Elon Musk

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 04:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by redgt3
its happening
Volvo have stated no ICE only cars from 2019 - 2 years away!
To be clear, they said no purely ICE cars from 2019 on. Not that their entire lineup will be full electric. And Volvo's market share is a rounding error on a rounding error, and they're Chinese owned and the parent is committed to electric.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:43 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
It's just taste. I don't find the materials in the Tesla to be very luxurious. They feel more Honda than Mercedes. And things like when you slam the doors, they don't give that solid feel like slamming the door of a Panamera. And the seats just look and feel cheap to me compared to the other luxury sedans. Again, may just be different tastes.

What isn't a taste issue is the back seat room. I would never be able to buy any sedan/SUV, etc. where a full grown man of 6'1"+ could not sit comfortably and the back seat of the Model S doesn't allow that. Feels like a coffin back there, while the back seat of the Panny is awesomely comfortable. Even the back seat of my A6 was luxurious compared to my buddy's Model S (P85D).

And the last Panny could easily be had in the lower $100s, particularly later in the cycle. A decently equipped 4S can be priced out at $140ish now as well, so they're not that far apart. But I think the new Panny is on a completely different level than the Model S in terms of the overall package.

If anyone builds a great car that just happens to be electric, I'll be interested. I'm hopeful, given some of the designs that appear to be on the horizon, but I will wait and see how they actually perform and how they're priced.
I test drove the Tesla X, it was a max spec and I really liked the interior, it had soft close doors and those crazy gull-wing doors and a huge screen, ludicrous mode and all that good stuff.

But I could not get past the exterior, it looks like a soccer-mom people carrier and given the price it really put me off. For a $100k I want a car that looks good as well as being the future.

I'm selling my RRS in the next few weeks and not sure where I'm going after that, maybe a Velar next year, I want my next SUV to be a petrol-hybrid or all-electric and the options are fairly limited at the minute.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:45 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
Until we get a common plug and common charging system, that can be used by all car manufacturers or at least most of them.....it's not happening. It's been tried many times in the ASAE but the deal falls apart. Hate to say it but it might take federal action to have a common plug and charger by say...2030...
I'll never drive a EV car PERIOD. I love gross polluters.
Old 07-19-2017, 03:06 AM
Seneca035
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
When point A is 500 miles away from point B, Tesla just can't get me there. When they do, and they will, I'm a buyer. Assuming my Marriott has a charger for day #2.
You can drive anywhere in the country in a Tesla now... superchargers to top up quick, and destination charging to top off overnight wherever you are staying.

https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I don't get why they won't put solar panels on these electric cars and have them charge are they are out in the sun. So much free solar energy out there.
Fisker Karma had a solar roof panel, and it only provided enough energy to run the ventilation system at max power. Solar panels on the roof are where its at to recharge the battery with free energy.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:21 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

and this...

http://jalopnik.com/the-problem-that...uti-1796728488

Lithium and cobalt mining itself, it's a dirty and messy mining operation done in open pits and can cause toxic runoff if not done right, most of the mining is done in third world places with little or no environmental protections. So people that buy EV being a bit smug about saving environment, well they are only saving their own local environment per sa.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:52 AM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 406 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer
Another opinion on EV's: https://www.wsj.com/articles/electri...ast-1499873064

And take the government tax breaks away and see what happens to EV sales....
The next two years will be very telling for Tesla and the EV market. Tesla runs out of the EV tax credits next year (assuming they ramp up the Model 3 at a decent rate). We will see if people continue to buy Teslas in volume after the credit goes away.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:02 AM
FRP||
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
I don't get why they won't put solar panels on these electric cars and have them charge are they are out in the sun. So much free solar energy out there.
The density of solar power is such that it's of little practical benefit to fir the car's themselves with solar. With the upward facing surfaces covered in panels you'd be hard pressed to make up for the power draw of the on board electronics much less charge the battery.

Even without the parasitic draw you'd get a few miles of range per day in sunny climates.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are still using energy regardless of what type. Time to charge is a big thing for me as refill takes just a few minutes with gas. Also electricity in our area of CA is more expensive and generated from burning wood chips so an ALL electric cars are no more than a wood burning stove.

As soon as nuclear come back into use then I will reconsider. Also tech is improving all the time and a hybrid won La Mons again. Time will tell what the future brings.

All this aside I would consider all electric if I lived in the city.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tesla need to get a bigger truck! Anyone seen their P/E lately?

https://seekingalpha.com/article/408...llow-blue-pill
Old 07-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Pokerhobo
Burning Brakes

Received 534 Likes on 292 Posts

I love how people complain about the EV tax credits when the oil industry gets about $1 Trillion in subsidies (http://priceofoil.org/2012/06/13/1-t...-transparency/).

As for range anxiety, the significant majority of drivers don't drive 500 miles in one day. Average commute to work is 16 miles and 100 miles is considered extreme. For long *** driving, rent an RV.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:55 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

All this aside I would consider all electric if I lived in the city.
Actually, older places in the city, DC at least, do not have the electric hook-up or supply available. Even new ones are not being built, yet, with EV charging in mind. My property manager told me of a building he manages in DC where a guy with Tesla paid 30K of his own money to run 240V to his spot and install a charger. It involves, concrete work, doing it code, and permits.....and his own meter. The condo board, rightfully, did not want to pay for it....why should they. Anyhow, the next trend will be buildings designed from the get-go with EV charging in mind. Not there yet...
Old 07-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Seneca035
You can drive anywhere in the country in a Tesla now... superchargers to top up quick, and destination charging to top off overnight wherever you are staying.

https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging
No offense, but you might want to click through to that map and click on some of the 'locations'. Most of them are a single charger, available only to patrons of the establishment (e.g., hotel). They're not big charging stations that you can drive off the freeway, find an open charger, fast charge and be on your way.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:10 PM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I just wonder what is going to happen to electricity costs when millions of EV's are on the road? This cost increase, which guaranteed is coming, will also impact the electricity costs for everyone, even those without EV's.
Old 07-19-2017, 05:42 PM
tqevo
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 80 Posts

I never thought they could make cars sound worse than turbos until they made EVs
Old 07-19-2017, 05:53 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by tqevo
I never thought they could make cars sound worse than turbos until they made EVs
I'm gonna be opening up an aftermarket exhaust company for EVs. Support me on instapanorama,faceagenda,YouCook,Lalalala....

Quick Reply: Elon Musk