Notices
991 GT3 GT3RS and 911R
Sponsored by:

.2GT3RS speculation/information thread.

 
Old 09-28-2017, 04:08 PM
  #136  
Termsheet
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Termsheet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Clemente, CA
Posts: 26
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

My GT2RS allocation is Aug 2018 build and 2019 model year. I assume 991.2 GT3RS would come after that.

Last edited by Termsheet; 09-28-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Termsheet is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 04:53 PM
  #137  
Scrappy1972
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 431
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27 View Post
Depends if they either increase bore or stroke to achieve 4200ccm. Larger stroke will decrease absolute rev capacity.
Increased bore = larger (heavier) pistons which will also affect their ability to preserve a 9k redline.
Scrappy1972 is offline  
Old 09-28-2017, 10:32 PM
  #138  
CRex
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
CRex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NYC / HKG
Posts: 2,969
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

All this talk about increased displacement... how is that gonna come?

Most engine breakthroughs in Porsche history trickled down from motorsport. The '74 3.0 from the '73 2.8RSR. The two evolutions of the 930 from the 934/935. The '92 3.3S from IMSA SCC. That list goes on an on, incl. the recent 997 4.0 from the GT3/GTE car.

At the moment the motorsport lineup just doesn't have anything remotely hinting at increased displacement. If anything the R&D appears to have gone *the other way round*. The GT3 car runs a derivative of the the street 3.8 MA175. The new Cup runs a derivative of the street 4.0 MA176. And they're all at 4.0L.

Those convinced that we're looking at a bigger engine, please enlighten... I so wish that I'm wrong on this one.
CRex is online now  
Old 09-28-2017, 11:32 PM
  #139  
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Drifting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 3,277
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by CRex View Post
All this talk about increased displacement... how is that gonna come?

Most engine breakthroughs in Porsche history trickled down from motorsport. The '74 3.0 from the '73 2.8RSR. The two evolutions of the 930 from the 934/935. The '92 3.3S from IMSA SCC. That list goes on an on, incl. the recent 997 4.0 from the GT3/GTE car.

At the moment the motorsport lineup just doesn't have anything remotely hinting at increased displacement. If anything the R&D appears to have gone *the other way round*. The GT3 car runs a derivative of the the street 3.8 MA175. The new Cup runs a derivative of the street 4.0 MA176. And they're all at 4.0L.

Those convinced that we're looking at a bigger engine, please enlighten... I so wish that I'm wrong on this one.

Completely agree with you. Everyone keeps talking about a 4.2 RS when Porsche has never made a 911 Motorsport variant with that size of engine.

Just wishing for a 4.2L 991.2 RS isn't the same thing as any real evidence that Porsche will suddenly do something so out of character.
Drifting is offline  
Old 09-29-2017, 03:23 AM
  #140  
Mech33
Super User
 
Mech33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,119
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Forget torque, it’s easy to make mistakes comparing torque unless you factor in tire sizes, final drive, gearing, etc. Just compare power at any given speed to realize relative specific acceleration.

The RS makes way more power vs speed when appropriately using each PDK gear, and should blow away thr GT4 pure acceleration-wise even factoring in the weight difference.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR View Post
Been thinking.

The GT3RS really needs more TQ or needs to be regeared.
Part of the speed of going to 19” is the smaller diameter rear tire.

I mean a regeared breathed-on manual GT4 on smaller rears can pull me in some corners because it’s the same TQ, less weight.

So Porsche needs to either make it lighter, fit more reasonable size rear tires, regear a lot for lower top speed OR go bigger displacement.

So maybe bigger then 4.0 is actually easier, cheaper to produce then all the above..
Just GT2RS Tires and a 9000RPM 4.0 won’t do enough to make it faster then a GT3 and a GT3 already will have trouble keeping up with the ever faster turbo non GT cars because TQ.
Mech33 is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 04:04 PM
  #141  
rickman_fr
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
rickman_fr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: France
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

any News ?
rickman_fr is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 09:37 PM
  #142  
RINGMEISTER27
User
 
RINGMEISTER27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New York City
Posts: 491
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Newest render I’ve seen. It makes sense if the 2RS design carries over.
Attached Images  
RINGMEISTER27 is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:25 PM
  #143  
neurotic
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
neurotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,682
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27 View Post
Newest render I’ve seen. It makes sense if the 2RS design carries over.
^love it

i think the price of the .1RS just dropped another 10K
neurotic is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:37 PM
  #144  
CAlexio
Super User
 
CAlexio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 8,330
Received 31 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by CRex View Post
All this talk about increased displacement... how is that gonna come?

Most engine breakthroughs in Porsche history trickled down from motorsport. The '74 3.0 from the '73 2.8RSR. The two evolutions of the 930 from the 934/935. The '92 3.3S from IMSA SCC. That list goes on an on, incl. the recent 997 4.0 from the GT3/GTE car.

At the moment the motorsport lineup just doesn't have anything remotely hinting at increased displacement. If anything the R&D appears to have gone *the other way round*. The GT3 car runs a derivative of the the street 3.8 MA175. The new Cup runs a derivative of the street 4.0 MA176. And they're all at 4.0L.

Those convinced that we're looking at a bigger engine, please enlighten... I so wish that I'm wrong on this one.
i am Jon Snow and I know nothing. However, AP made a point of saying how the new hard-lash valve gt3.2 engine reliably made up to 600hp on the test bed. They they are clearly building this engine for multiple applications (gt4 upcoming etc)... it seems intuitive to me that the RS will have a slightly higher redline to keep it special and differentiated from the gt3, and come in at something like a 525hp screamer.

but who knows.. winter is coming.
CAlexio is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:40 PM
  #145  
porscheflat6
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
porscheflat6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: In my Garage
Posts: 1,854
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RINGMEISTER27 View Post
Newest render I’ve seen. It makes sense if the 2RS design carries over.
Yes please! Love everything about it
porscheflat6 is offline  
Old 10-22-2017, 11:43 PM
  #146  
Drifting
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Drifting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 3,277
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by CAlexio View Post
i am Jon Snow and I know nothing. However, AP made a point of saying how the new hard-lash valve gt3.2 engine reliably made up to 600hp on the test bed. They they are clearly building this engine for multiple applications (gt4 upcoming etc)... it seems intuitive to me that the RS will have a slightly higher redline to keep it special and differentiated from the gt3, and come in at something like a 525hp screamer.

but who knows.. winter is coming.
Jon does know a few things. (As he said on the show).

Agree this engine has a lot more power in it. 525HP is likely for RS, maybe a slightly higher redline for differentiation, but I doubt it.
Enginegate is still fresh on the Porsche mind, plus they know that the RS just needs the extra 25Hp and the RS sticker and it will sell like hot cakes.
Drifting is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: .2GT3RS speculation/information thread.


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: