Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 01:13 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 658 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
When I put in the rear AP rotors, it apparently threw off the parking brake sensor due to the rotor being a bit thicker than OEM. Has anyone else experienced this? My shop said it won't affect engagement and disengagement of the parking brake, but I find it annoying and a bit disconcerting to continue seeing parking brake warnings.
I'm thinking that you likely have something other than a disc thickness issue going on. There's no reason to believe disc thickness would impact the parking brake functionality.

Our discs are almost the exact same thickness as the OEM units. The rear OE disc we used to evaluate measured 29.92 mm. Our discs have a nominal thickness specification of 30.00 mm. The Inner Diameter of the OEM parking brake drum measures 7.089". We specify on our drawing 7.089” +/-.005”, and our production parts are all measured on a Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) for accuracy as part of our QC check.

Have you checked your parking brake pads for wear?

Also, we have these installed on quite a few cars at this point (some of which are literally tracked every day), and have never had a report of any parking brake issues/compatibility.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 12-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,424 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
I'm thinking that you likely have something other than a disc thickness issue going on. There's no reason to believe disc thickness would impact the parking brake functionality.

Our discs are almost the exact same thickness as the OEM units. The rear OE disc we used to evaluate measured 29.92 mm. Our discs have a nominal thickness specification of 30.00 mm. The Inner Diameter of the OEM parking brake drum measures 7.089". We specify on our drawing 7.089” +/-.005”, and our production parts are all measured on a Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) for accuracy as part of our QC check.

Have you checked your parking brake pads for wear?

Also, we have these installed on quite a few cars at this point (some of which are literally tracked every day), and have never had a report of any parking brake issues/compatibility.
Thanks for this info. I'll relay this to the shop that did the installation to see what they say.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:21 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Manifold
Thanks for this info. I'll relay this to the shop that did the installation to see what they say.
No worries. If the pads aren't worn, maybe it's an electrical gremlin with the switch? Old-school mechanical parking brake levers do have their merits!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've seen the same grooving on other slotted rotors (mine and on other cars). It occurs at the end of the slots. At first it concerned me, but seeing it on other cars makes me believe it's normal.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:36 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 630 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by orthojoe
No problems with parking brake for me either
No parking brake issues here either.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

God, you have know idea how much this bothered me....

Cicadas...the noise sounds like cicadas.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:39 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 630 Likes on 386 Posts

I love the look of my AP rotors, except for the rust all over the non-swept parts of the iron rotor. Wish they would do a simple costing on the rotor so they looked nice everywhere!
Old 01-19-2016, 09:36 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

For those who are in serious tracking should consider RB's two piece rotors like Corvette Z06 guys' consensus in this thread where all major brands' are mentioned and compared.
Best 2 pc light weight rotor for grand sport...

Read more: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...#ixzz3xjrMXpXV

We guarantee an even disc surface across (except spider cracks) for track application provided the calipers are in good shape*, or the disc will be replaced at no charge.

You can also search around Nissan GT-R forums and learn why RB is the most favored two piece rotors by those track guys.
*RB also has the upgrade "one piece" stainless steel pistons that never crack on you, and high temperature dust boots that can protect your seal and brake fluids here:

Front caliper; http://www.racingbrake.com/SearchRes...nsive_Search=Y

Rear caliper: http://www.racingbrake.com/SearchRes...nsive_Search=Y

Our high temperature (Blue) dust boots are also guaranteed to outperform OE (provided no contact to brake fluid), and other aftermarket boots or your money back.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:19 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Default Upgrade front to CCM rotor

Upgrade to RB CCM rotors and benefited from the latest braking technology and forget all about these stated concern.

We offer a very affordable and flexible combo:

Front: RB/ST CCM (disc made by Surface Transforms)
Rear: RB light weight 2 pc

Total weight saving ~36 lbs over OE set up, yet at highly affordable price (cost fraction of pccb), and run at lower maintenance cost.

Please join discussion here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...l#post12948545
Old 01-28-2016, 03:55 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where are the RB rotors cast, the U.S.?
Old 01-28-2016, 05:21 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
For those who are in serious tracking should consider RB's two piece rotors like Corvette Z06 guys' consensus in this thread where all major brands' are mentioned and compared.
Best 2 pc light weight rotor for grand sport...

Read more: http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...#ixzz3xjrMXpXV

We guarantee an even disc surface across (except spider cracks) for track application provided the calipers are in good shape*, or the disc will be replaced at no charge.

You can also search around Nissan GT-R forums and learn why RB is the most favored two piece rotors by those track guys.
*RB also has the upgrade "one piece" stainless steel pistons that never crack on you, and high temperature dust boots that can protect your seal and brake fluids here:

Front caliper; http://www.racingbrake.com/SearchRes...nsive_Search=Y

Rear caliper: http://www.racingbrake.com/SearchRes...nsive_Search=Y

Our high temperature (Blue) dust boots are also guaranteed to outperform OE (provided no contact to brake fluid), and other aftermarket boots or your money back.
not trying to be a jerk here, but what does this have to do with AP's and the OP's thread? Aren't RB's a competitor to AP's? If that's the case, then isn't it bad form to come onto a thread about AP and then start advertising RB?
Old 01-28-2016, 05:27 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

True. Lol...still never heard where the RB rotors are made. China?
Old 01-28-2016, 06:21 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Learned something today. Great info.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:21 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
not trying to be a jerk here, but what does this have to do with AP's and the OP's thread? Aren't RB's a competitor to AP's? If that's the case, then isn't it bad form to come onto a thread about AP and then start advertising RB?
Thank you.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:53 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Our iron rotor casting are from Taiwan, CCM discs are supplied by Surface Transforms from UK.

All design, assembly and test are done in our So cal facility in Fullerton, CA, a 30 year US brake company.

We can only speak for ourselves, however you might be surprised to learn that those claimed their parts are made in US, Europe, or Japan are actually sourcing from China (whole or part), but company like Chevy of course must disclose their sourcing from China, so are you going to question Chevy's quality or their source or origin.

We believe more optional choice is always good for a consumer. Despite we have quite a few local subcontractors supply us our brake components, I still believe presenting the design and technical merits of our brake is a better approach to win customer' trust than making source of origin as a big deal.

Last edited by RacingBrake; 02-01-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Ridge in middle of AP rotors