Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   987 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum-125/)
-   -   Lightweight Battery Install W/Weights (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/926958-lightweight-battery-install-w-weights.html)

GT4John 04-18-2019 09:30 PM

So Scott and anyone else, I was YouTube surfing earlier today and ended up here:

In all my years, I've never heard of 'Registering' a new battery in a newer year car. I wonder if this may be part of the reason you're hearing people complain about their batteries not lasting very long. So, of course, more YouTube surfing and I ended up here:

That's specific to a 981 battery change registration. (I hate how the guy holds the pen)

Oh...and...being YouTube, I also found this highly....educational...video on how to replace a battery. I, uh, had to watch it a few times to make sure I understood. (Mildly NSFW...FYI)

Thanks!
John

Marine Blue 04-19-2019 12:22 AM

That last video was awesome, I would hire her to change my battery! :D

Just imagining having a neighbor like that wearing attire like that to work on her car. :corn:

Marine Blue 04-19-2019 12:24 AM

Ok back to the other two video’s, that is the first time I had heard of registering a new battery also. It makes me wonder if my charging system is messing with the new battery and more importantly why aren’t battery manufacturers instructing buyers to do this?

Antigravity 04-19-2019 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 15784121)
That last video was awesome, I would hire her to change my battery! :D

Well she couldn't lift a Group 48 Battery so your out of luck for the Porsche change out.... but if you got a Lithium battery give her a call.... should could flip that thing around like nothing...:cheers:

Antigravity 04-20-2019 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by GT4John (Post 15783747)
So Scott and anyone else, I was YouTube surfing earlier today and ended up here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk0FzopRjM0

In all my years, I've never heard of 'Registering' a new battery in a newer year car. I wonder if this may be part of the reason you're hearing people complain about their batteries not lasting very long. So, of course, more YouTube surfing and I ended up here:

That's specific to a 981 battery change registration. (I hate how the guy holds the pen)

Thanks!
John

Battery registration has been going on for a few years and even longer with BMWs.... IF you have been changing the battery with the same type.... FLA (flooded lead acid) for FLA... or AGM (absorbed glass matt) for AGM then your pretty good. I think this registering is part beneficial and part scammy mammy stuff. Overall I fully understand it and it potential benefits, on the other hand there is no evidence that battery life has been lengthened and if anything it seems the typical Lead/Acid battery is getting about 2-3 year now compared to when I was younger it was generally a solid 5 to 7 years....and longer

For the benefit side of things...Tthe manufacturers use newer alternators that can be controlled by the car's Computer systems to charge using certain charging profiles that match to a specific type of Battery, and can also not be "ON" and charging all the time as in the past era they were. So they can set a selectable charging curve for AGM, FLA, or even Lithium Batteries. The Porsche PIWIS has a Lithium Option as well as some BMWs and other Manufacturers that sometimes use Lithium. So I fully understand the special charging curve should be selected for a certain battery. But now they are starting to make you also REGISTER the battery with a Serial # from the Battery itself..... sort of forcing you to buy a specific model for that car when in fact most all the lead acid batteries are made by Johnson Controls and just a few others. From my perspective that is making the general owner THINK theyt cannot just use and off the shelf battery.... which in reality would be fine. So yes there is a benefit to set the charging system to a certain type of battery to get a little longer life a get the best type of charge to your specific battery. For example are in general AGM like a lower voltage Charging profile than flooded....

So you also understand, we sell lithium Batteries and the charging profile of AGM and FLOODED is acceptable to it as well as a Lithium Charging profile. So it won't be hurt by the other charging profiles... But IF you must select one, which many modern cars are requiring.... then if a Lithium Option is not available then we state to go with the AGM profile in the lowest Amp Hour selection available. ONly because it is a slightly lower charging voltage than the other options. But otherwise if you use a one of our newer batteries with the protections built in.... (RS-30, or new OEM Fit type) then its a drop in fit.