Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I getting a good deal on this 07.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:57 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Am I getting a good deal on this 07.....

looked at an dealer demo 2007 Boxster S. The car has 1,900 miles. The sticker is $63.3k and I can get it for $54k. Is this a good deal?

If I lease it for 5yrs, with 12k miles per year with $5k total out of pocket, my payment would be $717 per month (this includes sales tax, etc.) Does this sound like a good lease payment?

thanks

G
Old 09-05-2007, 09:54 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

What is the residual value?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:42 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

I don't know, I have to find out, the lease is through porsche.

Is this a good price $54k?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:12 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

$54K sounds like a pretty good deal. That's 15% off sticker.
I'm always somewhat cautious about buying a demo car though as it's difficult to know how it's been driven. Can you have the porsche dealership run a report of the engine revs? Was it broken in properly?

5 year lease sounds like a long time! Are you extending out the lease to drop the payments? Have you considered what the monthly payment would be to finance it for 60/72/84 months?

Also...is this a CPO car? Will you have warranty for the duration of the lease? I've learned to never lease a car that's not in warranty.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:35 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default '07 Boxster S

Seems slightly high to me although there are few data points to draw on and I do not know where you are located. Wholesale auction would be about $48,500and high retail $52-53K. The season is coming to a close in many parts of the country so demand is soft.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SKM
Seems slightly high to me although there are few data points to draw on and I do not know where you are located. Wholesale auction would be about $48,500and high retail $52-53K. The season is coming to a close in many parts of the country so demand is soft.
I am in New Jersey
Old 09-06-2007, 12:04 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
5 year lease sounds like a long time! Are you extending out the lease to drop the payments? Have you considered what the monthly payment would be to finance it for 60/72/84 months?

Also...is this a CPO car? Will you have warranty for the duration of the lease? I've learned to never lease a car that's not in warranty.
I want to get the payment as low as possible. I have an 02 C4S that I own free and clear (I'm keeping it) and the Boxster S would replace my 05 Audi S4. I want to keep the payments as close as possible to my current lease, which is $579 a month.

If I finance the Boxster S for 60 months, my payment would be over $1,000 a month. With 72 or 84 months, I would be upside down on equity for most of the term.

This car would be sold as a new car. 4yr 50k warranty would start the day of purchase
Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

With a 5 year lease you'll be upside down for most of the term as well.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Endaar
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This car would be sold as a new car. 4yr 50k warranty would start the day of purchase
Make sure that's true. A demo will be titled as a new car, because it's never been registered. But typically the car will be "in service" once it becomes a demo, and that's when the warranty would start - not when you take delivery.

Hard to say on the price - doesn't seem to be much out there in an S.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Endaar
Make sure that's true. A demo will be titled as a new car, because it's never been registered. But typically the car will be "in service" once it becomes a demo, and that's when the warranty would start - not when you take delivery.

Hard to say on the price - doesn't seem to be much out there in an S.
I believe that the only penality that you get on a warranty on a typical demo is fewer miles. Manufacturers will sometimes offer significant incentives on cars sold in a particular time frame. In order to lock in that discount, a Dealer may take ownership of that car, and the warranty clock starts ticking at that point. A couple of months ago, I was interested in an '06 Z4 M and although the car only had 25 miles on the odometer, the warranty period began in December 2006.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Endaar
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that the only penality that you get on a warranty on a typical demo is fewer miles.
I can only speak from experience with GM vehicles, but that's not the case. You'd lose the time as well.

Manufacturers will sometimes offer significant incentives on cars sold in a particular time frame. In order to lock in that discount, a Dealer may take ownership of that car, and the warranty clock starts ticking at that point.
Not saying it doesn't happen, but that's the kind of stuff you can lose an auto franchise over.

Endaar

Quick Reply: Am I getting a good deal on this 07.....