Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Brief Review of the Porsche Boxster Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 10:20 PM
Fiebrudo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Brief Review of the Porsche Boxster Spyder

A brief review of the Porsche Boxster Spyder.

My brief review is based on only 50 driven miles. Pictures to follow soon. (In parentheses I'll comment on what I would have done different). This is my first Porsche by the way.

-Drives like a go kart with a giant engine behind you. The steering wheel and changes of direction are telepathic. The thickness and diameter of the steering wheel are perfect, not too thin, not too thick. (The steering feel is perhaps just a little too light)

-Engine: the S in my opinion is underpowered, not to mention the regular boxster. The 3.8 is excellent, haven't had a chance to flex its muscle yet, but so far feels very strong (nothing wrong with porsche giving us the whole 400hp so it could achieve 0-60 in 3.5 sec or so, but oh well)

-Exhaust: Mesmerizing, addictive (I'm concern it generates too much attention)

-Suspension: perfect for a sports car.

-Handling: Very playful, wonder how easy it would be to get it loose and oversteer on demand/drift

-Sound system: Got the Bose, seems adequate for its function (wished the rear speakers were stronger/Lauder/closer to my ears, they sound a little muffled)

-Transmission: Sublime, best I ever tried, shifts are instantaneous, clutch takeoff just right (no opinion yet regarding the “tall gearing” everybody else complains about)

-Seats: I got the basic 2 way seats (electric backrest, manual up/down, manual forward/back) … And I think…. They are just perfect. (The 18 way does NOT have a memory function (should be a deal breaker for anybody) and in my opinion, the more you fiddle with it, the more uncomfortable you get, just my humble opinion. So far I don't miss the lack of lumbar support but in case, I'm aware of a few aftermarket options)

- Roof: To me, it looks great aesthetically speaking.

-Interior: The leather/Alcantara/ deviated stitching is just beautiful (Nevertheless, the price payed is a blatant ripoff)

Dislikes:

-Roof: Doesn't matter how much I justify myself: going back to basics, bonding with the car, etc… It's a pain……At least, we all need the extra exercise, it is really good for us, fights obesity, diabetes, hypertension, muscle de-conditioning, Alzheimer's, you name it. FYI, the manual recommends opening the flaps before pulling the roof (not shown on any of the videos out there). The flaps open on their own as the roof is pulled, but Porsche is trying to divert any future failure to damage from not opening the flaps, which is a painful extra step including walking around the car one extra time.

-Rear view camera: the image is a joke, a caricature, never seen an uglier picture like that on any car, it's like a cheap Chinese 50 cent part. Everything looks distorted and almost useless in poor light. Is this the norm on Porsche rear view cameras?

-Open top driving: my wife loves it, she is cocooned inside. I seat higher, it does affect my hairdo.

-Alert, alert, if you get Bose or CD-R Plus, you will be getting the XM wart, I guess eventually I'll ignore it.

-No swag: C’mon Porsche

-Tires: Pirellis instead of Michelin PS2s

-No stitching on the Steering wheel (doesn't make any sense, the GT4 has it, must be a German thing, letz Ze F@&k ze customer)

-Yellow side markers instead of clear (is this some sort of stupid USA only law?)

Overall, the Spyder is amazing, my dislikes are minor. This is going to be a wonderful ride, and I expect a classic I will keep forever.

“The last great analog car ever made”

That's it for now
Old 11-16-2015, 10:32 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

thank you for the write up.

I'm wondering if the exhaust is already potentially too loud in your opinion, what adding that awesome fabspeed header and exhaust setup will do... that's how we will get all of our missing power back (and then some)... 42wheel hp in midrange increase!!!!!! you just can't leave that on the table, it's there for the taking, robbed from us by porsche! can't wait to try this in an open-top car like the Spyder.

just found a video of a gt4 with the setup.. OMG
Old 11-16-2015, 10:38 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Can you get more specific and spell out the issue with the flaps and future failure?
Old 11-16-2015, 11:47 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write up!
Why would you get the wart with bose only?
Old 11-17-2015, 12:22 AM
Fiebrudo
Intermediate

I have both (CD-R PLUS AND Bose), don't know which one triggered the wart. No mention of XM radio on the configuration on either one.

Regarding side flaps, let me copy the instructions from the manual
Old 11-17-2015, 01:17 AM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiebrudo
I have both (CD-R PLUS AND Bose), don't know which one triggered the wart. No mention of XM radio on the configuration on either one.

CDR plus comes with satellite radio.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 949 Posts

Originally Posted by Fiebrudo

CD-R Plus triggered it. It includes XM. PCM doesn't.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 AM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 949 Posts

Underblu beat me to it
Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Why would you get the wart with bose only?
You're right. You shouldn't. The Bose Surround System option ($700) includes:

10 speakers, including active subwoofer and center speaker integrated into the vehicle body;

8-channel amplifier and a total system output of 445 Watts;

BOSE® technologies Centerpoint® 2 and SurroundStage® enable reproduction of stereo sources in surround mode; and

AudioPilot® noise compensation technology.

None of these features in the Bose Surround System option should trigger the wart if you're going with the base CDR ($0).
Old 11-17-2015, 01:32 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

All you guys beat me to it!
Old 11-17-2015, 01:09 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks for a detailed review Fiebrudo; and, congratulations.

Your very brief experience with the car sounds pretty positive. Consistent with universal reviews. The steering feel seems like the only possible downer (not withstanding your minor niggles). I am bit disappointed that why didn't they simply tune the GT3 for this application. The steering feel seems to getting better in each iteration and application. I am sure they will reclaim "all" of the hydraulic setup's feel, if they want to. It appears GT4 has better feel than the Spyder.

Rear View Camera: I am glad I am not getting this. Porsche still has a long way to go in some areas to catch up with quality luxury makers.

Top: What's your annoyance level that the rear trunk can't be opened (fully) with the top up? This is gonna bug me! Miata drivers would be laughing at us!!

cheers.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Fiebrudo
Intermediate

Regarding not being able to fully open the rear trunk to me is a non issue. Remember that you have a "Frunk" in front that is actually bigger than your rear trunk, available anytime.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:40 PM
Fiebrudo
Intermediate

The steering is just a little light, however, perhaps I just need to acclimatize to it compared to my other cars, or perhaps the feeling is related to how light and tossable the car is compared to anything else. It is definitively surgically precise and a joy to drive.

From the Top Gear review of the new 911 now with turbos

"Got it. So now I can spot it, I can avoid it and go for the old one."

The Boxster Spyder is, despite the little annoying things I mentioned, probably the last great car ever made for anybody who loves to drive
Old 11-17-2015, 05:16 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

The Top Gear quote on the 991.2 is revealing. I might consider the GTS Cab depending on how well it gets developed in next 2-3 years. It would be a lot worse when they switch to hybrid (coming up real fast)!! (a Porschepile got to have both mid and rear engines in the collection!)

As for the analog Spyder, we will get one more shot in the form of next gen Spyder. It will be NA as well (my forecast).
Old 11-20-2015, 04:28 PM
Fiebrudo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Can you get more specific and spell out the issue with the flaps and future failure?
This is from the manual

Fully open the rear luggage compartment lid.
Open the convertible-top flaps on the driver’s and passenger’s side.
HINWEIS
Risk of damage to the vehicle or convertible top.

Always open the convertible-top flaps before operating the manual convertible top.

Quick Reply: A Brief Review of the Porsche Boxster Spyder