Sponsored by:

I am afraid Mission E hurts us GT customers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 06:31 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dark knight
Im afraid the amount of R&D and infrastructure investment PAG is making will eventually hurt us, the GT customer. The company seems to be going all out on this product which is one I don't even want. So I am worried. I would like to buy a gas powered non hybrid or electric Mini Mission E 3 or 5 series competitor
Fear not. People thought the same thing with the Cayenne and Panamera. Truth is, that their success brought important profits that allowed them to reinvest into the GT and sports car programs as well. So, I hope everyone supports the Mission E for many reasons. But one of which, certainly is, it will ensure future development of GT cars as well! Plus, for a sedan, damn that car is SEXY!
Old 07-22-2017, 11:43 AM
dark knight
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

the worst kind of thinking is that we should be happy that PAG is building a "green"and more socially acceptable car so we will be "allowed" to have sports cars
Old 07-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

As electric cars gain prominence on the roads the cost of gas will begin to skyrocket.

This is going to put more pressure on people that own combustion engines to upgrade.

Fuel for our cars will eventually become a specialty commodity that will be both expensive and harder to find.

I hope that will be many years to come, but only a few years ago EVs were rare albinos. Now everyone is getting on the electric bandwagon and their acceptance is gaining faster than one might have expected.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:53 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 140 Posts

EV sales are up but let's keep some perspective on their acceptance: In 2016 total new car and trucks sales were approx. 17.5M units. By comparison, EV sales in 2016 were approx. 157k.

When the majors enter the market with EV models (soon!) I believe will be more compelling, the shift will accelerate. The analogy might be Motorola educating the market for cell phones until Apple blazed a new trail for the entire smartphone industry.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:59 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

How many bought/leased EV cars because of road benefits (HOV lanes), government subsidies (tax credits) and/or political statement? Would they have bought them otherwise?
Old 07-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
As electric cars gain prominence on the roads the cost of gas will begin to skyrocket.

This is going to put more pressure on people that own combustion engines to upgrade.

Fuel for our cars will eventually become a specialty commodity that will be both expensive and harder to find.

I hope that will be many years to come, but only a few years ago EVs were rare albinos. Now everyone is getting on the electric bandwagon and their acceptance is gaining faster than one might have expected.
Why would gas cost more when the demand for it decreases?
Old 07-22-2017, 09:26 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
How many bought/leased EV cars because of road benefits (HOV lanes), government subsidies (tax credits) and/or political statement? Would they have bought them otherwise?
I think we started out with that motivation, but once you buy/ride in/drive a Tesla.. everything else seems to antiquated suddenly. Not for a sports car, but for a transportation/commute device, it's sublime. And it's a Gen 1 product.. I have to imagine the Porsche version will only add to that electric car desire.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:31 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I think we started out with that motivation, but once you buy/ride in/drive a Tesla.. everything else seems to antiquated suddenly. Not for a sports car, but for a transportation/commute device, it's sublime. And it's a Gen 1 product.. I have to imagine the Porsche version will only add to that electric car desire.
The Tesla interior, at least in my book, is pretty ordinary - in fact disappointing and towards tacky. From . outside the S looks like a Mazda 6 and at 2.2 tonnes - it requires a lot of energy to move a car this heavy, and if you don't have access to renewables it makes a total mockery of the supposed environmental credentials.

If you think the "autonomous" driving mode makes it special - it doesn't. All major manufacturers have been working on these systems for a long, long time and still don't consider them safe (at this point in time).

IMHO, Teslas release of this system in beta format was simply reckless - In fact experts in Germany’s transport ministry declared Tesla’s autopilot a “considerable traffic hazard.”

To the OP, the only customers the Mission E will hurt are those that use the back seat of the car - theres a reason that particular door design is known as a "suicide door"

In fact, the biggest danger to GT customers, in the short term is the GT Dept itself. If the new GT3 engine has reliability issues (as per 991.1 E and F series engines) that remain unresolved, then they will have a big problem - they may prove to be an expensive luxury that Porsche can't afford. Keeping in mind its biggest sellers are Macans, Cayennes and non GT division 911s and the halo car is the "911".

Last edited by randr; 07-22-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:39 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I won't comment on the autonomous systems as that's an answer to a different point. The poster above mentioned that electric cars are purchased thanks to incentives, and I responded that they are very pleasant to drive in which makes them desirable in their own right even sans tax incentives. I agree the Tesla interior is poor, which relates to my Gen 1 comment. you should give an electric car a try, maybe rent for a day on Turo or Getaround if you're in a Tier 1 city with that service, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:12 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Why would gas cost more when the demand for it decreases?
Simple. Volume drives costs down.

Yes, the lower demand will temporarily drop prices, but the lower demand will also force lower production and closures of refineries.

With fewer internal combustion engines on the road there will be less filling stations, too, making using cars dependent on gas and diesel more cumbersome.

At some point refined fuel will be a specialty market (i.e., boating, aviation, and racing). Those markets will not support the current production facilities and the cost to maintain the remaining ones will only increase. In the end that cost gets passed on to the consumer.

I have no idea how long all of that will take, but the outcome is inevitable—some day.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:16 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I won't comment on the autonomous systems as that's an answer to a different point. The poster above mentioned that electric cars are purchased thanks to incentives, and I responded that they are very pleasant to drive in which makes them desirable in their own right even sans tax incentives. I agree the Tesla interior is poor, which relates to my Gen 1 comment. you should give an electric car a try, maybe rent for a day on Turo or Getaround if you're in a Tier 1 city with that service, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Ok, fair enough I guess from my perspective the adjectives I would use are, smooth, comfortable, and quiet (based on my experience as a passenger).

A Panny or S class are in a totally different league - at least from my perspective.

As an afterthought - another feeling I had was there was little to no emotional response to the car in question, I didn't feel moved by it at all. It felt entirely utilitarian and an entry point to a bland future.

By the same token there are many cars that are utilitarian, but the sense of a "bland future" is troubling.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:50 PM
W8MM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

OK, I live in the USA and my wife has a Tesla Model S as a daily driver. You and I must have a different definition of "emotionless".

The Tesla will suck the headlights out of 99% of the other cars on the road from a stoplight. The car gives a new perspective on effortless possession of holes in traffic. On our highways and byways, it's a true pleasure to drive.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:20 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Yup, that...
Old 07-23-2017, 01:26 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

If it's an awesome performing car and looks close to the concept, I'd be interested. However, after seeing the new Panamera in the flesh for the first time today, I can't say I'm optimistic about how the Mission E is gonna turn out. The Panny is a real let down IMO. Very generic and boring looking. On the styling front, Porsche really seems to be reverting to the mean rather than staying unique in their designs.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:32 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by W8MM
The Tesla will suck the headlights out of 99% of the other cars on the road from a stoplight. .
But other than 60ft acceleration, what else about the Model S is better than luxury sedans out there that cost half the price? When I drove the Model S, the only thing I found positive about it was the 60ft acceleration when I floored the car. There wasn't a single other thing that I could point to where I thought it excelled as a luxury sport sedan. It wasn't particularly roomy, the seats weren't great, the interior materials weren't up to German luxury standards IMO, and it didn't handle or brake exceptionally well. My $55,000 A6 was better in all those categories. And even my buddy's who have the P100D with ludicrous mode, tell me they got tired of the acceleration thing real quick and don't use it much at all. They all admit they paid a huge premium for the novelty.

The Mission E has to be an exceptional car, irrespective of the motor that's in it.

Quick Reply: I am afraid Mission E hurts us GT customers