears.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Oldmxnut
Burning Brakes

Received 154 Likes on 79 Posts

Why don't you have a first in first served order and stick to it as suggested earlier. And deliver all cars at MSRP if thats what is agreed with the OEM. Rely upon the goodwill then then deliver margins via repeat business, service etc. etc... Make it on a Macan so to speak.

BUT if you must try and get margin above the MSRP and if the OEM permits it, why not establish a local dealer delivery premium of X% for say the GT range and apply that to all allocations received. Be transparent about it when the model is announced and stick to it or reduce only if left with stock towards ends of run per normal. The market will know that GT cars are more expensive via your dealership but at least will respect that your order and list is credible. A great number will then probably be prepared to order and continue repeat business acknowledging they are paying more but having respect for the order and that you are straight up from the get go. Don't allow queue jumping.

Like any market, people hate being lied (or even feel like they are) too.

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
USCTrojan,

Since you're probably the most antagonistic anti-dealer poster here on RL, I'd like to ask how you'd handle the GT3 allocation issue. I hate to single you out, but you seem to wear that title with pride, so I'm confident you won't mind.

1.) If you were a large dealer like Beverly Hills, how would you determine who gets your 25 GT3 allocations? While it may seem unfathomable to RL posters, consider that most large dealers in large cities have an almost endless number of buyers willing to pay over MSRP for the allocation.

2.) If you were a small dealer and you only got 1 allocation, how would you determine who gets it? And yes, there were many small dealers who only got 1 allocation.

No hypotheticals please.

If you don't want to answer, that's fine too. I'm just really curious how you'd handle it, since you're so vocal and antagonistic about it. Plus, you started this thread and it's exactly the issue at hand.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:03 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Seriously, can you imagine how hard it is to walk the tightrope of being a dealer, and then.. posting your rationale on rennlist?.. it's like asking for punishment... and then you get called a stealer. Respect to the professional who can walk this tightrope successfully day in and day out.
If I was a dealer I wouldn't even be on RL with all the hypocrites. This is the largest group of middle school girls on any forum I know.

Sure it's fun and certainly entertaining but if I was a dealer and livelihood depended on it, no way. I would have plenty of business and sales without the madness.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:51 AM
nuvolari612
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
USCTrojan,

No hypotheticals please.

25 best local customers - order high msrp service trade their cars at the dealer even better guys tracking which equates to spending more money. If a customer ticks all the profit centers of the dealer loyalty talks bs walks.

Can not stand dealers going on sitting talking negotiating. If it takes me more than 20 minutes I walk and have good friends who own dealerships of which I support by buying and telling friends to buy there.

Anyway - your question is silly majority here in these threads are frustrated ever see a a kid in a toy store not get what he wants - we are big kids with money so not getting what we want is the grown up version. Every car guy is the same only difference is the price of the toy. ADM to a buyer that moves the car outside the territory or gets burnt is a naive way of doing business seen McLaren Ferrari Aston guys never return to the brand because they punch above their weight class.

Porsche is entering a point where big depreciation is going to happen - they see it on the Pan Am Cayenne etc. but if this happens on GT cars basically like a persons second home - the first thing that goes when the cycle changes - so my question is when the cycle changes do you want customers who sell or support your brand.

Last edited by nuvolari612; 08-06-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:46 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Simple answer is set a price that clears the market. We have an allocation, as you know we have many good customers, let us know at what level you would be interested and we will see what we can do. We believe the market price is X and you can have one at X, but we are early in the process and welcome proposals. How hard is that?

If someone wants to spend $50k in ADM, well that is the profit on a half a dozen normal Porsches. Sure, that assumes no trade in profit or extra allocations or whatever so someone willing to trade in a GT3RS under MSRP is paying that ADM and you build in a factor for established customers (guy buys three cars a year from us would pay less), but make some judgments and be clear with people. What I don't get is if someone walks in and says, "I want one, I don't care what it will cost me, name the price" why on something as pedestrian as a GT3 that customer cannot be accommodated by at least being provided an ADM number that gets that person a car. I mean I am at the point where I would in and out a Panamera just to get the dealer profit so they can say they sold it at MSRP. There has to be some PCNA thing where selling new at ADM has negative consequences to the dealer. I mean I would be happy leaving $30k in cash in the trunk of a trade in at this point. I am now considering finding people who have an allocation at the dealer and having them order the car the way I want it and paying off that person. I want to stay in my territory and am loathe to do the call every dealer move.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:06 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The downside of the "GT3 only" buyers mentality (which I totally understand because the last 911's I've owned have all been GT cars) is that the dealers that sell the MOST regular 911's get the most GT applications.

So I personally look at every guy that wants ANY 911 from my store as a VIP. In order to grow my business I have to sell every 911 I can get my hands on. Not easy to get extra GT allocations or even 911's from big P.

I know this is the GT forum and we are GT focused so I am preaching to choir but the GT cars really are super special. It is so much car for the money.
Porsche has become an SUV company, with a side interest in selling sports cars; and it's a tragedy even though the Cayenne perhaps staved off bankruptcy many years ago. But the pricing structure for the 'base' forms of 911 is completely broken IMHO. Look at a decently optioned C2S; it's around $120K minimum; a C4 GTS is around $150K. This despite the fact that there are other really high quality vehicles that out-perform the base 911s, whilst almost having the exact same build quality, and that cost tens of thousands of $'s less. As a dealer, you know the declining figures of overall 911 annualized sales better than anyone on this board.

That's why Porsche should re-configure the proportion of 911s made, to over-weight the GT variants. There are people like myself desperately trying to purchase a new GT3, but with almost no chance to order one unless I'm willing to play the ADM game, and I'm not. If Porsche were to increase the allocations of GT cars made available to the public, and not just to certain individuals, they (Porsche) could make so much more money, and frankly so could you, the dealers. It's a win-win-win.

As it is, I'm on the list for an AMG GT R even though I'd still switch to a GT3 if I was able to; but I'm disgusted by the hoops potential purchasers are being made to jump through both by Porsche and many dealers. Not yours, as it is highly respected here and I wish you had allocations for all of us; you'd get my business for sure.

Bish
Old 08-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 720 Posts

[QUOTE=ChicagoWhale;14377046]USCTrojan,

No hypotheticals please.

I think CJ explained his point system in one of his threads

Quick Reply: Stealer 991.2 GT3 Listing on Rennlist