Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   987 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum-125/)
-   -   Any way to make the car's oil warm up quicker? (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/783215-any-way-to-make-the-cars-oil-warm-up-quicker.html)

Yogi911 12-12-2017 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated (Post 14663675)
Couldn't agree more Flam, and since the sport chrono is the most jewelry looking piece in the entire dash you think they could have lit it up with the rest of the gauges?.

Maybe you know this and you are just complaining but the sport chrono clock does light up when it is "in use" and the lights are on...there for you could run the stop watch and have it lit up if it bothers you.
At least they got it right in the 981 and it can be used as a clock.

terbiumactivated 12-12-2017 08:49 AM

Did not know that, would much prefer it was a clock, maybe the next owner will track it and enjoy the timer.

Boxsterman 12-12-2017 01:02 PM

What I do with my Boxster is let the engine warm to the point where the idle get to its regular idle (700rpm), then let it sit running for a couple minutes before driving. I keep the rpms below 3k until the oil reaches proper temp. I have never encountered an issue doing this.

JCtx 12-12-2017 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by mrhamamg (Post 14663205)
I’m just used to how quickly my gt3 warms now at 2 miles versus 5-10 for the gts. Will stick to 5w50 and take longer drives

I think GT3s don't use that overly complex (and unnecessary) heat management system all other Porsche sportcars use, but could be wrong. At any rate, it shouldn't take any longer than a normal thermostat system since oil is heated/cooled by the coolant... unless there's an issue with your system. Are you noticing that lately? Or has always been the case? You could compare notes with other 991GTS owners on this forum or the 'other'. As far as oil viscosity, if you don't track that car, I'd definitely stick with the recommended 0/40, since as mentioned before, it'd lubricate quicker, due to being less thick when cold. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Yogi911 (Post 14664217)
At least they got it right in the 981 and it can be used as a clock.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. I had mine off, and bothered me it didn't light up at night. Looked wrong. Ha ha. Until I bought my brother's BGTS and it was lit at night, noticed it was working. Activated mine and it lighted ever since. It looks cool working, and it's nice that it displays the time in both digital and analog. And the good news is it stops working a few minutes after shutting car off, so at least it doesn't wear out (and discharge battery) while stopped.

FlamsteadHill 12-12-2017 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Boxsterman (Post 14664918)
What I do with my Boxster is let the engine warm to the point where the idle get to its regular idle (700rpm), then let it sit running for a couple minutes before driving. I keep the rpms below 3k until the oil reaches proper temp. I have never encountered an issue doing this.

1. What is "the proper temp"?
2. How are you finding that info?

LexVan 12-12-2017 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boxsterman

Do the opposite of everything written here. Start the car. Put on your seat belt, and go. Shift at 3,999 rpm.

mrhamamg 12-14-2017 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by elp_jc (Post 14665499)
I think GT3s don't use that overly complex (and unnecessary) heat management system all other Porsche sportcars use, but could be wrong. At any rate, it shouldn't take any longer than a normal thermostat system since oil is heated/cooled by the coolant... unless there's an issue with your system. Are you noticing that lately? Or has always been the case? You could compare notes with other 991GTS owners on this forum or the 'other'. As far as oil viscosity, if you don't track that car, I'd definitely stick with the recommended 0/40, since as mentioned before, it'd lubricate quicker, due to being less thick when cold. Good luck.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did. I had mine off, and bothered me it didn't light up at night. Looked wrong. Ha ha. Until I bought my brother's BGTS and it was lit at night, noticed it was working. Activated mine and it lighted ever since. It looks cool working, and it's nice that it displays the time in both digital and analog. And the good news is it stops working a few minutes after shutting car off, so at least it doesn't wear out (and discharge battery) while stopped.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure what heat management system GT3 uses but once up to temp, it just stays between 195-205 degrees. Doesn't matter if I'm driving like a granny or redlining

My GTS has always taken a while to warm and my previous GTS was the same. I can't remember if switching to 5W50 increased that warm up time but it makes sense that 0W40 would lubricate more quickly. I may switch back to 0W40 this oil change and see if I notice any improvement in warm up times. If I do switch to 0W40, I'll try to take a scientific approach and measure several warm up times and mileage with 5W50 versus 0W40 and report back with my findings.

Dave in Chicago 12-14-2017 02:31 PM

I miss the 944/968 series as winter cars. The clever Oil/Coolant heat exchanger meant that both came up to temp faster (read, makes quick heat in the winter).

Oh, and I want my oil temp gauge back, Porsche! It's about the only thing I find lacking in the '05 Boxster S so far.

Dave
'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone, but not forgotten)

Boxsterman 12-14-2017 03:18 PM

Lex, I do what I know is best for the car in the long run, like most people.

Sterling Doc 12-17-2017 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago (Post 14669533)
I miss the 944/968 series as winter cars. The clever Oil/Coolant heat exchanger meant that both came up to temp faster (read, makes quick heat in the winter).

Oh, and I want my oil temp gauge back, Porsche! It's about the only thing I find lacking in the '05 Boxster S so far.

Dave
'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone, but not forgotten)

That and the coolant pipe to the interior heat ran right over the headers, LOL.

To help answer the OP's question, you could add in a water/oil heat exchanger, like the non-turbo 944's had. These acts as oil coolers when the oil is hot, and oil warmers when it is cold/less than coolant temp. Not sure it would make enough difference to be worth it, though.

okie981 12-18-2017 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 14666175)
Do the opposite of everything written here. Start the car. Put on your seat belt, and go. Shift at 3,999 rpm.

This. Really, just this. And make sure you never have Sport mode active until the oil reaches your favorite temperature. Engaging Sport mode on 981 cars activates a more aggressive engine (and therefore oil) cooling map.

Smitten 12-18-2017 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by okie981 (Post 14676476)
This. Really, just this. And make sure you never have Sport mode active until the oil reaches your favorite temperature. Engaging Sport mode on 981 cars activates a more aggressive engine (and therefore oil) cooling map.

Tell me more about this 'engine cooling map'. Are you suggesting that the thermostat is electrically controlled?

okie981 12-18-2017 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Smitten (Post 14676614)
Tell me more about this 'engine cooling map'. Are you suggesting that the thermostat is electrically controlled?

Yes, the thermostat on 981 cars is electrically controlled, with a heating element I believe. If I have time, I can provide the pages right out of the 981 vehicle tech article that describes in more detail the cooling system and how Sport mode makes it run cooler. You can do a test yourself. Get your 981 fully warmed up and note the oil temperature. Now turn on Sport mode and watch the oil temp over the next 5 to 10 minutes. It will be noticeably cooler. Now turn Sport mode off and watch the temp go back up. And I believe also if you leave Sport mode off but start driving the car like you are on track with high RPM and full throttle acceleration, the ECU automatically engages the same cooling profile to keep oil/water temps as cool as possible.

jdavis8361 12-18-2017 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 981WC (Post 10859694)
I've got a 981 2.7 Boxster and it usually takes quite a long time for the oil to get to operating temperature. Usually 15 to 20 minutes of driving. My last car only took about 5 minutes each time. I'd really like to be able to wring it out a lot sooner each time I drive it so I'm wondering if there's any hardware anyone knows about that I could install that would decrease warm-up time?

Does something like an oil warmer exist that turns on automatically when you start the car but then automatically deactivates after the oil reaches operating temp or after a certain number of minutes?

You might wish to consider an oil thermostat such as these:

okie981 12-18-2017 11:32 PM

As promised, here is the section out of the Porsche "Service Information Technik Introduction" for the 2013 Boxster and Boxster S (for all 981 cars).

Map-controlled thermostat
The map-controlled thermostat is an insertion map-controlled thermostat with a
heating element. The electric heating element of the map-controlled thermostat is
energized via the DME control unit. The flow of current through the heating element
(electric resistor) causes it to heat up, which in turn influences the expansion
element in the thermostat and enables it to be opened. Actuation by the DME
control unit is performed by means of pulse width modulation (between 2.5 and
97.5%), which means that the coolant temperature level can be continuously
controlled.

The usual coolant temperature when the engine of the Boxster (S) is at operating
temperature is 221° F (105° C); it is reduced to 185° F (85° C) during sporty driving
and in Sport/Sport Plus mode by opening (energizing) the thermostat. This supports
a performance-oriented driving style.

The DME control unit can also close the thermostat by switching off the heating
current. The coolant temperature must be less than 216° F (102° C) for this to be
possible. The map-controlled thermostat starts to open at 216° F (102° C) +/-
36° F (2° C) when de-energized and is fully open at 239° F (115° C).

The coolant temperature is measured by the engine coolant temperature sensor
and the radiator outlet coolant temperature sensor and transmitted to the DME
control unit.