PDLS on GT3.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:27 PM
the-missile
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.Brick
Chris3963

Do the driving lights in the bumper stay on when you switch on the 4 dots in the driving lights?

Or do they switch off so the 4 dots stay alone?
if it follows the same logic as the LEDs, then the 4 dots will be ON instead of the bumper lights.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:50 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I haven't even looked at the different headlight options. You guys are crazy ;-)
Right? What am I missing here? I actually have no idea what color the headlights are on my current cars.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2five
Right? What am I missing here? I actually have no idea what color the headlights are on my current cars.
I haven't even looked at the different headlight options. You guys are crazy ;-)
Do you guys actually have an allocation, or are you here just trolling? Have you checked the option list?... or, do you not check that at all because.. you're presumptively not crazy like those of us who DO look at what options we are ordering.

As there is a material $2900 difference in price, when you are actually speccing your car this is a major choice. Just like wheel color, just like paint color, just like stitching etc. or are you just telling your dealer.. "give me a car, any car.. I don't care what it is".

Please, contribute meaningfully, lurk and don't post.. or just move along. But don't troll.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:49 PM
johnny2five
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Do you guys actually have an allocation, or are you here just trolling? Have you checked the option list?... or, do you not check that at all because.. you're presumptively not crazy like those of us who DO look at what options we are ordering.

As there is a material $2900 difference in price, when you are actually speccing your car this is a major choice. Just like wheel color, just like paint color, just like stitching etc. or are you just telling your dealer.. "give me a car, any car.. I don't care what it is".

Please, contribute meaningfully, lurk and don't post.. or just move along. But don't troll.
Not sure why my post was taken as trolling so let me elaborate a little.

My comment was specifically about headlight color. There's been so much talk about black vs grey vs silver headlight colors that I've seriously wondered what it is that I'm missing. I have very strong opinions about wheel color but not headlight colors. Ultimately, I get to save some money to spend on other silly things like red seat belts so all good. But I'm a car guy, and when other car guys talk/debate something, I usually have an opinion. In this case, I feel left out as I'm not grasping the topic of debate.

And since you asked...I placed my deposit for the GT3 two years ago and I am #11 at my dealer. They received 6 in the first round so I'm hoping my number is called next round. I have spent countless hours on here and on the GT3 configurator going back and forth on paint color, seat belt color, lift no lift, etc as I'm sure many others on here do. I did the same for my GT4 and a little bit on my Macan. Also, I don't drive my weekend cars much at night, and I when I do, it's in the city/suburbs so I ruled out LEDs. Have swiveling headlights in one car now, but don't in two others and I can live without it.

Anyways, end of rambling.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'm still lost on the PDLS 'option' on the configurator. I thought PDLS was standard, as I don't want it but can't figure out how to remove it. I would ditch PDLS if I could get rid of the headlight washers. I assume the $720 PDLS gets black housings?
Old 08-04-2017, 03:29 PM
Mc21
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm still lost on the PDLS 'option' on the configurator. I thought PDLS was standard, as I don't want it but can't figure out how to remove it. I would ditch PDLS if I could get rid of the headlight washers. I assume the $720 PDLS gets black housings?

PDLS is not standard.

Regardless of PDLS, you get the headlight washer and there is no way to remove them; this is not a GT4

Standard lights is Bi-Xenon no PDLS. The $720 gets you Bi-Xenon PDLS with DARKER housing (not exactly black).
Old 08-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Ah, got it. I'll probably skip it. I like the grey housing. I have the base lights on my C2S and they're fine. And, at least on that car, no headlight washers! Why do they call them headlight washers anyway? The should call them 'frunk lid water spotters'.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:44 AM
Mr.Brick
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by the-missile
if it follows the same logic as the LEDs, then the 4 dots will be ON instead of the bumper lights.
Nice
Old 08-05-2017, 03:35 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Relax CAlexio. We are not trying to troll, at least, I'm not.
I just couldn't care less about headlights and what color they are. It's funny to me how much thought some guys put in it (but which I do respect, to each his own) ! I just wanna enjoy and drive my car. Headlights are not going to help me with that, as I do not drive it at night. It's my weekend and trackday toy.

BTW, mine is at the dealer as of last week (almost a month late due to QC troubles) being prepped for Tuesday delivery.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Relax CAlexio. We are not trying to troll, at least, I'm not.
I just couldn't care less about headlights and what color they are. It's funny to me how much thought some guys put in it (but which I do respect, to each his own) ! I just wanna enjoy and drive my car. Headlights are not going to help me with that, as I do not drive it at night. It's my weekend and trackday toy.

BTW, mine is at the dealer as of last week (almost a month late due to QC troubles) being prepped for Tuesday delivery.
Congrats on your car arriving then. I guess I don't understand, did you just not pay much attention to any of the options? Lights are a pretty big component with this model especially.. this whole forum is focused on tiny details, have you ever seen the discussion on the relative value of the interior light design package?... pages long.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:53 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Trust me, I paid A LOT of attention to the options. I made what felt like a million configs on the online configurator and weeded through the option list with a fine comb. Had a gazillion back and forths about quite a bit of options. I lost nights of sleep over them. Bugged my wife, my friends, my dealer about them. I'm just lucky to have rennlist as extra guidance.

I did tick the "transformers" option box though ;-)

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post14375118
Old 09-22-2017, 02:41 PM
Mad Manx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In addition to the extra cost, does anyone know what weight penalty the PDLS LEDs add?

I recall reading somewhere that it is quite significant.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:25 PM
carrerafanboy
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Please excuse my bumping of an old thread!

Does anyone know if the black PDLS lights from the GT3.1 generation can be installed on a GT3.2 (assuming you can source them)? They have the proper fully black housings, rather than the current dark grey type... Wondering if they'll work without trouble, or throw a code.

Here's an example of the GT3.1 black PDLS lights from another Rennlister's post.
Old 06-07-2018, 03:43 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 606 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by carrerafanboy
Please excuse my bumping of an old thread!

Does anyone know if the black PDLS lights from the GT3.1 generation can be installed on a GT3.2 (assuming you can source them)? They have the proper fully black housings, rather than the current dark grey type... Wondering if they'll work without trouble, or throw a code.

Here's an example of the GT3.1 black PDLS lights from another Rennlister's post.
The 991.2 lights physically mount differently than the 991.1. They now bolt in with the bumper removed rather than disconnect through the frunk. The .2 non-LED (base and PDLS) also have built in DRLs now, so I suspect there are some wiring / controller differences.

I too wish Porsche offered a true black PDLS without the chrome and gray trim. If you can get ahold of .1 and .2 lights side by side, it’d be worth some experiments to see what could be done.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:36 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

.1 and .2 Mount differently, I checked.

However The PDLS is darker than you might think.

Here is a pic of 3 Xexon headlights in direct sunlight. .1 black on left, .2 PDLS in center, .2 no PDLS on right.

Quick Reply: PDLS on GT3.2