Notices
991 GT3, GT3RS, GT2RS and 911R 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 991.1 GT3 really not fast enough on track?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Default Is the 991.1 GT3 really not fast enough on track?

We have a lot of threads comparing the lap times of these cars, and I understand the attraction to ever faster cars. But having my GT3 at the track this past weekend reminded me that the car is pretty damn fast, and will be among the faster cars out there for years to come, even if sometimes not the absolute fastest (the faster cars I encounter are nearly always on slicks).

Given that it's not a race car, do any of you really feel that the 991.1 GT3 isn't fast enough? To the extent that going even faster is a strong motivation to replace it? Are we just addicts searching for a new high?
Old 07-18-2017, 06:29 PM
RFGGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree, fantastic car. This past Sat. at Sebring with Chin Open Track Day, my '14 crossed 20,000 miles with 7,000 track miles; E series engine is running like a top. Plan to run every month until the '18 arrives in Dec.
Great thread Manifold.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:29 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Manifold, I believe your last line says it all.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:33 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

super fast...especailly wth alignment and R7's...there will always be something faster, but there are a LOT of 500-600hp cars that are slower on track
Old 07-18-2017, 06:34 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Fast enough for sure. Just looking to try out the next car and see what the improvements will be. I don't expect the times to be drastically different.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:40 PM
nlpamg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very fast, faster than my full bolt-on R35 GT-R on the track (but I also think I became a better driver).
But I've always said this of the car, an extra 25hp and this car will be a beast. Well, that's why I have a 991.2 on order!
Old 07-18-2017, 06:53 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For street use the car has more than enough power. Any additional power would just be overkill and not utilizable.

For track use the car is very capable for the skillful and brave drivers. But for those less accomplished and timid like myself (despite many track days under my belt) we could use a little more power for overtaking on the straights. It's hard for driver's like me to pass 600 hp+ cars even if we can be faster than them on the bends. So another 50 hp would be handy on the straights to over take. So I will order the .2 gt3RS when it is launched if priced appropriately. Or perhaps I should just invest in driving lessons instead and start to take more risks on track.

And yes it is hard to keep up with the race cars on slicks.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

The more important question is it fast enough for your abilities. I would wager the GT3 capabilities exceeds 95% of the owners' driving abilities.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,791 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
Or perhaps I should just invest in driving lessons instead and start to take more risks on track.
Yes on driving lessons, and good instructors will help you go faster with the same or less risk. If skill develops hand in hand with pace, risk shouldn't increase.

I've instructed numerous drivers in this car, and frankly I don't think it's a good choice for a first track car. Just too much car for a newer driver, and the car doesn't really come alive until driven pretty hard.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:39 PM
Laguna_Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 33 Posts

i was faster in my '15 GT3 vs. '16 RS at thermal. GT3 felt way more tossable and controllable at the limit; very confidence inspiring; was able to keep pushing and pushing. RS was more of a knifes edge that would bite hard and left me too tense to have confidence to keep pushing. IMO, 991.1 GT3 has just the right amount of controllable power with predictable handling.

Separately, I wish Porsche made rear-steer an option vs. standard on these cars. I don't like it; GT3 had it; but was much less intrusive and aggressive vs. the RS. none of porsche's racing cars have it. it makes handling at limit too dynamic and unpredictable. I would rather car be loose and predictable vs. tight and unpredictable. at least with no rear steer; there is no confusing rear kicking out with steering.

Last edited by Laguna_Dude; 07-19-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:45 PM
JVO_STATUS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the track its a beast. I own a RS and it feels faster every time. For me, the more track time I get with her, the more comfortable I feel pushing her.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:46 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Received 110 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by aamersa
For street use the car has more than enough power. Any additional power would just be overkill and not utilizable.

For track use the car is very capable for the skillful and brave drivers. But for those less accomplished and timid like myself (despite many track days under my belt) we could use a little more power for overtaking on the straights. It's hard for driver's like me to pass 600 hp+ cars even if we can be faster than them on the bends. So another 50 hp would be handy on the straights to over take. So I will order the .2 gt3RS when it is launched if priced appropriately. Or perhaps I should just invest in driving lessons instead and start to take more risks on track.

And yes it is hard to keep up with the race cars on slicks.
^^this..
Old 07-18-2017, 09:59 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

The 991.1GT3 is fast as hell at the track! Very fast car. Faster than most and you can drive it home.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:14 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

At the end of the day, the car is only as fast as the driver and fast drivers have a lot of seat time and additional coaching.

Its always great to operate fine tools (and the 991.1 GT3 is a fine tool in most respects) - however, "miles makes champions" or "the driver makes the car rather than the car makes the driver".

The truth is, probably, the GT3 is way more capable than 99% of the owners and smart owners would/should be well aware of this. If they're smart they will seek out track time and coaching and build pace in relation to experience. However, there is always the point that you may get to where you go beyond the feathering limit of the tires and bin the car.

Understanding this limit and being able to feel it in ALL conditions means you have reached the limit of your abilities, which may or may not match that of the car

On another note, the problem with fast cars is, if you do track them a lot, you get very speed desensitised - so in that regard fast cars are like a drug (if you use them regularly as fast cars), what is particularly addictive is high corner Vmin (e.g loads of lateral grip) and the punch in the 80kmh - 240kmh range. The cars that deliver this in spades are the ultimate drug of choice.

What I personally find odd, are the buyers who never use the car for its intended purpose. I have a very good friend who has a beautiful white 991GT3RS - it has been to the track once - he called it an "unnerving experience". His whole reason for buying the GT3RS was because he thought it was a beautiful design - when he told me that, I was little surprised but ultimately got his perspective. Because it is design and beauty in motion. Each to their own

Last edited by randr; 07-18-2017 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 10:37 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

All faster/higher HP cars do is destroy tires at a faster clip. there is a massive upslope in diminishing returns for higher HP track toys...

Quick Reply: Is the 991.1 GT3 really not fast enough on track?