Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hoosier HCs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:21 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Hoosier HCs?

Question:

How many HCs are you guys getting out of Hoosier R6s in 987s? For DEs - not racing - that is.

TIA.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Moving up to the hardcore drugs, I see.

I'm still resisting. LOL.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:01 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm addicted, but I have to be able to drive them on the street and I don't trust any Hoosier to survive the first pothole (or empty aluminum can).

Are you trailering, Vetman?
Old 01-25-2014, 04:27 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by orthojoe
Moving up to the hardcore drugs, I see.

I'm still resisting. LOL.
Not quite.. yet. I'm buying a bunch of used Hoosiers from someone with approx. 5 HCs each, and was wondering how much life was left in them. Sounds like there are 987 guys getting 16-20 HCs during DEs (vs. racing where they may be done after 10 or so HCs), so 1 or maybe 2 events left in them. Not going to Hoosiers permanently but I just couldn't pass up the price of these tires.

Still running NT-01s (well, as of last DE in November, anway) but I had been thinking about getting BF Goodrich R1s or Hankook Z214s as my next set though.

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I'm addicted, but I have to be able to drive them on the street and I don't trust any Hoosier to survive the first pothole (or empty aluminum can).

Are you trailering, Vetman?
Yeah, I began trailering last year to start running R compounds. I had been on street tires for 40-some days. It was fun and educational (even if they weren't very fast) while it lasted.

As you've mentioned, Hoosier R6s would be terrible tires to run on the street. They don't last long and are expensive. Barely any tread either, albeit I doubt you'll run into much rain where you live. If you'll be driving them on the street as well as the track, my suggestions are (for R compounds): NT-01s, MPSCs, or R888s (gasp).
Old 01-25-2014, 03:57 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Yeah, I began trailering last year to start running R compounds. I had been on street tires for 40-some days. It was fun and educational (even if they weren't very fast) while it lasted.

As you've mentioned, Hoosier R6s would be terrible tires to run on the street. They don't last long and are expensive. Barely any tread either, albeit I doubt you'll run into much rain where you live. If you'll be driving them on the street as well as the track, my suggestions are (for R compounds): NT-01s, MPSCs, or R888s (gasp).
Yes, what rain we get comes in doses - typically 1-3 days of semi-heavy, then nothing for months. That's why the state feels they don't ever need to do road repair.
My friend put Hoosiers on his Lotus (Europa), so I got to see them unmounted - very lightweight construction. I don't think the carcass/belts will last on any street/road I have to drive on.

I completely agree on your streetable R-compound choices, though I'm tempted to try some Trofeos, next time.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:28 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stevecolletti
I completely agree on your streetable R-compound choices, though I'm tempted to try some Trofeos, next time.
Good choice (Trofeos), $$. Had forgotten about Dunlop Maxx Race also.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:27 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Good choice (Trofeos), $$. Had forgotten about Dunlop Maxx Race also.
I've yet to see a good, comparative review of the Maxx Race. They are (or at least at introduction, were) less expensive than most of the stock size, R-compound tires. It would be nice to have more competition in the market.

BYW, when are we getting the MPSC2s??? They've been right around the corner for almost 2 years? The Michelin guys at the Monterey Historics last year had no clue when they'd be real.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:43 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Don't 991 GT3s come with MPSC2s? I might be wrong though.

Are they not yet available to general public? Interested to know how they'll compare to the ol' MPSCs and other R comps.
Old 01-26-2014, 12:04 AM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Don't 991 GT3s come with MPSC2s? I might be wrong though.

Are they not yet available to general public? Interested to know how they'll compare to the ol' MPSCs and other R comps.
That's what I've read, and I think Tirerack shows them available in the 20"s and 21"s, but I've never seen them available there in any size. I also haven't seen them on a 991 'GT3', yet - always the Maxx Race.

Michelin has been claiming that the MPSC2s are supposed to be available in normal sizes, too. I'll still wait for a real test on them, though since I worry that they will be as squishy in the sidewalls as the MPSSs.

Quick Reply: Hoosier HCs?