Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JetPilot Harness - 6 pt belts, no sub bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015 | 11:45 AM
devenh
Instructor

Default JetPilot Harness - 6 pt belts, no sub bar

Like many of you, I have had to figure out how to install six point harnesses in my GT3 with LWB. We all know what a pain this can be.

I really wanted something that was easy to install and, when not in use, would be easy to remove. Of course it had to be SFI certified and meet the tech requirements of the events I participate in.

I decided to go with the JetPilot Harness from TeamTech Motorsports (teamtechmotorsports.com). After completing my first event with them this weekend, here is what I think:

Advantages
  1. Only requires four mounting points
  2. No sub bar, no cutting passenger seat
  3. Easy to install and remove
  4. Color combinations completely customizable
  5. Can be refurbished after expiration
Disadvantages
  1. Cost - $529.43, order version DH-5010
  2. Perhaps more difficult to get into that standard six point belts
  3. Potential discomfort with straps under legs and behind waist
  4. Sizing can be difficult, may require sending them back to be modified at extra cost
The harnesses are custom made for each driver/passenger and you have to supply some measurements. If you are just using the harness for yourself and a known passenger, this is not a problem. But if you have a wide range of potential passenger sizes, then there might be some sizing issues. As a practical matter, I don't think this is an issue unless there is an extreme size range, like 110 lbs to 230 lbs.

I decided to order one set slightly smaller than the other. Both sets fit me and I can select the one most appropriate for the passenger.

Knowing sizing was a concern, the first order I placed was just for me so I could get everything sorted out. I ordered their standard configuration with snap in belts and tube mount shoulder belts. I chose red webbing, yellow pads, and blue tabs.

After installing the harness (and this was my first harness installation), I realized they could be configured much better. I sent the harness back and had the following changes made:
  1. Remove 3" bar slides on lap belt and sew in the bolt in and snap in hooks
  2. Shorten the lap belts to remove excess length
  3. Change the inboard lap hook from snap in to bolt in
  4. Reverse the position of lap belt adjusters so you pull to the outside to tighten
  5. Remove the Velcro from the back of the waist strap
  6. Change the shoulder straps from tube mount to snap in (I have the GMG bar)
For sake of brevity, I won't go into detail on the reasoning for all of the above (unless asked), but the net result is a very nice configuration.

It does take a little practice to get into the harness, but once you get the hang of it, I don't see this as much of an issue. I have not found the straps under the legs and behind the waist uncomfortable.

TeamTech is a small operation and has been easy to work with. I have no affiliation with them. I did mention to them that this configuration might be popular with GT3 owners, so ask for the DH-5010.

Complete belt system

Close up of the lap belts and harness

Shoulder belts -- these are the 2" HANS compatible version -- note how they are narrow where they cross the neck/shoulder area

Strapped in

When removed, this is all that is left

Last edited by devenh; 05-18-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2015 | 01:06 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks
I may need this for ED.

You have a roll bar?
Works with HANS?
Where does it all connect to?
DH5010 has all your changes incorporated?
Old 05-18-2015 | 02:35 PM
devenh
Instructor

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Thanks
You have a roll bar?
Works with HANS?
Where does it all connect to?
DH5010 has all your changes incorporated?
GMG.

Yes, works with HANS. Specify HANS shoulder straps. I have one set of 2" straps and one set of 3" straps (have both HANS and Necksgen).

Lap belts connect to the factory mounting points. You will need to buy a 7/16-20 eye bolt for the outboard side and a longer bolt for the inboard side (I used 7/16-20 x 1.25 - I also placed 2 washers here, if you don't do this, a 1" bolt might work).

The shoulder belts connect to the roll bar in the standard fashion.

Yes, DH-5010 incorporates these changes. TeamTech should have on file the driver and passenger dimensions. Both fit someone 5'11" and 175 lbs. The driver dimensions are smaller and the passenger ones are larger (fits to about 210 lbs). You'll need to specify 2" or 3" shoulder straps.

Dimensions can be tricky, so if in doubt, order big as they can later be cut down. The most critical measurement is the waist as they are less adjustable.

Edit: Cantrell roll bar owners may want to order shorter shoulder belts as their mounting points are closer to the seats than GMG's. Tube mounts might also make sense with Cantrell.

Last edited by devenh; 05-18-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2015 | 08:51 PM
kfmcmahon
Three Wheelin'

Have you been on track with it yet?

If so, how does it compare to standard 5 or 6 point harnesses, in terms of locking you in place and ease of ingress/egress?

thanks
Old 05-19-2015 | 12:52 AM
devenh
Instructor

This is the first 6 pt harness I've owned, so I can't directly compare them to conventional 5 or 6 pt belts. I have been a passenger in someone else's car. The JetPilot does hold you in just as securely, which is what you would expect as they are certified.

With practice, ingress should not be an issue. However, I think it would take slightly longer than conventional belts.

Emergency egress should be equivalent to conventional belts. Normal egress may take a bit longer as you want to loosen some of the straps before exiting -- this makes getting back in easier.

Quick Reply: JetPilot Harness - 6 pt belts, no sub bar