Sponsored by:

Elon Musk

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:01 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Elon Musk

I think he recently said, "in 10 years no more gas cars". We should all enjoy what we can buy today. Many of us are going to get to say "remember when we could buy gas cars"......
Old 07-17-2017, 06:11 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
I think he recently said, "in 10 years no more gas cars". We should all enjoy what we can buy today. Many of us are going to get to say "remember when we could buy gas cars"......
Elon Musk says a lot of things. And as a Tesla owner myself one has to learn that everything that comes out of his mouth must be taken with a very large grain of salt - esp. anything related to predictions of timelines.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:29 PM
longboarder
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 61 Posts

I tried to get on that bandwagon and then I drove a Model S as a potential daily. Leased in i8 instead.

Toyota defined the next 30+ years with the gas/electric hybrid when that Prius thing came out. The masses and infrastructure aren't ready for battery only just yet. In time sure.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:30 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
Elon Musk says a lot of things. And as a Tesla owner myself one has to learn that everything that comes out of his mouth must be taken with a very large grain of salt - esp. anything related to predictions of timelines.
Slightly OT, but what so you think of the Tesla? Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Model S 90D. Will be our new Nanny car but the lease deals are pretty good for what you get vs a new Panny Hybrid.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:32 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Gasoline isn't going anywhere IMO.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:40 PM
VECCA
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Slightly OT, but what so you think of the Tesla? Thinking of pulling the trigger on a Model S 90D. Will be our new Nanny car but the lease deals are pretty good for what you get vs a new Panny Hybrid.
I'll chime in. I've had a 90D for the past year and a half as my DD. Great car!
Old 07-17-2017, 06:46 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one of the original Signature models, i can tell you when i first drove the car in 2012, as a hardcore of a petrol car owner i'm, i new right away this car will forever change from getting from point A to B. That's also the moment i bought a ****load of Tesla stock sub $20's. You only have to drive one to realize. I have been/driven super exotic cars but this is the best car from point A to B.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:49 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts

Love our 2016 Model S. There is nothing like the acceleration.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:50 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks all - you've sold me. Already have a level 2 charger at home so it makes the decision easier.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:00 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by white6speed
I have nothing against electric vehicles, but I don't think anybody reading this will ever be saying that.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

There is no way petrol cars are going away in our lifetimes, even in the most optimistic of projections related to EVs. Most of us on this board will be long dead before there isn't an ICE option available to us if we want it.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I have one of the original Signature models, i can tell you when i first drove the car in 2012, as a hardcore of a petrol car owner i'm, i new right away this car will forever change from getting from point A to B. That's also the moment i bought a ****load of Tesla stock sub $20's. You only have to drive one to realize. I have been/driven super exotic cars but this is the best car from point A to B.
I've driven one and had a similar reaction on the first part (i.e., this is the future) and the exact opposite reaction on the latter. Other than the acceleration, there was nothing about the car that interested me and, honestly, I wouldn't buy one if it was half the price. Different strokes.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:40 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

Thanks all - you've sold me. Already have a level 2 charger at home so it makes the decision easier.
I can honestly say I've never met someone who has ridden in one or driven one who didn't enjoy it. It's not for everyone, but it's pretty awesome.

I enjoy my RS and M2 on the track but the Tesla is just the best DD I've ever had. My RS is in a garage at the track and the Tesla is a great way of getting to and from - autopilot on the highway is super fun. Love it around town too.

Edit: Additional comment - I'd much rather own a Tesla than a Panny but the Porsche will be far nicer inside. The interior of the Tesla is just barely acceptable given the price point. I'd say this is the one downside that is tough to argue against.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:42 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I've driven one and had a similar reaction on the first part (i.e., this is the future) and the exact opposite reaction on the latter. Other than the acceleration, there was nothing about the car that interested me and, honestly, I wouldn't buy one if it was half the price. Different strokes.
My point. Best car from point A to B. Never said most enjoyable, exciting etc.

Question, what would you find as being the best car from point A to B ? i.e DD commute , go to the store to get X etc.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
My point. Best car from point A to B. Never said most enjoyable, exciting etc.

Question, what would you find as being the best car from point A to B ? i.e DD commute , go to the store to get X etc.
Depends on what characteristics you think make a car the 'best' going from point A to B. For me, anything I drive has to be enjoyable in some way, so that would be key. But if I was focused on comfort or utility, I still wouldn't pick a Tesla Model S. I find the interior of the Model S lacking, the seat comfort, the plastics, everything about it seems cheap and plastichrome to me. And the back seat is way too cramped for an adult. If I were looking for a sedan, I'd pick any number of Porsche, Audi, BMWs, Mercs before I'd pick a Tesla. But that's because I put zero value on the EV element of the car. I understand if one does, they would pick the Tesla.

Back when I drove my neighbor's Model S, I was driving an A6 sport. Jumped out of that, into his Model S, back into my Audi. There was zero chance I would have traded him cars straight up.

Quick Reply: Elon Musk