Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   987 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum-125/)
-   -   Any benefit to the sport button on 07 Manual? (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/915039-any-benefit-to-the-sport-button-on-07-manual.html)

maxpowers 01-24-2016 12:43 PM

Any benefit to the sport button on 07 Manual?

I have the Cayman S in high altitude (10,000 ft above sea level) and there are a lot of steep hills. Would the sport button help at all when going up the hills? Sometimes it feels like the car needs a little more power for these situations.

It seems like a lot of benefits it lists are just for the automatic.

LexVan 01-24-2016 12:48 PM

No. Only gives more throttle response and changes (lowers) the threshold when PSM kicks in.

Try grabbing a lower gear.

LexVan 01-24-2016 12:56 PM

I think an n/a motor at that elevation losses about 25% peak power. So, what your experiencing is normal and expected.

HoBoJoe 01-24-2016 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by maxpowers (Post 12954153)
I have the Cayman S in high altitude (10,000 ft above sea level) and there are a lot of steep hills. Would the sport button help at all when going up the hills? Sometimes it feels like the car needs a little more power for these situations.

It seems like a lot of benefits it lists are just for the automatic.

I liked it on my car, it changed the driving experience. However, for the money you'd be better off getting a cat back exhaust. The 987.1 gets a very good power gain from them because it deletes the post O2 cats.

maxpowers 01-25-2016 12:43 PM

I'm staying in 1st or 2nd. Obviously I'm still able to get up the hill, but it just doesn't have the acceleration I'd like.

Is there a model number for the cat back exhaust? Would either of the changes void my warranty?

HoBoJoe 01-25-2016 12:50 PM

You would want an aftermarket cat back exhaust, it will not void your warranty. It will however sound better and put a bigger smile on your face. Common exhausts for these cars are: Borla, Fabspeed, Remus, and AWE. Take a look at the classified here and on Planet-9 exhausts pop up on both often.

LexVan 01-25-2016 01:03 PM

Will it void your entire warranty? No. Could it void part of your warranty? Yes. If Porsche determined the aftermarket modification cause a downstream failure. They will void warranty. And the burden of proof is on you not Porsche.

LexVan 01-25-2016 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe (Post 12956757)
You would want an aftermarket cat back exhaust, it will not void your warranty.

This is poor and irresponsible advice.

HoBoJoe 01-25-2016 01:12 PM

See here: https://www.magnaflow.com/support/fa...tory-warranty/

"This legislation basically states that:

In order for a dealer/manufacturer to deny a warranty on a claimed part, they must PROVE that the part YOU installed/had installed DIRECTLY caused the failure of the part on which you’re claiming the warranty. "

So if your cat back utilizes the factory exhaust tips and they rust/break, no they won't cover it. But if your transmission/engine/climate control/etc has an issue they can not deny that claim based on a exhaust component.

DBH 01-25-2016 01:47 PM

Agree with HoBo. Porsche would have to show direct cause and effect to void a warranty claim. Also, the warranty itself will not be voided in its entirety. Each warranty claim is judged individually against the warranty. :rockon:

Difool 01-25-2016 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 12954173)
No. Only gives more throttle response and changes (lowers) the threshold when PSM kicks in. Try grabbing a lower gear.

I said this to a master tech and he corrected me to say that there is more to this, with subtle tweaks to the maps to optimize performance; had just come from a master class. I took this to mean that there choices that would be slightly different when optimizing between street and track dynamics.

Just relaying what I heard, take with a grain of salt, etc.

LTCMontana 01-29-2017 03:48 PM

I think they got all of the calls right. Let them race. Accidental contact shouldn't be punished. I thought Taylor's pass was picture perfect.