OT: Buying a new car in Canada / importing to US

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:58 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OT: Buying a new car in Canada / importing to US

Hi Guys ,
I thought I'd ask this question here since a number of ''used'' Porsches come up for sale that end up being bought by US buyers . I'm aware of the 2.5% duty upon import and perhaps the need to change speedo reading from KPH to MPH . I'm asking the question in relation to a US citizen ordering a new car in Canada and then bringing it into the US - is this possible ? I'm hearing that if the car was purchased by a Canadain citizen and then sold to a US citizen - no problem , but not OK if the US citizen buys from a dealer directly . I should add that the car in question is a VW Golf R which I'd like to buy in Canada because they are getting a '' mini PTS '' program with 30 optional colors for model year '18 which the US is not . Can't fathom why the US isn't getting it , but heard from a corporate source we're getting the 5 boring colors we always get .I don't think I'd be able to get around paying the sales tax both in Canada and my home state , but is there more to it than that ? My understanding is that VW ( or any Mfg.) won't provide the documentation to verify the vehicles are essentially identical and that might be the sticking point . Anyone with any knowledge of how I could do this legally ?
Thanks
Old 07-30-2017, 01:22 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You won't be allowed to buy a new car directly from a dealer. Dealers have agreements with VW preventing them from selling out of country. So yes, you would need a Canadian to buy the car first then flip it to you, but you'll also need to account for sales taxes if you do this, as the Canadian taking delivery will need to pay those.

From VW, you can get an export letter stating that it's legally drivable in the US, but they generally don't give them out unless the car is 6 months old.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Thanks - you are confirming most of what I'd heard . I guess it's the pain vs benefit ratio I'll need to come to grips with . I actually have a close family friend who lives in Canada that would probably go along with this . I'm about to contact a dealer with close ties to the enthusiast community and maybe they've done this sort of thing before .
Old 07-30-2017, 01:53 PM
superchargedman
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh, you're getting an R? Why are you asking in the GT section? I suppose any Canadian reselling to you should be fine.
Old 07-30-2017, 02:27 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

My RS is from Canada. Previous owner moved to San Diego with the car. I left the euro spec speedo. Think it's neat. My mph is displayed on digital screen below speedo.

Quick Reply: OT: Buying a new car in Canada / importing to US