Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who considered a Boxster...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:52 AM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boxster...

Originally Posted by mcomet
Here's my take, coming from a 986 Boxster S I had for about a year.

Decide if you really are a convertible person or not. How cold is too cold to put the top down? How hot is too hot not to roast? Do you care about wearing sunscreen a lot? How much do you like the noise? Do you care if you drive with your top up a lot of the time? Do you care about how the top will look after several years of exposure etc...

In my case while I definitely enjoyed my convertible time I switched to coupe. In the CA Bay area there are lots of great drives with the top down. That said I started getting a little tired of sunscreen, and hat all the time. The wife ended up NOT being a convertible person at all. It was either too hot, too cold, or will mess up the hair too much. I think there was a 2 degree setting on a good day where she might agree to top down.

I have the new Cayman...I love it. It looks great, and I don't worry about how to drive. Too cold out doesn't matter anymore. If I want I drop my windows. It's not the true convertible experience but I enjoy the car. Do I miss the drop top...maybe sometimes. I haven't gone thru a summer with the Cayman yet...but for me, I love the Coupe looks and fact that I don't have a top to worry about. I can be at freeway speeds and put the windows up...heh.

If you have time, rent a convertible for a week. Decide if you will run with the top down on your way to work and back etc... How does your significant other feel? For real? I also hated the way the 986 looked with top up. I think the 981 looks decent now both ways. Last thing is decide if you care about the Boxster name vs other Porsches. With any 981 you aren't getting a "911". With the Cayman it's a bit faster tho and I think a lot of people give it a little bit more respect than the Boxster (which is ridiculous all of them are great cars). I will say, women generally like the convertible more...so if you are single...convertible might be a good thing..heh.

Good luck deciding!
A good list of thoughts. Especially the rental part. Thanks for posting as some things are forgot when a good fitting car is found but one has never owned a drop top before.

Be safe
Patty
Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you're tracking the car, you probably will hardly if even feel difference between the two vehicles. So, comes down to whether you want a convertible or coupe. Either way you'll be happy with either choice.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:04 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

In the end. I loved the roofline of the cayman. Besides that, in NJ a convertible is not easy. And the thought of leaving the top up for 5 or 6 months a year while it gets salt stained was not fun
Old 02-06-2014, 04:17 PM
vladie22
Instructor

Received 240 Likes on 46 Posts

with me it came down to - hardtop vs. top down driving . Since i live in Florida , the weather is perfect for convertibles , plus i had never owned one before . They both drove very similar ....Boxster won
Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 PM
simon85
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the dealer to test drive the cayman S. Really really liked and my seller proposed me a 2011 boxster spyder, which looked really really good. Price was 80k for a used car, but it's still rare. Mine was 85k, well optioned and brand new...

Boxster Spyders look amazing but the roof is a little impractical for a Canadian. If I was living somewhere sunny, Boxster spyder all the way or lotus exige S roadster ;-)

It's still available by the way (PDK, sport chrono, ptv, red dials, alcantara...)

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/B...howcpo=ShowCPO
Old 02-06-2014, 07:48 PM
mcomet
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Boxster spyders. Real spyders are fairly rare and as such have held their value pretty well. Around 60$k here in USA I think. Hasn't dropped a lot. Probably a better investment but with that roof pretty much a sunshine only car hehe

Quick Reply: For those who considered a Boxster...