Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next R?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 PM
AMGsound
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Next R?

Im in canada, ive been looking for a cayman R and just when im ready to buy one in the US where there is some supply, the C$ crashes in my face and such a purchase dont make financial sense anymore.

Now my question. Is the upcoming GTS the new R? Do you guys think there will be an R repeat, with bucket seats, when they are FINALLY approved for NA, MT, and all the R goodies, or lack of thereoff....???
From my research, I dont think buying brand new car is a good financial trade (yea, of course you say), EXEPT for special models like GT3, Spyder, R of recent P history. 997.2 GTS, although an awesome car and best 997 to me south of GT3, the depreciation has been harsh.
OR: GTS now and 981.2 R?

Bottom line, im trying to pin point the next classic low volume production model outside of GT3 pricing territory.
Old 02-04-2014, 01:46 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't mean this as a criticism, but if you have to think about $$ this much a Porsche may not be for you. Canadian dollars "crashing" when you've found an R that you like?? What, so you pay a couple thousand more? Buying new cars have never made good financial sense. If you don't need to have a brand new car or if you don't need to spec it just a certain way, buy a used car and save thousands. Besides, since when has buying expensive sports cars been a logical decision? It's an emotional one and one that doesn't often make logical or practical sense.

All cars depreciate. Even GT3s, Rs, Spyders, etc. Only exceptions being very rare examples (GT3RS 4.0) and those with cult status (997 GT3s with manual transmission and w/out RWS).

Again, if you have to think of $$ this much you'll be in for a nasty surprise when something goes wrong on the Porsche. Many repairs can cost in the thousands. Replacement engine? Over $15,000 though not as much as a GT3 engine ($35,000-40,000).
Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Also, the Cayman R and Bosxter Spyder were the final iterations of the 987 line. I doubt there will be a 981 equivalent for some time. Although I'm sure Porsche will have a handful of 'special' versions.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 PM
AMGsound
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very true indeed, they never/rarely make financial sense, and always emotional sense, im just tryin to balance 'em off!!
But, i should have mentionned that i already own a 2012 991S on which i had an amazing deal (i think id be flat on it y/y)...so i may want to add another car to the garage without getting killed by depreciation.
Just to give you guys an example of where my head's at right now: i consider a Spyder (if my in-law can finally let go of his!!!!!), a Cayman R, 2014 Cayman S...OR Ferrari 355, my childhood bedroom poster. I know, cheap to buy, stupid expensive to maintain and run, pretty much exactly the opposite of other cars im looking @....and thats where emotion/sense/rational spin in my head!!! Ooooohhhhh.....the sound of that V8.........with a stick............oups, its broken, major service time......aaaarrrrrhhhhhh!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2014, 09:32 AM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AMGsound
...Ferrari 355, my childhood bedroom poster...
making me feel a little outdated here...

Donn
Old 02-05-2014, 03:55 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

I would go for the 355 as long as you can swing the maintenance. Why? Because you only live once. The Spyder would be my second choice but I'm not sure where they stand as far as future depreciation goes. If they follow the same trend as the 89 Speedsters and other current collectables I would say they will depreciate for the next 6 years and then flatten out for a while. Might be another 5 years after that before they start appreciating.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AMGsound
Ferrari 355, my childhood bedroom poster. ....Ooooohhhhh.....the sound of that V8.........with a stick............
That's actually pretty neat what you said. I agree with Afshin; if you can afford it I'd go with the F355. Will be very expensive to maintain for sure, but to realize a childhood dream??? How awesome...

Quick Reply: Next R?