Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it possible to fit a bicycle in a Cayman?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:15 PM
mikey175
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another triathlete here. I am constantly thinking of ways to get more utility out of my 911, especially with regard to bike hauling. With the hatch open on the Targa, I tried once to fit in my Kestrel, front wheel off. No go. I bought the Porche roof rack, which works and looks OK. But -- and this is a big BUT -- VERY noisy at speed. And, once you add something like a Thule wind fairing, it just looked awful. So, I lived with it for one season and now just use one of our old cars when the bike needs to be hauled. But I feel for you...being able to drive my 911 to races and rides would be perfection!

You should do a search here for bike racks. There is a guy that developed a removable system that can be installed to the tail of a Boxter or 911. Pretty cool, but I was not crazy about drilling into my car and was worried about frame flex on my bike as wind came up and over the car. You should at least check it out.

I may be the only person excited about the Panamera...but a four door P-car with a hatchback would solve all my needs. Good luck!

-- M
Old 12-06-2006, 03:38 PM
mikey175
Racer

One more thing...wouldn't a trunk mounted rack, like a HunchBack (sp?), be able to clip to the Cayman's hatch? There is a guy here in ATL that hangs a SARIS Bones rack off the back of his C4S cab.

-- M
Old 12-06-2006, 05:37 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the "Willwood" system on my Boxster.

http://www.willwoodsystem.com/

I have nothing but positive comments for this unit. It is quiet at speed. It can be installed in a few hours and once installed the rack can be put on or taken off in 2-3 minutes.

I am not sure if it will work on a 987, but it may be worth a call.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:22 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Depends upon the bike... I have a bike that fits in my Boxster's front..

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I haven't been up-close with a Cayman yet; could I fit my road bike in the back of one? The front wheel [obviously] would have to come off.

trunk.

Have to remove the front wheel, but all of it fits.

Drove into Eugene Or. and stopped at Bike Friday's and had sales person show me a demo bike would fit before I ordered my bicycle from there.

Road bike, with 20" wheels, 24 speeds. Visit www.bikefriday.com and check out the model lines.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:55 PM
mikey175
Racer

Originally Posted by Ray S
I use the "Willwood" system on my Boxster.

http://www.willwoodsystem.com/

I have nothing but positive comments for this unit. It is quiet at speed. It can be installed in a few hours and once installed the rack can be put on or taken off in 2-3 minutes.

I am not sure if it will work on a 987, but it may be worth a call.
Just curious...do you feel your bike frame incurs any damage being put sideways against the wind with no protection from the wind or anything else hitching the top part of the frame to your car?

-- M
Old 12-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have driven the car hundreds of miles to many triathalons in the Midwest with no problems or damage to the car or bikes (during the summer I use it weekly). I would not use it with a disk rear wheel but I have not had any issues with this set up even with the rear spoiler "up" (wink/wink)

The rack is very well engineered and the mounts to the car are substantial. However, you really don't notice them when the rack is off the car.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:14 AM
mikey175
Racer

I have driven the car hundreds of miles to many triathalons in the Midwest with no problems or damage to the car or bikes (during the summer I use it weekly). I would not use it with a disk rear wheel but I have not had any issues with this set up even with the rear spoiler "up" (wink/wink)

The rack is very well engineered and the mounts to the car are substantial. However, you really don't notice them when the rack is off the car.
Thanks for the tip. I have been thinking about going this route for some time.

-- M
Old 12-10-2006, 05:27 AM
kostas
Track Day

buy the roof bars and bike accessory - I have done it (2 bikes + windsurf on top of cayman)
Old 12-11-2006, 10:53 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your S4. What year was it?

I currently have an 05 S4 sedan along with my C4S. The Cayman S is a great choice if you don't need a car with a back seat.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:36 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did it with my Boxster.

You will need to remove both wheels. Put the frame in the passenger seat and the wheels in the hatchback.

Bring a towel to protect the seats.
please post how you got a road bike in a Boxster.
I had a birdautomotive rack installed and some a-hole smashed it while I was in a strip mall. of course he took off. $400 down the tubes. Didn't have it replaced.
I have doubts about the toe weight capacity of those very heavy yakima and thule carriers being attached to the bumperette mounting holes.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 AM
gary mermel
Instructor

I have a Bike Friday (12 years old, folds to fit in a suitcase and they are a LOT lighter/functional now...) that travels very easily on airplanes and rides so well (except for wieght) that after a few miles it feels like my home bike (litespeed vortex). It fit in a 944 cab trunk. When I got my 996, an issue was "did it fit". No problem. In the front hatch, used the soft travel bag, and took it to work to ride during breaks without a problem. Also settles the "got my bike ripped off of the rack" since it's locked int the trunk. Unless the Cayman front is much different from the 996 (the Boxster's then was identical), you should have no problems.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:49 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
Sorry to hear about your S4. What year was it?

I currently have an 05 S4 sedan along with my C4S. The Cayman S is a great choice if you don't need a car with a back seat.
My S4 was a 2006. I bought it in January '06.

I actually decided an '05 M3 coupe instead of a Cayman S. The price difference between the two cars was too large ($30k) to justify, and the M3 is strictly street-only. The M3 is like an old friend - I used to have an '03 that I used as a track car - and I'm glad to have one again. Also, it's a nice contrast to the 997.

But I think this thread is still useful for those considering the bicycle-in-Cayman contortion.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to fit a bicycle in a Cayman?