Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elon Musk

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:58 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

When point A is 500 miles away from point B, Tesla just can't get me there. When they do, and they will, I'm a buyer. Assuming my Marriott has a charger for day #2.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

When someone builds a car that is so good that I would still buy if if it had an ICE engine, I'll consider an EV. I'm hoping maybe the Mission E is that car.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:23 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The French passed a law stopping the sale of all petroleum powered vehicles by 2040, Germany is expected to pass a law after the next election, the EU is already planning to ban Diesels from cities.

We're close to the end of the advancement of the petrol engine, why would companies spend money innovating when they can't build new cars in 20 years time?

But that also means we're at the finale, the crescendo of the motor vehicle, so buy your favourites and hold onto them, because soon they'll be gone and no more will be made.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:54 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,802 Likes on 2,167 Posts

I don't get why they won't put solar panels on these electric cars and have them charge are they are out in the sun. So much free solar energy out there.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 916 Posts

Another opinion on EV's: https://www.wsj.com/articles/electri...ast-1499873064

And take the government tax breaks away and see what happens to EV sales....
Old 07-17-2017, 10:07 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 285 Likes on 178 Posts

I really didn't like the Model S. But it's an opinion and everyone has theirs. I didn't like the interior or seats. The seats may be better now. But still I enjoy the sound of a good ICE and the whine of the electric motors doesn't do it for me. 10 years is very optimistic and the laws that are being passed can be changed. I don't see ICE's going away anytime soon.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Funny, even though cars were invented 100+ years ago, people still own and ride a lot of horses...

The market will be there for petrol cars for a long, long time. The simple fact is that there are still huge hurdles to the mass adoption of EVs and the cost to turnover every car on the road would/will be enormous. A generational event. We'll all be dead by then.

It is the future. Just not the near future some people think it is.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:29 AM
atc5
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

... take the government tax breaks away and see what happens to EV sales....
Straight into the crapper.....Tesla is so heavily subsidized by the government that if they went on their own, they're a big ol' zero.

See the breaks amazon gets on postal mail?

So long as uncle sam is on yr side, it's all Best Of Times.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:33 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Is that so? Had no idea. How much per year?

Eddie

Originally Posted by atc5
...See the breaks amazon gets on postal mail?...
Old 07-18-2017, 12:37 AM
atc5
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Nizer;14330413]
Originally Posted by eddielasvegas
Is that so? Had no idea. How much per year?

Eddie
http://fortune.com/2017/07/16/amazon...rvice-subsidy/
Old 07-18-2017, 12:47 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by atc5
Straight into the crapper.....Tesla is so heavily subsidized by the government that if they went on their own, they're a big ol' zero.

See the breaks amazon gets on postal mail?

So long as uncle sam is on yr side, it's all Best Of Times.
That's factually incorrect. Tesla paid back their loan wth interest a few years ago. Check your facts. TSLA is supported by overly optimistic private equity investors maybe, but govt has nothing to do with it now.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:02 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Depends on what characteristics you think make a car the 'best' going from point A to B. For me, anything I drive has to be enjoyable in some way, so that would be key. But if I was focused on comfort or utility, I still wouldn't pick a Tesla Model S. I find the interior of the Model S lacking, the seat comfort, the plastics, everything about it seems cheap and plastichrome to me. And the back seat is way too cramped for an adult. If I were looking for a sedan, I'd pick any number of Porsche, Audi, BMWs, Mercs before I'd pick a Tesla. But that's because I put zero value on the EV element of the car. I understand if one does, they would pick the Tesla.

Back when I drove my neighbor's Model S, I was driving an A6 sport. Jumped out of that, into his Model S, back into my Audi. There was zero chance I would have traded him cars straight up.
I had an S4 B5 i have driven the new All Road Audi wagon (brother has one) - would gladly disagree with you that these cars are "inspiring to drive" more so then the Tesla. Both were very numb and boring cars. Yes the seats on the Tesla are not the "best" however they do the job perfectly fine. How often do you use the backseats ? I have mine equipped w/ 3rd row seats. I have used the car for 10k miles, and mostly with rear occupants, no one has ever complaint about the backseats. Yes fit and finish can be better - but i can say that just about every make except for Maybach / Bentley / RR / Mclaren.

ps. i'm surprised you didn't find the Tesla comfortable. At highway speeds it's so quiet, i can fall asleep. The air suspension absorbs the bumps on hwy101 very well. Better then my 958 Cayenne S w air suspension.

Originally Posted by LexVan
When point A is 500 miles away from point B, Tesla just can't get me there. When they do, and they will, I'm a buyer. Assuming my Marriott has a charger for day #2.
How often do you drive 500 miles ? I'm not here to change your mind however my DD is a Smart because if we start talking about practicability and maximizing utilizing for efficiency, chose the right tool for the job. I'm assuming many here on rennlist have more then 1 car in the garage.....

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 07-18-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

So much fear and defensiveness on RL.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:54 AM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
So much fear and defensiveness on RL.
Sorry if i came across defensive. The comment about traveling 500 miles and causing fear to me is silly. If you do that daily. Move closer to work, if you can, if you do that because that is the nature of your job, obviously not the car for you. If you travel - analyze the frequency and perhaps a rental car is better suited. I have rented cars from Enterprise to go to the snow vs. taking any of my cars. Situation awareness.

About interior quality i think it's a sorry excuse. I have owned a 996T, those went for 120k + 997 gt's same, CGT etc if you ask me - how is the interior ? Laughable compare to a Tesla...
Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The move of inner euro cities AND china to ban petrol cars is very real. Paris, Beijing smog causing serious health issues from ICE cars has been well documented. And it's a noise pollution problem as well. Can you imagine how different Paris or Rome would be without the noise?

As much as I'm not a fan of Tesla cars, the lower price point of the new car will move them forward as well as the commercial trucking venture. And cars and trucks are only a part of it as the off the grid home panels and Battery packs are very much a part of the millennial mindset.

Quick Reply: Elon Musk