Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 GT3 to Buy or not to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 04:31 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Hardly makes a difference.. it's $20-30k swing either way.. premiums if economy is great, 20% off max if it takes a dump. It's not like a GT car will be worth nothing. And if you're buying this car these numbers should be insignificant.. house prices swing 10x more.. THAT is worthwhile convo as it materially can affect people's wealth. How we are still talking about car values when the cars in question are $150k MSRP is beyond me.. this is piddly stuff, and if it isn't to you, you probably shouldn't be buying. Every time I see a "what's it worth" thread, I think "here is someone who shouldn't be buying as this is too big of a portion of their wealth or income for it to be a smart decision for them"
Old 07-24-2017, 06:59 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

Could not have said it better myself Calexio. You want what you want, you pay what you need to pay (except with PTS where you have to kill a chicken).
Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 PM
theplanner
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Hardly makes a difference.. it's $20-30k swing either way.. premiums if economy is great, 20% off max if it takes a dump. It's not like a GT car will be worth nothing. And if you're buying this car these numbers should be insignificant.. house prices swing 10x more.. THAT is worthwhile convo as it materially can affect people's wealth. How we are still talking about car values when the cars in question are $150k MSRP is beyond me.. this is piddly stuff, and if it isn't to you, you probably shouldn't be buying. Every time I see a "what's it worth" thread, I think "here is someone who shouldn't be buying as this is too big of a portion of their wealth or income for it to be a smart decision for them"
Absolutely spot on
Old 07-24-2017, 07:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
You are forgetting one important factor in your financial discussion. Keep in mind that you live in a high $ salary area. Move that same job to, lets say, South Dakota with a lot lower cost of living, and the job would not command the same salary. Therefore now the MSRP of the car consumes a bigger portion of the salary. The same goes for $ swing on housing.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:48 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
You are forgetting one important factor in your financial discussion. Keep in mind that you live in a high $ salary area. Move that same job to, lets say, South Dakota with a lot lower cost of living, and the job would not command the same salary. Therefore now the MSRP of the car consumes a bigger portion of the salary. The same goes for $ swing on housing.
I'm self-employed and I'm not in tech, so I could live anywhere, just live here because I'm crazy and I love the scenery, but zero % of my income is generated here. but I don't get your point, or, maybe you're saying the same thing I'm saying.
You're right, if your salary is too low, either because of the type of job you're in or how much it pays in relation to other zip codes, you shouldn't buy it. Exactly why there ARENT many Porsche's in North Dakota, and why entire capitals of states like Little Rock for example don't even have a Porsche dealer.. because the wealth concentration simply isn't there. Buying a car should be a relatively non-consequential decision... if it's value stresses you out, then maybe it's too high a portion of your spend ability. There is a reason I don't own a collection of cars, my house costs more in this area, so my disposable income is less, and I'm conservative so while I could comfortably own a few sports cars, it would be too great of a proportion of my income to do so. So I play it conservative for my finances, and I only have one at a time.

My point USC If you're not making enough money, no matter where you live, you shouldn't be buying this car. Its not for everyone.. everyone doesn't "deserve" something. Now, It's not for me to say what proportion of your income or wealth this car represents.. but as a guideline, if losing $20k in a year in depreciation matters to you, then maybe the car isn't for you. My stock portfolio fluctuates more than that in a day, And those are investments where I can tolerate discomfort or risk. A car is by definition a depreciating asset, not an investment. Ugh.. I'm talking in circles and preaching to the choir here, but let's just say if you're not making an extra zero in yearly income to the purchase price, maybe it's not a smart decision. Which brings up a good point.. maybe I shouldn't be buying one either by that metric. I should just sit on sidelines and wait until my AMZN or FB stock buys me the car and I don't even have to think about it. (I just want it so badly )

Last edited by CAlexio; 07-24-2017 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:22 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

On the other hand, even the wealthy (which I am not) can still be cheap. Whether or not $20k matters to you or not, you still may care. I went searching all over for the particular pick up I wanted (utility package Tacoma in black -- basically the cheapest you could get with 4x4, plastic bumpers, no rear seats, 5MT) and threatened to walk over $300 on the price. When the sales person saw my checking account statement (they did not want to take a check and it was after business hours for a wire so I showed it to him) he did not seem as ammused as I was. I mean I refuse to set foot in Whole Foods, keep my house at 55 in the winter, and wear a coat I have had since college. I don't think I am unique. I have seen people with 9 figure net worth dispute a check at a casual dining place. OTOH, ADM for PTS is fine.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Exactly. Its up to the individual to decide and not for others to suggest; unless of course they are the spouse and therefore have a vested interest in that decision. Wasn't it Walton, from Arkansas, who made all that money but yet drove around in an old beat up pickup. A lot of your next door millionaires never show it.

Too be honest, I have found that in the Porsche world more are apt to suggest and accept higher prices for stuff than in the MB world for example. Just see the use of ADM in selected areas.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:53 PM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I gotta say, those premiums only push me to look at other options. How can you not want to give Porsche the middle finger and jump ship to a McLaren or even used 458 in that MSRP+ADM price range? I know GT3's are unique in their own way, but I'm sure the same could be said of those other choices.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,097 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by easy888
I gotta say, those premiums only push me to look at other options. How can you not want to give Porsche the middle finger and jump ship to a McLaren or even used 458 in that MSRP+ADM price range? I know GT3's are unique in their own way, but I'm sure the same could be said of those other choices.
If there was no way around ADMs for a GT3 and I was looking at around $200k, I'd seriously consider picking up a nice used 458 to scratch that itch and wait for used GT3s to start trading for MSRP or less.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:11 PM
0to60
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Depreciation between a reasonable ADM new GT3 v a used 458 are not all that different. Also warranty coverage would be better with GT3. If one truly wants a GT3 why "zig zag" just step up and go direct to a GT3
Old 07-24-2017, 11:21 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GT3 or bust. To each their own. Enough said.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:42 PM
jmg3
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by jmg3; 05-30-2021 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:07 AM
SKY57
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting....
For me I can say when buying a $170K car, $20K-$30K extra is SIGNIFICANT enough to break the deal.
I sense people are starting to accept paying above MSRP and trying to make it sounds like a rational/smart decision.

Anyways. What do I know? I am just a normal guy who can only afford one sports/super car in my garage. Either a $180K .2 GT3, or a $200K+ Mclaren. Definitely not a $200K+ .2 Gt3.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:14 AM
easy888
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
If there was no way around ADMs for a GT3 and I was looking at around $200k, I'd seriously consider picking up a nice used 458 to scratch that itch and wait for used GT3s to start trading for MSRP or less.
We Trojans think alike

I do think though that principle also is part of the equation for me (personal perspective). Have purchased 6 Porsches and hold a decent relationship with the GM. To the extent that if the/a dealership would say "sorry, but your history doesn't count anymore", then it's clear signal to move on. Hell I was worthy enough to get my .1GT3 at MSRP. What's changed since? Certainly nothing on my end. Perhaps just greed on the part of the dealer. But business is business. I get it. Just won't play it.

Quick Reply: 2018 GT3 to Buy or not to Buy